Should I leave Weight Watchers back to MFP?

gooz71
gooz71 Posts: 97 Member
edited December 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,

I have been with WW for awhile now and am down over 20 pounds (just to get this out of the way, I am not concerned about having to pay for membership fees). They just changed the program (AGAIN) and I am more of a picky eater, so this new program will be much tougher for me seeing as I don't eat lentils, chickpeas, grilled chicken, etc. (all of the new zero point foods) and have no plans to start eating them. I have been losing just fine without them.

I have gotten so used to the "points" system I'm almost afraid to come back and use calories. Isn't that crazy?!

One of the reasons I liked WW was also for their community. Everyone on the app is so supportive, helpful and positive. Sometimes on MFP I was afraid to leave a comment because it's almost like everyone jumps on you (and not in a good/helpful way).

Any WW members on here that jumped ship (other than money reasons)?

Any advice would be appreciated. It's to the point that I feel like WW is the "be all - end all" way to lose weight. :/

Thank you

Replies

• jlouber
    jlouber Posts: 11 Member
    I started WW about 6 weeks ago. I just did a 12 week promotion and won't be renewing. I love the weekly meetings/weigh-ins for accountability, but don't like the points. It's not flexible enough for me so I stopped with points and came back here. Same success with both, but MFP is so much better for tracking. I still go to the meetings for the encouragement/community and will miss that aspect of it, but not the points at all.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I am not overly familiar with WW and I don't know how their community works, but my gut reaction is if you are seeing the results you want to see, and are happy with your current system then there is no need to mess with a good thing.

I would guess there is the option to do smaller groups in their community, maybe you should look for a group that wants to stick to the old WW plan, or create one yourself?

• Loug1983
    Loug1983 Posts: 89 Member
    I don't know WW so I might be missing something, but couldn't you just continue to follow the old system and still attend the meetings for the group support you like?

You have found a way of eating that suits you and is working so why would you change it? If they somehow monitor what you're eating so that you can't attend the meetings without following the new plan then I would suggest leaving them and going it alone. Either by continuing to follow the old plan independently or by using MFP to track calories.

If following the MFP route is the option you choose there's no need to change the way you're eating now as that is working for you, MFP would just help you track how much you're eating.
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Hey, I have a coworker who has weight watchers I guess if someone isn't familiar with calorie counting, or understand enough about how to lose weight the program is good for them. I have a coworker who just started to lose weight, and she's on it and is losing weight. I've never been on that program, but I've lost almost 40 pounds now, so I guess different things work for different people.
  • bethjl96
    bethjl96 Posts: 18 Member
    I have done weight watchers for years and almost always had success....until smart points came along....I left weight watchers mostly because of the money...I was so sick of paying with no results. I made the switch to MFP about a month ago and so far it’s going well. I find the app is easy to use...especially if you tend to eat a lot of the same foods.
    Just my 2 cents
  • NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    I did WW for years, even becoming lifetime member in 2010, Money was never an issue with me I just would rather count the calories and not the points. I have gained some back since being married and switching jobs but I am back at it. You could always do WW the style you are used to instead of the new way they are switching to also.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    The advantage of calorie counting is that it won't change in a month or a year. WW seems to change their point system periodically. Why not eat what you were eating and making progress with and log it?

If you don't like MFP community there are other calorie counting sites and weight loss communities.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    The advantage of calorie counting is that it won't change in a month or a year. WW seems to change their point system periodically. Why not eat what you were eating and making progress with and log it?

If you don't like MFP community there are other calorie counting sites and weight loss communities.

Yes, this is what gives me pause. Calorie counting, I had to learn once. I would be exhausted changing my strategy every two years or so with WW. Plus, I can eat a lot of tofu and beans, so I don't think their newest plan would be a very good fit for me personally.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    gooz71 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have been with WW for awhile now and am down over 20 pounds (just to get this out of the way, I am not concerned about having to pay for membership fees). They just changed the program (AGAIN) and I am more of a picky eater, so this new program will be much tougher for me seeing as I don't eat lentils, chickpeas, grilled chicken, etc. (all of the new zero point foods) and have no plans to start eating them. I have been losing just fine without them.

I have gotten so used to the "points" system I'm almost afraid to come back and use calories. Isn't that crazy?!

One of the reasons I liked WW was also for their community. Everyone on the app is so supportive, helpful and positive. Sometimes on MFP I was afraid to leave a comment because it's almost like everyone jumps on you (and not in a good/helpful way).

Any WW members on here that jumped ship (other than money reasons)?

Any advice would be appreciated. It's to the point that I feel like WW is the "be all - end all" way to lose weight. :/

Thank you

I did both for a while. I was a long time WW member and I liked the community. When they changed from points plus to Smart points, I was upset because I had stuff figured out and didn't want to change. That is why I went to tracking on MFP (calories don't change). I stayed with WW because, like you, I liked the personal interaction and support. I just left WW because they cancelled my meeting time and I no longer had that specific support that I liked. I am doing fine now without it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    You don't have to eat the foods they put on 0 points list. Surely out of 200 new food items there would be something on there you usually eat?
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    I go to WW meetings, because for me, it helps me with support and accountability. I track on MyFitnessPal and sometimes on the WW app. ATM I’m unable to only track on MyFitnessPal. I need someone else to weigh with me, give me little high fives and discuss problems with wanting to overeat or binge. If there were TOPS meetings convenient to me, I’d probably go that route, or even a regular nutrition weigh in or something like that.

