Diet drinks?

Options
I am reading a lot of conflicting info on artificial sweeteners and whether or not they contribute to weight gain. I am not a big soda drinker, but occasionally I like a coke zero or an iced tea with sweet n' low.

I'm curious what your experiences are. Have you been able to drink diet drinks and still lose weight?

Replies

• Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge soda drinker (esp. not diet soda), but I can't imagine it's good for you at all...every once in a while shouldn't hurt though. Maybe start using a more natural sweetener in your drinks like stevia. Once I started drinking a lot more water, I find that I don't even crave anything else...
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of Arizona Green Tea w/Ginseng, which is sweetened with Splenda. I've been steadily losing 2# + a week for the past 2 months. No problems here :happy:
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    Maybe start using a more natural sweetener in your drinks like stevia.

Believe it or not..Stevia is the topic of its own set of controversial data.
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 1 diet Dr Pepper every day and several Crystal Light mixes. I have lost 33 pounds since March 20th.
  • vtakougang
    Options
    im still losing weight even by drinking diet drinks, i just try and not drink them as often because of all the sugar
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    Drinking a Coke Zero as my 'afternoon snack' as we speak....I've never had a problem with them...they 'save me' from craving sweets!!!! :D
  • MlissaB
    MlissaB Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just heard on one of the morning shows last week that supposedly the artificial sweeteners have been linked to more snacking. With that said, if you aren't drinking a lot of it I don't think it really matters. If you're concerned about it add it in your food notes and track whether or not you're snacking more on the days you have the diet drinks and if so is it affecting your weight loss. I would bet it isn't if you really aren't drinking a lot of it.

I quit drinking soda a number of years back and drink mostly water now. I found that I was craving the carbination more than the actual syrup so I will have a soda water once in a while, usually a lemon or lime flavor. If you don't wan't the sweetener but still want the "tingle" that may be something to try too. I didn't think I'd be able to drink it because I always hated it as a kid, but now I love it as an alternative to plain water.
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I quit drinking soda a number of years back and drink mostly water now. I found that I was craving the carbination more than the actual syrup so I will have a soda water once in a while, usually a lemon or lime flavor.

Fabulous idea!

I don't really crave soda. I just like to have a nice non-water beverage sometimes with a meal, especially if I am out to lunch. I love my iced tea in the summer...so refreshing.
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I drink at least 1 diet Dr Pepper every day and several Crystal Light mixes. I have lost 33 pounds since March 20th.

That's awesome. Makes me feel better!