Fighting the urge for take out

Options
It's been a long day at work, I'm tired, my head hurts and I'm fighting the urge to get takeout. I'm also doing a low carb high fat vegetarian diet for a week now and have lost 6lbs and don't want to blow it. But pizza sounds so good right now. What works for you when you just don't want to cook? Thanks!

Replies

• TexasTallchick
    TexasTallchick Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I sometimes give in, but do it in a healthier way. Order pizza, but get light cheese and lots of veggies. Eat no more than two pieces. Freeze the rest.
  • jenfish2
    jenfish2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How about a salad that has all the toppings that you would normally put on pizza? You could do olives, roasted veggies (ive done broccoli, asparagus, carrots), roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, chickpeas, cheddar cheese, veggie pepperoni, and top it with an italian vinaigrette dressing.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It is okay to get take out. Try not to get more than a reasonable amount. Thinking you will have leftovers for another meal. Trust me. Just get the small or if you can get by the slice. Enjoy it, log it aqnd move on.

Congrats on the loss. Thgat is a great begining.
  • sssgilbe
    sssgilbe Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Blaze Pizza has a nutrition site that calculates the calories of your pie as you add toppings to your on-line order. I got one today that was 100 calories a slice; had 3 slices for lunch and will have the other 3 for dinner. Regular crust, light on the red sauce, light on the mozz cheese, pepperoni and tomatoes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that a low carb - high fat vegetarian diet would be pretty stinkin' restrictive...to the point that I would wonder if that's sustainable for any significant amount of time. This is a long haul kind of thing so you need to find a way to eat that you can sustain for a very long time, if not into perpetuity. Most vegetarians and vegans that I know eat relatively high carbohydrates given the plant based nature of the diet.

My second thought is that most people I know can easily fit some pizza into their calorie targets, particularly if it's not like some kind of everyday thing.

My third thought is that people tend to dive in and try to make whole sale changes to their dietary profile and nutrition over night...in five years here, I don't think I've ever seen that work. I've seen a lot more success when people make small changes over time and let things evolve during the process...and it's a long process.

I eat a pretty nutritious and balanced diet...I still eat pizza probably every couple of weeks...I still go out for pub grub about one per month...these things don't somehow undo everything else I'm doing...what I'm doing most of the time is what matters.
  • merifey
    merifey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @HellYeahItsKriss and @cwolfman13

I should clarify by saying that I've been vegetarian for years for personal reasons. I've recently been diagnosed as prediabetic and am only eating low carb/high fat for 2 weeks as kind of a reset before adding back in whole grains. So it's not something totally new (vegetarianism) or a way of eating that I'm expecting to do for the rest of my life (low carb/high fat). What it is doing is helping me learn about the carbs that I am putting into my body, how I react to them, and giving me some delicious recipes instead of always relying on heavily processed carb alternatives.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    While i do commend you on your efforts to monitor your prediabetes diagnosis, here is a couple of things for thought.

Your A1C will improve drastically simply with weight loss. You are in the prediabetes stage which is just dancing with being diabetic so thats a good sign and a good place to start taking it seriously. However, my above post still stands.. When i was losing weight, i was insulin dependent and i am a carb lover, low carb is not who i am, but i knew that i had a better chance of getting rid of the weight that was the reason i had diabetes by eating in a way that i could sustain, which included, eating pizza. Which is why i said, i would much rather just get that slice of pizza then constantly battle myself and eventually cave and end up eating an entire pizza as a result.
  • merifey
    merifey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm glad that you found something that allowed you to lose weight in a way that was sustainable for you and I appreciate your telling me about it. Right now I'm finding out what works for me, which might not be the same as what works for you and might not be in the same manner as you. But I'm not sitting here thinking that I'll never have a slice of pizza or two again, I'm choosing to not have pizza dough for two weeks. I was having a momentary craving for not cooking more than I was for pizza and was looking for support.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    So far most of your support was generally the same answer i gave.. i guess the only answer would be.. just fight the urge, go home and cook.

Ideally those are the only real alternatives here, right? either eating out or going home and cooking and ignoring the urge. I think people need to realize that support comes in many forms also. The advice i am giving you is coming from a 3+ year verteran who lost 165 pounds and kicked diabetes *kitten* to the curb. My support comes from a place more long term because from my experience these 2 week intervals are often just struggles people thrust upon themselves in the view of a jump start to their journey. But.. perhaps a newer person would be more suited for advice here, so best wishes!
  • Kapoten
    Kapoten Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is to prepare home-cooked meals in advance and freeze or refrigerate them (depending on how quickly the meal in question will go bad). That way, when I get home after a long day, popping something healthy in the microwave or pulling it out of the fridge is just as easy as getting takeout. If you can figure out a way to do the work aspect of food preparation at a time when you are not already tired and hungry, that might help. Good luck!
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    merifey wrote: »
    It's been a long day at work, I'm tired, my head hurts and I'm fighting the urge to get takeout. I'm also doing a low carb high fat vegetarian diet for a week now and have lost 6lbs and don't want to blow it. But pizza sounds so good right now. What works for you when you just don't want to cook? Thanks!

If you want pizza, get pizza! Only have a couple slices and save the rest.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I fit fast food into my calorie allowance but I can't think of any low-carb vegetarian fast food. Are there any frozen products from supermarkets that you could heat 'n eat? Spinach triangles? Or maybe freeze home cooked food you can just reheat? I cook slow-cooker meals that we eat over 3 nights with frozen veg. They're Skinnytaste recipes so they're low calorie - makes it easier to stick to my eating plan.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    A small vegetarian pizza is about 800 cals from the sypermarket... I'd fit it in my weekly cals.