I actually use DASH plan to guide what I eat (fruit and veg heavy), which I like the best if I can’t have McDonald’s every day.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    2 years ago I cancelled my online subscription with WW. I had been a member for probably 20 years losing and gaining the same 10 or so pounds but I had many more to lose. I came to MFP and lost 85 and am now on maintenance. I found this program easier for me and once I found a way of eating that I could live with it was so much better than the ongoing changes with WW. If you like the WW plan you can certainly stay but for me I needed something streamilined to my lifestyle.

As for the community I understand what you are saying. There are some people who have been on here for a long time and it becomes wearisome to hear the same questions and arguments over and over and they can sometimes be very direct. Everyone on here for the most part is concerned for others and wants to help it's just that there are always going to be those who want a quick fix and the same topics come up time and again. My personal experience has been really positive and I've learned alot from the folks on MFP. Whichever way you decide to go, losing the weight can be done just be sure whatever you do that you can maintain afterwards. That was the key for me.
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 240 Member
    You could start with staying at WW for now but also starting to log your food on here so that you get used to the calorie counting aspect of this site. After using this site for a while, you may want to stop WW.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I follow WW plan for structure. Without it I would eat at bodegas and Dunkin Donuts all day everyday and I have health issues that prohibit that, even though many MFP members say "as long as you have calories go right ahead!" I don't attend meetings because I have had too many bad experiences with leaders and receptionists. I am a free Lifetime member so I just weigh in once a month and leave. I have a great support group from friends here and on Connect that I keep in touch with regularly.

I double track on WW app and here because zero is not free. I like to see nutrients and calories for health management and because I'm a numbers geek at times.

I get the best of both worlds doing what I do and I've lost weight with both approaches, mostly WW because I've been on it longest. It all comes down to doing what feels right for you. As for the food list, you don't have to eat just those foods. I don't. I ate Chinese food on Day One of the new program and a bagel with cheese yesterday. It's just a matter of working it in. I'm pretty sure there are foods on the list that you may like also.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Exactly this. I too left WW several years ago, but it was a money thing for me. I was very successful with Points Plus, and lost 50 pounds in about six months. I only ever did online, never meetings, so switching to MFP didn't cost me any social support. And free always wins. But you have to think about what WW is: it's a business. Marketing the same old thing, even with success to back it up, doesn't work in this culture. You've gotta have "new and improved" all the time. And frankly, the more cynical side of me wonders if the story related above about losing and then gaining, seemingly in step with having to learn program changes every two years, isn't part of their business strategy as well. :/
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    I'm a big fan of WWs...it taught me healthy eating. But...I agree with you that it gets frustrating when the tweak their plan, and you have to adjust. I think most people keep an affinity for whatever plan they started with...it's always your go-to. I personally like calorie counting better, and I like the MFP database. And you're right...sometimes posting on MFP can lead to a whole slew of not-so-friendly comments!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,586 Member
    I did weight watchers back when you could find everything you needed online. You just took their bmr/tdee test, got your points ranges, got your 35 extra points, and ate your exercise points back and it worked well for me until they changed the system and you couldn't get your new points so easily. :)

If you like the atmosphere or whatever of WW but not the new eating plan, just stick with what was working for you. Will they really know you haven't graduated to the new plan?

My only real advice is to still log everything you eat on here every once in a while (if you're losing too fast - yes that's possible- or losing too slow or not at all) to make sure you're not under or overeating because, when push comes to shove, it's still CICO.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I follow WW plan for structure. Without it I would eat at bodegas and Dunkin Donuts all day everyday and I have health issues that prohibit that, even though many MFP members say "as long as you have calories go right ahead!" I don't attend meetings because I have had too many bad experiences with leaders and receptionists. I am a free Lifetime member so I just weigh in once a month and leave. I have a great support group from friends here and on Connect that I keep in touch with regularly.

I double track on WW app and here because zero is not free. I like to see nutrients and calories for health management and because I'm a numbers geek at times.

I get the best of both worlds doing what I do and I've lost weight with both approaches, mostly WW because I've been on it longest. It all comes down to doing what feels right for you. As for the food list, you don't have to eat just those foods. I don't. I ate Chinese food on Day One of the new program and a bagel with cheese yesterday. It's just a matter of working it in. I'm pretty sure there are foods on the list that you may like also.

People say to eat based on calories only "if you don't have any medical reasons that prohibit you from eating that food". Although I don't completely agree with some people's free-for-all approach to food, I have NEVER seen anyone suggest that you should eat food prohibited for medical reasons.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

People say to eat based on calories only "if you don't have any medical reasons that prohibit you from eating that food". Although I don't completely agree with some people's free-for-all approach to food, I have NEVER seen anyone suggest that you should eat food prohibited for medical reasons.

I have seen plenty of people question member's food choices. And even after explaining justifiable medical reasons (aside from anything life threatening) seen it get shot down as woo.