How does one burn over 1000 calories a day?

Options
I keep seeing posts where people here mention burning over 1000 calories a day in exercise, and I just can't wrap my brain around that... lol. I would LOVE to burn that much exercising, but I'd be lucky if I burn half of that. The only conclusions I'm able to draw are:

1. I'm totally doing the wrong type of exercises.
2. I'm underestimating the amount I burn.
3. They're overestimating the amount they burn.
4. They're super athletes doing some hardcore training.
5. They have way more time than I do (aka: spending all day at the gym).

I don't have a HRM, so most of my estimation of calories burned are via MFP's tools, various calculators around the web, or the machines at the gym after inputting weight and age, etc. Still, I can't imagine the difference being that much.

Sooo... my question is, what kind of exercise can I do to even be burning around that range a day? My weight has stalled after going upwards from doing the 30DS, and I'd love some suggestions on what else I can throw into the mix.

For the record, I'm currently exercising at the very least 1 hr a day, usually closer to the 2 hr range though. I do the 30DS every day (these days level 1 and 2 together). In addition to that, I may throw in Leslie's boosted walk, Zumba, Jackie Warner's power circuits, alternating walk/run at the tracks, doing intervals on the elliptical, or some aerobics, etc. I feel like I have to do tons just to burn 500 calories... never mind 1000!

Replies

• dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You have to take into account weight as well...a 300-pound person is going to burn more doing the exact same exercise as a 150 pound person simply because they are expending so much more energy to move that kind of weight.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I have had a few times when I have burned over 1000 calories in a day. But I weigh at least 50 pounds more than you so I burn more doing the same activities at the same intensity level. Also, I do have a HRM (polar) and have found that on some things the MFP database way under counted my calories but on some others it overestimated.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I've had many days (not recently bc I've been a slacker) where I burned over 1000 calories in a day. Wearing an HRM makes a difference, height, weight, age, they all play into how many calories an individual will burn. I used to be able to burn a lot more calories in a lot less time, but as my body has become more efficient, as I've gotten stronger/faster, it takes longer and harder workouts to hit the same calorie burn.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Definitely try running. I burn about 1,000 calories per hour while running.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I burn 500 cals/hr biking, 600 cals/hr running, 450/hr swimming, but I do 2-4 hours of it on a normal basis. That does it!!

I wear a BodyMedia FIT...
  • Joisgettingfit
    Joisgettingfit Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I can burn around 400 calories in just over an hour at the gym, i tend to do interval training so i'll go on the treadmill for 30 minutes but i'll run for a minute and then walk for a minute and do that for 24 minutes then have a 6 minute cool down.
    Then i'll go the bike for 20 minutes and do peddle slowly for one minute and really really fast for another until the 20 minutes is up and then I hop on the cross trainer for ten minutes and do this thing where you go forward for 5 minutes and reverse for 2 and then for the next 3 minutes i'll just go at it intensely.

So basically people who are burning 1000 calories are probably doing a very intense workout ,if you ran for about 2 hours you could probably burn around 1000 calories.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It can be done! I'm 5'6", 133ish, and I've burned well over 1k cals mountain biking or hiking on the weekend. I can burn 600 calories/hour biking or hiking up a decently steep incline. I do wear a heart rate monitor, and on those challenging excursions I'm normally gone for 90+ minutes.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    It most cases it is going to be all about intensity. Sure there will be a rare bird that spends hours at it but a solid run or jumping rope at the right intensity can easily burn 1000 in an hour. An hour run at 9 MPH would do that for most people.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're doing, what intensity you're doing it at, how long your doing in, and what size you are. I'm little and fit so it constantly takes increasing time and effort to get my calorie count up there. I used to burn over 800 calories in a step class, now my intensity is higher, but so is my efficiency so I'm only seeing numbers around the 600's.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Calories burned depends on two factors: intensity x body weight. If intensity is equal, a heavier person will burn more than a lighter person, and vice versa. It's no more complicated than that.

I often use running at 6 mph (10 min/mile) as an example, because it's a work intensity that a lot of people can relate to and the math is easier. Running at this speed is an intensity of about 10 METs.

Back to the original formula: Calories burned/hour = Intensity (METs) x body weight (in kg). So, to burn 1000 calories in an hour running 6 mph, one would have to weigh at least 220 lb (100 kg).

A runner at 80kg (176 lb) would have to run 8:10 mile pace for an hour to burn 1000 calories.

At the OPs weight of 60 kg, she would have to run at a 5:30/mile pace for an hour to burn 1000 calories.

So it takes a combination of moderate/high weight and high fitness to be able to burn 1000 calories/hour.

A lot of people using cheap HRMs or who have not set up their HRMs properly are getting inflated readings. A significant percentage of exercisers have max heart rates that are higher than the age-predicted estimate that HRMs use by default. As a result, the HRM thinks they are constantly working at 90%-100+% of max when they might only be at 65%-75%.

