Kitchen Scale

Options
What are the benefits of getting a kitchen scale? ive always seen people using kitchen scales but never considered it til now. Whats the point of having one over normal cup/ teaspoon/table spoon measurements?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Accuracy
  • DISCIPLINEEQUALSFREEDOM
    Options
    I weigh everything, just more accurate.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Accuracy. I can fit twice the amount of grated cheese in a cup by cramming it in than just scooping it. How much is in there is also affected by how finely grated it is.

With a food scale I know exactly how much I'm eating.

Calories in food are measured by weight, not volume (4 cal per 1 gram of protein or carb, 9 cal by 1 gram of fat). So when you measure instead of weigh, you are inserting a variable which affects the accuracy of your count.

• rustypep
    rustypep Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It defiantly opens your eyes once you start measuring portions of meats and nuts. I am glad I did it as it was a reality check I needed. I just didn't know it. Accuracy is key as once you nail down your food measurements then the only variability left is how well you are estimating exercise calories. The scale helps you from not fighting accuracy issues on two fronts. A two front war is much harder to win.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's more accurate, and it's much easier than measuring with cups/spoons. You can weigh right in the dish you're eating out of and zero out after each ingredient. Nothing extra to wash! I love my kitchen scale!!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Accuracy. A cup or spoon is not as accurate as weighing.
    Weighing is quicker and easier than measuring out some items. For example, you are making a sandwich. Put your bread on the scale, tare it. Add mayo. Tare. Add mustard. Tare. Add cheese. Tare. Add ham. You quickly know exactly how much each component was and have no extra dishes.
    There are things that don't fit in measuring cups well like pasta or a whole potato.