Seeing progress?

Options
I’m only in my second week of trying to loose weight and I’ve lost 1lb so far, which I is guess what I should be loosing a week. But of course I’m being inpatient and wanting to see progress right away lol. Wondering how long did it take you before you could actually see progress and I don’t just mean on the scale?

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    For me it took like a month at first to notice my pants getting slightly looser. And about 3 months until I started to see any significant visual changes in a mirror. So I felt like I had zero progress for long time. This is why I think it's important to weight yourself every week, cos it's so slow that you need a scale to see it at first, to not lose motivation.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I see changes within a few days of starting to cut because I know where to look for them. I always lose a few inches off my stomach immediately due to water weight loss. After that, it takes weeks to months to see changes other than in my calves, which lean out easily.

Most people expect to see all over change way too early.
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    About 10 pounds for me
  • Iwantahealthierme30
    Options
    This is my 11th day and I've lost nearly 3 pounds so far. I also went to the gym this week and was able to do 45 minutes of biking instead of my usual 30 minutes. My highest weight was 230 though and I started this at 225.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I was down 30lbs before anyone even notice I had been eating better and losing weight... Truth be told I am down over 70lbs and I still see the heavier me in the mirror, probably because I am still wearing the majority of my older clothes because I am too cheap to buy new ones LOL Progress pics are very helpful, as well as taking your measurements. The scale is not always going to reflect your efforts but those transformation pics will get you through those disappointing scale days. Patience and forgiveness is going to be your BESTEST friends :p Good luck! You can do this!!
  • Waterbug08
    Waterbug08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a bit over a month in, lost about 6 lbs, definitely feeling it and seeing it a bit already (overall 1st goal wt loss is 21 lbs)- measurements also helpful. The bigger thing is that at the month mark i noticed how easy it has become. Yes, there is temptation and laziness here and there to deal with, but its more like a simple positive habit than a chore or a task. Definitely loving it more now. I am also very happy with the gradual loss, never overly hungry and feel great during workouts! Remember its a long game, patience and perseverance. Hang it there, it is so worth it.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm short, 5'2", others noticed on my face at 10 pounds, i noticed at 20-25 pounds which is 50% to my goal weight. It took 4-5 months.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I’ve lost 9lb in 3 weeks and I’m just beginning to see a difference, but I feel you on being impatient with it.
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to actually see that I was losing weight I notice my clothes were getting bigger but to me, I still looked the same, even when people said I looked like I was losing weight I still couldn't see it. Until I was about 50lbs down lol, really it's just about being patient it's a slow process but it's definitely worth it.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    See progress? About 2-3 months, 15 lbs. I'm tall :)
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm at 21 loss (33% of my current goal) and I don't notice a difference yet. I lost 32 (80% of goal) at one point, and didn't notice a difference either. I hit normal BMI, still saw a very fat person in the mirror and gave up. Huge mistake. Listen to the tape measure, your eyes can deceive you.
  • Dakhar1
    Dakhar1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the replies. Even thought it’s hard I know I need to be patient. I’m hoping to see some progress by the end of feb since that’ll be 2 months in but if not I’m not going to worry about it. With the holidays around the corner I’m not going to over do on goodies, I have enough self control not to but I’m also not going to deprive myself so I’ll just work extra hard afterwards and hope to see progress in mar instead of feb lol.
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    There's a saying "It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body change, 8 weeks for your friends and family, 12 weeks for the rest of the world."

It's probably going to take as long to lose the weight as it did to gain it. We didn't get fat in 1 week, we won't get skinny in 1 week.

That's one of my favorite quotes...it helped me a lot in the beginning....and it was pretty accurate :D
    It always takes me a few weeks to drop water weight when I start exercising...I'd say 4 weeks to see consistent results in myself
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    There's a saying "It takes 4 weeks for you to see your body change, 8 weeks for your friends and family, 12 weeks for the rest of the world."

It's probably going to take as long to lose the weight as it did to gain it. We didn't get fat in 1 week, we won't get skinny in 1 week.

I'm sure this is dependent on starting weight and goal weight - so it varies for people. But.....for me it was spot on.

I started at 5'11"/240 with about 60 to lose (or so I thought at the time). I saw it in the mirror after 4. My family after 8. Everybody else started talking about 12 weeks in. I got down to 190 and have since gained about 5-10 pounds on purpose - while lifting. My body shape has continued to get better despite the gain. When I finish my novice linear progression in lifting, I'll cut down that 5-10 again and be happy at 190.

I bring up the second half of that paragraph because once I learned how incredible weight training is in terms of helping everything else, weight "loss" became secondary. Strength and ability to do stuff are now first. Controlling body fat is second. People are still saying I'm losing weight, despite the fact that I've put on a few pounds in the past couple of months, because part of those pounds are going to the right places.

Give yourself some time - you and those important to you will notice. Even though "noticing" isn't the most important thing, it can be a nice boost - and it can be better than a treat too. And strength train if you can. I can't recommend that enough.