Leftovers...need ideas

Options
So earlier in the week I made tacos with ground lean turkey. I have some of the meat left, which is already seasoned with taco seasoning. I don't want to use it for tacos again. I want to do something creative & tasty. Do you have any ideas what I can do with it? I have black beans, navy beans, rice, tomatoes, green bell pepper, onion, quinoa, or wraps that I can put with it. Surely there's something new and yummy I could put together with these ingredients.

I was thinking I could turn it into some type of soup or taco chilli or nachos....just not sure how to go about it exactly.

Replies

• wendibartel
    Options
    I have a reciepe for taco soup but I also love using left over taco meat for salads.

Taco Soup
    Left over taco meat
    Medium onion chopped
    1 package of light ranch dressing seasoning
    2 cups fresh tomatoes ( of course you could use canned if you wanted to)
    1 cup salas or rotel tomatoes
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 and half cups of pinto beans or black beans
    1 can of hominy

Taco Salad
    Romaine lettuce
    Fat free sour cream mixed with salas (for dressing)
    black olives
    fresh alvacodos
    fresh chopped tomatoes.
    Black beans

Just a few suggestions.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    i just had tacos on monday and we used the leftovers to make taco pizza-was it the healthiest no but in small quantities it is awesome and used the leftovers...and i didnt use turkey so yours is probably already better, my family had it on a regular pizza crust but i used the flat out wraps-they are my new favorite pizza crust, i use the light italian one, it is 90 calories for the entire thing which as a pizza is a decent size. we put the meat, black beans, black olives and lowfat mexican cheese on it....then after it was done baking topped it with fresh green leaf lettuce chopped, salsa, taco sauce and crunched up doritos...i know the doritos are horrible, but for the whole pizza i only used 2 chips so it was not very much but enough. it was delicious.
    otherwise you could turn it into enchiladas a little different than tacos, or like a mexican rice bake.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Taco salad
    Taco soup
    Nachos
    Taco meat and black bean wrap

Stuffed bell peppers- mix the taco meat, beans and either some rice or cooked quinoa together with some shredded cheese and maybe a little onion and seasoning. If you want it to all hold together, beat and egg and mix it in. Cut the top off the pepper, s&p, roast for about 15 minutes, fill the peppers with the mixture and cooked until peppers are tender, about 20 mins or so.

Mexican lasagna- make like normal but use salas instead of tomato sauce, taco meat instead of Italian sausage, and add veggies such as onion, japs, olives, maybe even some black beans. Layer and bake it up!

Mexican "Mac" & cheese- use quinoa instead of pasta, make a cheese sauce (I do mine from scratch but you could always use a velvet type cheese), mix the cooked quinoa, cheese sauce, taco meat and a dash of hot sauce together and serve! You can add sautéed veggies too if you like.

Beef and cheese (or beef and bean) enchiladas

Hope that helps!
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    i just had tacos on monday and we used the leftovers to make taco pizza-was it the healthiest no but in small quantities it is awesome and used the leftovers...and i didnt use turkey so yours is probably already better, my family had it on a regular pizza crust but i used the flat out wraps-they are my new favorite pizza crust, i use the light italian one, it is 90 calories for the entire thing which as a pizza is a decent size. we put the meat, black beans, black olives and lowfat mexican cheese on it....then after it was done baking topped it with fresh green leaf lettuce chopped, salsa, taco sauce and crunched up doritos...i know the doritos are horrible, but for the whole pizza i only used 2 chips so it was not very much but enough. it was delicious.
    otherwise you could turn it into enchiladas a little different than tacos, or like a mexican rice bake.

I like that idea. Did you use any sauce or was it kind of like a nacho pizza?
  • 46and2
    46and2 Posts: 167
    Options
    Throw leftover anythings between two pieces of bread and you win!
  • hwilliams519
    Options
    Taco salad
    Taco soup
    Nachos
    Taco meat and black bean wrap

Stuffed bell peppers- mix the taco meat, beans and either some rice or cooked quinoa together with some shredded cheese and maybe a little onion and seasoning. If you want it to all hold together, beat and egg and mix it in. Cut the top off the pepper, s&p, roast for about 15 minutes, fill the peppers with the mixture and cooked until peppers are tender, about 20 mins or so.

Mexican lasagna- make like normal but use salas instead of tomato sauce, taco meat instead of Italian sausage, and add veggies such as onion, japs, olives, maybe even some black beans. Layer and bake it up!

Mexican "Mac" & cheese- use quinoa instead of pasta, make a cheese sauce (I do mine from scratch but you could always use a velvet type cheese), mix the cooked quinoa, cheese sauce, taco meat and a dash of hot sauce together and serve! You can add sautéed veggies too if you like.

Beef and cheese (or beef and bean) enchiladas

Hope that helps!

I love the idea of the stuffed pepper! That sounds like that may be a winner!
  • jshbryan
    jshbryan Posts: 29
    Options
    Easiest thing to do if you don't want tacos again is to freeze it. Then one day when you want to make an excuse that you have no time to cook, you can pop it in the microwave and have a quick healthy meal.