Ultimate healthy shopping list

Options
Hi Everyone, I'm putting together a healthy grocery list for my boyfriend who has recently got his fitness groove back on. I'm sure I've forgotten some key items. I'd be happy to take any suggestions!!!! This is a basic list, we're pretty much idiots in the kitchen:)))

ULTIMATE HEALTHY GROCERY LIST

Eggs
Turkey sausage or bacon
Milk (preferably low fat)
Cream of wheat or oatmeal (oatmeal is best)
Whole wheat english muffins
Chobani or Dannon greek non fat yogurt
Low fat cottage cheese
Deli Turkey breast
Deli chicken
Mozzarella cheese
Deli tuna
Peanut butter
Whole wheat bread
Turkey hot dogs
Brown rice uncle ben's 90 second bag
White or flavored riced uncle ben's 90 second bag
Whole wheat pasta
Frozen ravioli (cheese preferred)
Olive oil
Marinara sauce
Parmeson cheese
Frozen chicken breasts
Salmon (or other fish)
Frozen vegetables
Potatoes
Greens
Fresh veggies
Fresh fruits
Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, peanuts)
Boca soy patties (I like the chicken flavored ones)
Lean cuisines, healthy choice and smart ones (fast and easy but some are high in sodium)
Baked beans

Replies

• tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Do you track your sodium in your diary? Most of the stuff looks good but some is loaded with sodium. I knows it hard to avoid it since its in EVERYTHING!
  • lisaloo85
    Options
    oh bump! i needed this list!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    That's a really excellent list. There are a few footnotes I would make -
    When it comes to things like turkey bacon, and the deli meats, look for the "natural" versions - the ones without added nitrates or nitrites.
    When it comes to PB, again look for natural - meaning ingredients: peanuts, salt (optional)
    Chicken breasts as well - many brands are pumped full of sodium, especially the pre-frozen ones.

Catch my drift here? Don't know how picky you want to be. You have a great list already. If you want to take it to the next level, scrutinize those labels carefully.

Edit: adding:

how about some oats?
    and maybe some sweet potatoes (in addition or instead of your potatoes.)
    pork chops?
    turkey burgers and salmon are great to have in the freezer for emergencies
    high quality whole grain bread (in addition or instead of your whole wheat english muffins)
    Bananas!

Also, a Misto. It's a pump-bottle type of thing where you can make your own oil spray (in lieu of Pam)
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Excellent list .. reminds me of my own except for the packed meals. :happy:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Wow - 80% of that would never make it on my shopping list.
  • anwendy
    anwendy Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump! Great list!! :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    This is an okay list -- not great. I would completely ditch some of it. Like the deli meats, unless they're Applegate or another nitrate/nitrite free brand. Deli tuna is not great either. Get rid of the Boca patties, prepared frozen meals, and white/flavored rice as much as possible -- not healthy at all. And try making your own marinara sauce instead of getting the jarred or canned stuff. It's very easy.

Make sure that mozzarella is the fresh stuff (packed in water).

Peanut butter should be organic or at least one of the "natural" types.

Read the ingredients for the whole wheat breads -- too many have high fructose corn syrup.

Salmon should be wild caught.

Most importantly, make sure you focus on the greens, veggies, and fruit. Put them at the top, get a variety and use them!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Agreed - the frozen meals are not that healthy but when you're looking for quick it's a better option than McDonald's or fast food. I'm not much of a cook (although I'm working on it) and I work long hours.

Sweet potatoes!! Yes, totally forgot that one! And pork chops too. Nice suggestions:)
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Not to step on your toes, but I've taken the liberty of putting my spin on what you've got... 
    Hi Everyone, I'm putting together a healthy grocery list for my boyfriend who has recently got his fitness groove back on.  I'm sure I've forgotten some key items.  I'd be happy to take any suggestions!!!!  This is a basic list, we're pretty much idiots in the kitchen:)))

