Easy dinner ideas for 1200 calories/ day

Options
Hi all! I’m new to this... I am feeling good about hitting my macros for breakfast and dinner. However, I’m having a hard time thinking of low calorie dinners which will fill me up and which are not “diet food”. I’m trying to focus on whole and healthy foods while still allowing myself to eat what I want in smaller portions. I want to stay away from frozen processed dinner entrees and salads as those do not fill me up ( unless they are a side of a meal). I eat meat and do not have any dietary restrictions! Need to keep my dinners to 300-500 calories. Let me know what you make and what works for you! Thanks!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's a tiny dinner - for me, that would be soup - sure you can only afford that for the main meal of the day? And are you sure 1200 is right for you - what have you set your weekly loss to? MFP throws 1200 at you if you aim too high - you can't lose 2 pounds per week if you don't have the necessary fat stores available.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have a salad as a side every night. It's filling and low calorie. I add tons of veggies and just a vinegar based dressing. With it I always have some sort of protein and veggie. I'm a very basic eater but I also follow a KETO diet. Usually it's just chicken, fish, or beef. There are tons of recipes if you search. Since I do eat so basically I don't typically make elaborate meals - lol I wish I was more help!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    A pile of frozen vegetables with some oil, topped with ~3 oz lean meat. Still leaves some room for another side dish/small starchy item.
    of5xip4j00ua.png
    wx3w445wtt1k.png
  • zipaprika
    zipaprika Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Find a dinner you like that happens not to have many carbs. I like to simmer a boneless/skinless chicken thigh (because dark meat is tasty) with garlic, green onions, a carrot, salt or soy sauce and a 1/2 tsp chili oil. Just enough water to barely cover/steam the meat in a tiny covered saucepan. You could add a pile of green beans (salt but no oil), maybe a cup of milk, maybe a slice of melon, and still come out to under 500 calories...
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I’m new to this... I am feeling good about hitting my macros for breakfast and dinner. However, I’m having a hard time thinking of low calorie dinners which will fill me up and which are not “diet food”. I’m trying to focus on whole and healthy foods while still allowing myself to eat what I want in smaller portions. I want to stay away from frozen processed dinner entrees and salads as those do not fill me up ( unless they are a side of a meal). I eat meat and do not have any dietary restrictions! Need to keep my dinners to 300-500 calories. Let me know what you make and what works for you! Thanks!

1200 is the DEFAULT minimum before exercise. 1200 may be the result of an overly aggressive weekly weight loss goal, or you are sedentary and very petite or petite and elderly or elderly and sedentary.

Just throwing that out there in case 1200 is not manageable for you.....it's not manageable for lots of women.

That said, back in the day when I dieted very aggressively (I'm 5'5".....not petite) I ate low fat to reach 1200. If low fat is satiating for you look for high volume (low calorie foods) and lean protein to consume most of your calories.

If you add exercise, you should pick up additional calories. That will help too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Whatever it is, it needs to have a lot of non-starchy vegetables to be low-cal and filling.

In the winter, I eat a lot of steamed greens. If you have reserved 350kcals for dinner, you can eat a pile of steamed greens (kale, chard, beet green, etc.) with 4oz of chicken breast or lean pork and a fat (feta cheese, vinaigrette salad dressing, etc.). With this, you could have a dessert of 5 strawberries. Of course, you need to check the portions carefully.

Best of luck!
  • mebelfanti
    mebelfanti Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com and budgetbytes.com have great recipes that don't feel like "diet" foods. Budget Bytes isn't strictly low calorie but she tries to keep her recipes healthy and easy.

Some of my favorites are
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/crock-pot-chicken-taco-chili-4-pts/
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/one-pan-parmesan-crusted-chicken-with-broccoli/
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/2017/08/italian-sausage-white-bean-skillet/
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/italian-wonderpot/ - I added Italian sausage last time I made this and it was SO good
  • KnitterNotAQuitter
    Options
    I'm on a 1,200 calorie/day diet per my doctor, and it's been restricting, but a little fun to see how far I can stretch it. Veggies are the key. Tonight I'm having leftovers, but it was a super easy dinner with little prep, but a little processed. I dumped a pouch of Bird's Eye Veggie Made w/ cheddar sauce (It's pasta -- made of zucchini and lentils! And it tastes good!), two pouches of Starkist Chunk Light Low-Sodium Tuna in Water and 2 cups of frozen broccoli in a skillet. Mix and heat. Half the skillet is 325 calories. And tonight I'm going to add a salad (one small tomato, 1 cup spring mix, 1 cup cucumber) with a light, low-sodium, fat-free version of Good Seasons Italian Dressing I found online and modified (https://bakeatmidnite.com/copycat-good-seasons-italian/ my mods are 1/2 Tbsp Equal instead of sugar and 1/4 of Lite Salt instead of 2 Tbsps O_o). So another 68 calories.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Everyone should check their requirements carefully, but my calorie goal to lose a lb per week was 1500kcals per day, so a smaller female person could very reasonably set their non-exercise target at 1200kcals per day.

PS I did it and now I'm at maintenance at a base of ~2000kcals per day. I'm pretty happy eating at that level.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favorite:

Vietnamese soup about 300-400 cal : Broth is usually very low in calorie, especially if you make it yourself (simmer chicken broth, onion, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, hot pepper, cinnamon stick, clove, star anis) and serve on top a rice noodle, bean sprout, leefy greens (not typical but always good) and some cooked chicken or shrimps.

