I'm hungry all of the time!

Options
bcoop4
bcoop4 Posts: 1 Member
I'm set at 1300 calories a day and I'm always hungry. I've incorporated nuts but it hasn't helped much. I find myself just going to sleep hungry and that's no good. Any suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How did you arrive at your goal of 1,300 calories a day? That is, how many pounds did you set for your goal each week?

Do you do any activity and, if you do, are you eating back your activity calories?
  • MindfulDecision
    MindfulDecision Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I follow 1200 calories a day and the key is staying on top of your eating for most of the day. Meaning, eating before you GET hungry. Nuts are a start but start incorporating low calorie fruit (apples and pears). Also, I know it might be boring but drink lots of water. Coffee is also great (no cream or sugar) for suppressing the appetite. You follow this advice I promise you'll never be hungry (and of course, have your regular meals).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I follow 1200 calories a day and the key is staying on top of your eating for most of the day. Meaning, eating before you GET hungry. Nuts are a start but start incorporating low calorie fruit (apples and pears). Also, I know it might be boring but drink lots of water. Coffee is also great (no cream or sugar) for suppressing the appetite. You follow this advice I promise you'll never be hungry (and of course, have your regular meals).

I promise you that it wouldn't matter how much water and coffee I drank and what percentage of my daily food intake was apples and pears, I would be very hungry on 1,200 calories a day. It's just not an appropriate calorie level for everyone.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

An easy promise to make (especially to a stranger on the internet) and impossible promise to keep.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I spend most of my calories on protein and fiber-rich vegetables. None on soda or juice. It helps me adhere to my present goal of 1320 calories per day. You may also want to check out the volume eaters thread. It gave me some good ideas for keeping full on a strict (to me) calorie budget. Good luck. It's not easy at first but you learn tips and tricks as you stick to your determination.
  • SashaBaelish
    SashaBaelish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Aside from filling up on vegetables,fiber-rich foods and protein, I find having a cup of coffee really helpful. I eat 1350 calories atm and it works good, but have you considered allowing yourself a bit more? Maybe you'll feel better at 1500-1600 calories a day. :)
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    When I am cutting, I eat 6 times per day, roughly 200 calories per meal. I am rarely hungry because of the type of food I am eating (protein concentration) and the fact that I am eating fairly regularly.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you have been at this, but when I first began I mistook hunger for thirst. Once I started drinking enough water (or other drinks) I found this helped. If it truly is hunger, part of it might be that you need to find the right foods that keep you fuller longer. Or as others have said, opt for a slower weight loss and add some calories to your day. Don't make yourself miserable or else this becomes very hard to sustain.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

An easy promise to make (especially to a stranger on the internet) and impossible promise to keep.

Hm...not sure why the negativity. I was providing advice that I have successfully adhered to for a year which has garnered great results (see success photo thread). If he doesn't like my advice he isn't required to take it. We should all be supporting each other in our mission and goals.

Unfortunately, far too many dieters think they have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight (or choose a far too aggressive goal because they don't know better) when it is actually too few calories for their body. They can't stick to it, feel like a failure, and give up. Promising them that if they just follow some tips they will never be hungry isn't supportive, if 1200 calories will be under-eating for them. I don't think it's negative to point that out. Until OP comes back with their stats, no one can tell whether OP is hungry because of the way they are eating, or because their body is begging for needed calories and nutrition.

I need 1800 calories to maintain my now healthy weight. I drink coffee and eat fruit and veggies every day. I would be hungry on 1200 or 1300 calories, because it is not enough energy for my body and activity. And I know that because I tried it until I actually learned the math here on mfp.

Edited because pronouns are hard
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Hm...not sure why the negativity. I was providing advice that I have successfully adhered to for a year which has garnered great results (see success photo thread). If he doesn't like my advice he isn't required to take it. We should all be supporting each other in our mission and goals.

I don't see a reason to support empty promises.
  • mrmarkabraham
    mrmarkabraham Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    1200 seems low. Maybe after lots of exercise a 1200 net calorie count is good. But if you only want to eat 1200 a day, minimize carbs and go heavy on greens and lean proteins.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    OP, I get it. Short older female here and 1200 to 1300 (what you are set to) calories was appropriate for weight loss but it literally felt like it was killing me. I couldn’t/can’t lose weight on more calories, so what to do.....

Game changer for me was to view calories as a weekly allotment instead of daily. I’m very strict and well below 1300 cals some days (I’m doing 5:2 IF) and I “bank” the extra calories for weekends or occasions. My weekly calories come in exactly as when I was miserable (~8500), but now it just works. I feel great and satisfied most of the time! Not a recommendation, mind you, just sharing the strategy that worked for me.
  • MindfulDecision
    MindfulDecision Posts: 42 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Unfortunately, far too many dieters think they have to eat 1200 calories to lose weight (or choose a far too aggressive goal because they don't know better) when it is actually too few calories for their body. They can't stick to it, feel like a failure, and give up. Promising them that if they just follow some tips they will never be hungry isn't supportive, if 1200 calories will be under-eating for them. I don't think it's negative to point that out. Until OP comes back with their stats, no one can tell whether OP is hungry because of the way they are eating, or because their body is begging for needed calories and nutrition.

I need 1800 calories to maintain my now healthy weight. I drink coffee and eat fruit and veggies every day. I would be hungry on 1200 or 1300 calories, because it is not enough energy for my body and activity. And I know that because I tried it until I actually learned the math here on mfp.

Edited because pronouns are hard

OP said their target is 1300, I did not suggest this. I just provided tips to be less hungry on said calorie target. Somehow comments in this thread suggest that I influenced his calorie target which is obviously not the case at all.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat oatmeal, fruit and coffee every morning, a protein snack an hour or two later, lunch, a snack a couple hours after lunch and them dinner. I never go to bed hungry. If I am hungry before bed I will eat a banana or an apple. I rarely eat only 1200 calories...just not enough for me.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Eat more if you're hungry al the time you're going to burn your willpower up real fast. Listen to your body, if you're hungry you need more food energy for one reason or another.