Eggs- or egg substitute
    Turkey sausage or bacon- watch the sodium!
    Milk (preferably low fat)- fat depends on your goals, if everything in your diet is low or fat free it can cause problems
    Cream of wheat or oatmeal (oatmeal is best)- go for the regular, not instant stuff.  Or try steel ground oats or even hot 7-grain cereal. It'll give you more bang for your buck
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Deli Turkey breast- watch the sodium, nitrates, nitrites and additives.  Your best best is to pay the extra for the natural stuff or cook your own.  Read the labels! 
    Deli chicken- ditto the turkey
    Mozzarella cheese
    Deli tuna- huh? Never heard of this...
    Peanut butter- read your labels! Make sure it has 1 ingredient: peanuts! 
    Whole wheat bread- watch for HFCS! Lots of bread, even 100% whole wheat have this
    Turkey hot dogs- check the nutrition, they are not always the better choice.  Often an all-beef dog is healthier.  Again, watch for additives and nitrites/nitrates
    Brown rice uncle ben's 90 second bag- or brown rice and cook yourself.  You can add flavor and nutrients by cooking it with chicken stock (homemade or low sodium)
    White or flavored riced uncle ben's 90 second bag- I'd skip it
    Whole wheat pasta
    Frozen ravioli (cheese preferred)-be careful and read the ingredients and nutrition and serving size!
    Olive oil
    Marinara sauce
    Parmeson cheese
    Frozen chicken breasts- watch for added "broth/solution/brine" all meaning they have added sodium and preservatives
    Salmon (or other fish)- if buying salmon, you are much better off to get wild caught, not farm raised
    Frozen vegetables- read labels, they often have added salt and sugar
    Potatoes 
    Greens
    Fresh veggies
    Fresh fruits
    Lean cuisines, healthy choice and smart ones (fast and easy but some are high in sodium)- just skip it! Make big batches of food, and freeze in small portion size Tupperware or zip locks.  
    Baked beans- sugar! And HFCS! Read the labels and be careful! Buy canned beans and make a yummy sauce for them yourself.

Hope this helps!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Yeah, me either. I might even say 85%.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    Not to step on your toes, but I've taken the liberty of putting my spin on what you've got... 
    Hi Everyone, I'm putting together a healthy grocery list for my boyfriend who has recently got his fitness groove back on.  I'm sure I've forgotten some key items.  I'd be happy to take any suggestions!!!!  This is a basic list, we're pretty much idiots in the kitchen:)))

Eggs- or egg substitute
    Turkey sausage or bacon- watch the sodium!
    Milk (preferably low fat)- fat depends on your goals, if everything in your diet is low or fat free it can cause problems
    Cream of wheat or oatmeal (oatmeal is best)- go for the regular, not instant stuff.  Or try steel ground oats or even hot 7-grain cereal. It'll give you more bang for your buck
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Deli Turkey breast- watch the sodium, nitrates, nitrites and additives.  Your best best is to pay the extra for the natural stuff or cook your own.  Read the labels! 
    Deli chicken- ditto the turkey
    Mozzarella cheese
    Deli tuna- huh? Never heard of this...
    Peanut butter- read your labels! Make sure it has 1 ingredient: peanuts! 
    Whole wheat bread- watch for HFCS! Lots of bread, even 100% whole wheat have this
    Turkey hot dogs- check the nutrition, they are not always the better choice.  Often an all-beef dog is healthier.  Again, watch for additives and nitrites/nitrates
    Brown rice uncle ben's 90 second bag- or brown rice and cook yourself.  You can add flavor and nutrients by cooking it with chicken stock (homemade or low sodium)
    White or flavored riced uncle ben's 90 second bag- I'd skip it
    Whole wheat pasta
    Frozen ravioli (cheese preferred)-be careful and read the ingredients and nutrition and serving size!
    Olive oil
    Marinara sauce
    Parmeson cheese
    Frozen chicken breasts- watch for added "broth/solution/brine" all meaning they have added sodium and preservatives
    Salmon (or other fish)- if buying salmon, you are much better off to get wild caught, not farm raised
    Frozen vegetables- read labels, they often have added salt and sugar
    Potatoes 
    Greens
    Fresh veggies
    Fresh fruits
    Lean cuisines, healthy choice and smart ones (fast and easy but some are high in sodium)- just skip it! Make big batches of food, and freeze in small portion size Tupperware or zip locks.  
    Baked beans- sugar! And HFCS! Read the labels and be careful! Buy canned beans and make a yummy sauce for them yourself.

Hope this helps!

Awesome Thanks, this is very helpful:))

lol - the deli tuna is for my boyfriends benefit because he's too lazy to mix the tuna from a packet or can. Easier to buy it from the deli....but def not healthier. Other items like turkey dogs (yuck I'm not even that much of a meat eater) were for my boyfriend as well....something quick and easy.
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bellpeppers RED ones. Washed and pre-cut. Makes a great addition to a sandwich makes me think I am eating chips. I would watch the sodium on the deli meats. I wasn't aware of how high it is until last week.
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great thing you are trying to do for him and there have been some terrific suggestions to bump your list up to even healthier. Thanks to those folks.

Replying that you would never put 80-85% of the items on your list is not helpful in the slightest. It actually makes you sound ill-mannered and small minded to share only negative feedback (not saying you are, just that the comment might be contrued as such). I enjoy MFP for the constructive comments and positive encouragement but can do without the "haters".

Thanks so much for sharing this list!
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    I think this is a great thing you are trying to do for him and there have been some terrific suggestions to bump your list up to even healthier. Thanks to those folks.

Replying that you would never put 80-85% of the items on your list is not helpful in the slightest. It actually makes you sound ill-mannered and small minded to share only negative feedback (not saying you are, just that the comment might be contrued as such). I enjoy MFP for the constructive comments and positive encouragement but can do without the "haters".

