When your feet/legs start playing up

Options
I get these weird sensations/pains in my feet and legs at least once a week, so I have to stop walking on the treadmill. I'm assuming its because I have over 100lbs to lose.

When your lower body isn't cooperating with you, what kind of exercise do you do? I'm assuming something like swimming or biking would be okay, or anything that wasn't pushing down on your feet. Does this problem go away when you lose enough weight? or could it be because I'm not stretching/foam rolling properly or even warming up? I tend to get this problem more on the treadmill than when I'm walking outside.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It could, be your shoes. It could be something more serious. Did you get doctors OK to exercise?
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Well depending on the sensation do you feel it in the back part of your leg/knee? The one thing that comes to mind for me is Sciatic nerve issues. Could be that something is putting pressure on that nerve and causing the pain sensation. You would feel some kind of pain radiate down either side of your back buttocks,leg,knee and feet.

I had a mild case of it years ago that took 9 months to correct itself.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Speaking from experience, foot pain can signal a serious issue, such as stress fractures . Get it checked out.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Are you holding on to the rails, or walking at a steep incline? That can alter your gait, which could pinch the sciatic nerve.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Make sure your shoes aren't too tight. This is a small fix that really helped me. I didn't realize how much bigger my feet would get just during exercise (impact and increased blood flow). My feet used to go numb on the elliptical and I realized I needed better/bigger shoes and to not tie them so tightly.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Where do your feet ?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    If it's a random passing pain, I'd just keep walking. I get a lot of odd twinges that disappear after 50' or so. If the pain lasts, then maybe try elliptical or bike for a while.