Things like thermal stress, high proportion of upper-body work, cardiovascular drift, can lead to artificially elevated heart rates and, thus, overstated calorie counts.
  • mewk
    mewk Posts: 13
    Options
    Much thanks for all the suggestions! It seems running/biking for an hour is the suggested form of exercise to burn a big amount... which translates as impossible for me at the moment. The main reasons is, I'm not physically fit enough to actually run for an hour. I can't quite even complete 1 round at the track by running, which is why I alternate between running and brisk walking. :(

I tried to start the C25K in hopes of finally being able to run for a good length of time, but it's been difficult to actually put it to practice because it rains a heck load where I live. I also live in a city, so hiking and all that nice nature stuff is out too. :(

Most of my cardio at the gym is spent by doing intervals though (in hopes of burning more and increasing my endurance as well), but even pushing it like crazy (for me) with high intensity intervals for 30 minutes... or more accurately 25 minutes of intervals, with 5 minutes of warm up, I'm burning about a little under 300 according to the elliptical machine at the gym. I don't know whether doing intervals is supposed to burn more calories, but it seems the machines register them the same way whether you're going at a steady pace or alternating high intensities. I guess my question would then be: is there a difference in the amount of calories burned in a session of intervals vs steady pace (other than saved time or after burn, etc.)?

Thanks again, all! :)
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Running gets me around 400 calories in 30 minutes but I run on a treadmill and put the program on random or hill. Level 1 right now. a wee bit harder than just on a 0 incline but it so worth it
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I haven't used my new HRM monitor on one yet, but pretty sure I burn over 1000 during a typical 2 hour mountain bike ride.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Since no one's mentioned it yet, I will - there's no reason to shoot for that high of a calorie burn, unless you want to do it once in a while just as a personal challenge. As long as you're working out seriously for around 45-60 minutes a day, you're golden.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I weigh 270+. I wear an HRM with every exercise. Last week I did Zumba for 55 minutes and kickboxing for 50 on the same day. I burned around 1100 for those two. So I guess the answer to your question, at least in MY case, is it's a combination of duration, size of person, and intensity of workout.
  • mewk
    mewk Posts: 13
    Options
    Calories burned depends on two factors: intensity x body weight. If intensity is equal, a heavier person will burn more than a lighter person, and vice versa. It's no more complicated than that.

I often use running at 6 mph (10 min/mile) as an example, because it's a work intensity that a lot of people can relate to and the math is easier. Running at this speed is an intensity of about 10 METs.

Back to the original formula: Calories burned/hour = Intensity (METs) x body weight (in kg). So, to burn 1000 calories in an hour running 6 mph, one would have to weigh at least 220 lb (100 kg).

A runner at 80kg (176 lb) would have to run 8:10 mile pace for an hour to burn 1000 calories.

At the OPs weight of 60 kg, she would have to run at a 5:30/mile pace for an hour to burn 1000 calories.

So it takes a combination of moderate/high weight and high fitness to be able to burn 1000 calories/hour.

A lot of people using cheap HRMs or who have not set up their HRMs properly are getting inflated readings. A significant percentage of exercisers have max heart rates that are higher than the age-predicted estimate that HRMs use by default. As a result, the HRM thinks they are constantly working at 90%-100+% of max when they might only be at 65%-75%.

Things like thermal stress, high proportion of upper-body work, cardiovascular drift, can lead to artificially elevated heart rates and, thus, overstated calorie counts.

Thanks for the very helpful explanation! How does one find out what intensity (MET?) level an exercise is? I got a bit confused on the part "5:30/mile"... what does the 5:30 stand for? 5 miles in 30 minutes? Sorry if that sounds completely stupid... :P

Regarding what you said about estimating calories burned... would you say online tools like the one MFP has to estimate calories burned is fairly accurate? Or not really at all?

Once again, thank you for shedding some light into this. It's looking more and more unlikely for me to be burning 1000 calories a day anytime soon, it seems. :\
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    I have burned over 1000 few times but it was on days I spent dedicated hours working out. I find I burn a lot when I really push myself, eat lots of healthy food that will energy you the day before, drink water and just push myself. I do a ton of cardio, uphill and circuit training to blast calories. Im just under 200 so that might have something to do with it as well.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Hm if you want to lose weight faster, you need a higher deficit -> higher calorie burn....
    Since no one's mentioned it yet, I will - there's no reason to shoot for that high of a calorie burn, unless you want to do it once in a while just as a personal challenge. As long as you're working out seriously for around 45-60 minutes a day, you're golden.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I have not gotten to 1000 yet, but I log in the 800's pretty regularly.

I run for an hour and walk for 20 minutes brisky....usually gets me at 850ish!

Good Luck:)
  • jolieblossom
    Options

He is right. No reason to burn 1000 calories just because other people are. And some people may be overdoing it, or it says they burned that many calories but they arent taking breaks or slowing down into account. I always take breaks or if Im running and have to walk a little bit, count the walking as walking not running because I dont want to say I burned more than I actually did. That proves nothing and I want to know the most closest to the real number. So just keep bring true to yourself and challenge yourself but dont go overboard- and you will be great!