Thanks for your support:))))
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

Yeah, me either. I might even say 85%.

Yikes that bad!?!?!??! Well....I did post this hoping to get some suggestions and helpful feedback. I would love both of yours?
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    Agreed about the processed meats....

I'd add lentils/beans (dried) or no salt added canned beans, I make big batches of dried and freeze left overs. I also use frozen fuit (just plain fruit) for smoothies several days/week so I'd add that. And my Ezikel bread, couldn't live without that ;)

Also, other whole grains... quinoa, bulgar, millet, etc.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options

This is a standard shopping list...

PRODUCE

•lettuce
    •tomatoes
    •onions
    •potatoes
    •scallions
    •garlic
    •spinach
    •carrots
    •celery
    •bananas
    •apples
    •oranges
    •berries – especially blueberries, but we usually have bags of frozen mixed berries on hand
    •kale, chard or other green leafy
    •avocado
    •cilantro

BAKERY

•pita bread
    •sandwich thins
    •whole wheat english muffins
    •high protein whole wheat tortillas

GRAINS & PASTA

•brown rice
    •couscous
    •quinoa
    •whole grain pasta

CONDIMENTS

•mustard (dijon, spicy, brown, plain yellow… we love mustard!)
    •low-sodium soy sauce
    •olive oil
    •olive oil cooking spray
    •sesame oil
    •Earth Balance
    •balsamic vinegar
    •rice wine vinegar
    •salsa

PROTEINS

•extra firm tofu (low fat if possible)
    •baked tofu
    •Boca Burgers (vegan)
    •vegetarian chili
    •BEANS! black, kidney, garbanzo!
    •lentils – green or red, they are both lovely
    •peanut butter and any other nut butter that suits your fancy

“MILK”

•unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze

Is that more constructive?
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't eat "deli" anything because it's processed and is full of sodium.

This is our master shopping list for the week. We add things every week as it strikes our fancy like a beef roast or whole turkey, sometimes duck or bison.
    coffee
    whole Chicken
    Beef (steak, whatever looks good)
    wild salmon (or whatever is wild and fresh for a good price)
    shrimp
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Strawberries
    Apples
    Bananas
    Blueberries
    raspberries
    Spinach
    Salad mix
    Sweet potatoes
    avocado
    Cilantro
    Italian parsley
    Ginger
    Onions
    Garlic
    Tomatoes
    Eggplant
    Butternut squash
    peppers
    beets
    Citrus
    Almond butter
    almonds
    pecans
    pine nuts
    coconut milk
    Eggs
    Milk
    Greek Yogurt
    heavy cream
    Kerigold butter

This is what I can think of now. I'm sure there is stuff missing. This is what we eat every single week.
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I actually am loving seeing examples of people's shopping list. I'm still struggling to figure out a standard list that is my "go to" and get bogged down in trying to figure out recipes that i never have time to cook, etc..and have found that i gravitate towards everything salty!!! I hope more people do post lists!!

I think thus far, my standard items seem to be (and yes, i'm sure i'm loaded with salt!)

hummus (moving towards making my own, not there yet)
    Salad greens
    Spinach and/or leafy greens (collard, etc.)
    Tomatoes
    Carrots
    Cilantro
    Squash and Zuchinni
    Sweet Potatoes
    Onions
    Apples
    Bananas
    Clementines
    Berries or other fruit on sale
    1% milk
    Fage 0% yogurt
    Canned black/pinto beans
    Laughing cow cheese
    Feta/Blue/Parmesan (i love to have these around as a pinch goes a long flavor way, even though i know i need to get "off" cheese")
    Corn Tortillas and Wrap Tortillas (look for low cal versions)
    Pita Bread (this easier and lower cal than bread oftentimes)
    Whole Wheat bread (have to get the cheapie version unfortunately)
    Whole Wheat pasta
    Shrimp
    Tilapia, Salmon, whatever is on sale
    Whole Chicken (i crockpot this so we have it for meals and sandwiches)
    Ground Turkey
    Pork Chops/thin cut
    Chicken Breasts, frozen
    Unsweetened Apple Sauce
    Frozen lunch meals for work (smart ones, lean cuisine)
    Oatmeal
    Trail Mix (trader joe's omega 3 trek mix)
    I often do buy deli meat/hot dogs for my son, though i dont want him eating crap either!)
    Fresh Salsa

I would welcome any additions or constructive criticism myself - i'm often bored stiff - but limited to buying a lot of things on "sale" because we are financially challenged. The sad thing is that quality is rarely on sale, it's crap. And i'm trying to feed teenagers too who are less accepting of "healthy", though they get what they get, but it always means i'm adding easy to cook/snack (aka frozen and high salt) items as well....ugh.