Ceasar salad ++ about 400 cal: typical lettuce and vinaigrette, make some grains instead of croutons like wild rice which adds carbs to keep you full longuer. I make a crispy slice of proscuitto (in the oven at 400 for 5-10 min), a hard boiled egg, some olives/capers, grape tomatoes and some lean protein

Tomato based anything: Sauces are usually high in calories but tomatoes are more forgiving and much less blend than plain protein.

Try plant based recipe like beans, lentil or legumes. Red lentil chili, chickpea curry, etc
  • IcelandicBlonde27
    IcelandicBlonde27 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! All of this really helps!! I’m going to try a lot of these suggestions! I just checked out skinny taste! Looks like I’ll be hitting up the produce and frozen veggie section of the grocery store next time I shop! Does anyone front load their calories ( eat more in the morning) and find that having a small dinner works for them? I ask because I don’t get very hungry at night besides the occasional craving which is what has lead to my night binges in the past. I’m mainly hungry in the morning and early afternoon.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    All of my cardio is in the evening during the week, so I leave most of my calories for dinner (pre-run), 'supper1' (post-run, pre-dancing), and 'supper2' (post-dancing). I eat 100ish calories extra in the mornings I weight train though.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    can of tuna spiced mixed with garlic/green onions and topped with 2 sunny side up eggs and whatever sauces im feeling normally hotsauce sometimes garlic or mustard sauces. I call it my smash plate and eat it nightly. Just smash whatever veg or sauces i want together always under 300 calories. Smash plates are yummy xD High protein and fat i tend to lack- Follow it nightly with lots of fruit as i like snacking lol
  • IcelandicBlonde27
    Options
    Soo not sure how bad it is but it’s my first night on here and I just made a 400 calorie breakfast sandwich for dinner. Maybe not the healthiest but I’m not hungry anymore and it was yummy
  • IcelandicBlonde27
    Options
    Going to make salmon and potatoes or soup tomorrow night! Thanks everyone I will continue reading your responses tomorrow ! :)
  • ssaharea
    ssaharea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    lw4bcw0kai1s.png

This is my staple meal. I have this once a day, 5x a week. I buy chicken thighs in bulk, marinade them in ziploc bags and freeze them. I buy the big 1.75kg bags of Arctic Gardens frozen vegetables (there's quite a variety of them so I like to rotate them every 1-2 weeks). Rice is cheap as hell too. Hope this helps!
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! All of this really helps!! I’m going to try a lot of these suggestions! I just checked out skinny taste! Looks like I’ll be hitting up the produce and frozen veggie section of the grocery store next time I shop! Does anyone front load their calories ( eat more in the morning) and find that having a small dinner works for them? I ask because I don’t get very hungry at night besides the occasional craving which is what has lead to my night binges in the past. I’m mainly hungry in the morning and early afternoon.

Nah, I'm the opposite. I eat very small breakfast and lunch, and eat a bigger dinner and bedtime snacks. It's not unusual for me to miss at least one of my smaller meals.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

I eat a 500 calorie breakfast, same for lunch, and then a smaller dinner, with a couple of snacks in between, and I'm down 110 lbs presently, coasting downward now after reaching normal weight. I'm eating more than 1200 though due to exercise. Which I recommend - exercise is protective of your lean muscle mass while you're eating in a deficit, and 1500 or 1600 calories is a lot more satisfying than 1200.

My breakfast is steel cut oats made with milk, walnuts, and apples with either a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter and a side of cottage cheese, or two strips of bacon and two eggs. Plus seasonings, such as cinnamon and vanilla on the oatmeal, salsa on the eggs, sometimes pickles. Usually around 500 calories, a few more or less. You can eat quite a lot of breakfast for 500 calories.

Dinner / lunch under 500 - start with two or three hundred calories of protein - grilled fish, a chicken thigh, a small piece of lean steak, pork tenderloin, ground turkey, eggs, tofu - add a hundred calories of starch - peas or beans, quinoa, potatoes, sweet potatoes - and a hundred calories of veggies. Keep your seasonings low calorie, such as herbs, ginger, lemon juice, vinegar. If you end up with fifty or more extra calories add healthy fats, such as olive oil, avocado, nuts, or a little cheese. You can make an infinite variety of meals like this. Stir fry, one pot, one pan roasted, grain bowls, salads.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat a bigger breakfast and lunch and smaller dinner. I've found that I need the calories during the day more. I tend to eat later 7:00-10:00 pm. I usually will have a meatless dinner (that might not work for you) with more protein during the day. Last night I had 2oz. pasta and a tomato. It filed me up much more than anything I've had in a while and super easy to make. I just boiled the pasta and cut up a tomato. That's about 250 calories. I didn't have many calories left so I didn't add any olive oil. When I make pasta I usually add 1/4 tsp olive oil with the vegetables. There are healthier dinners you could make, but this is easy when you don't have much time or feel like preparing something more elaborate. Sometimes I'll make it with spinach, but then I cook the spinach.
  • hopleyjana2049
    hopleyjana2049 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Move more, and that way you ll have more calories to play around with and you ll be able to afford to eat dinners you will enjoy without restricting yourself to calories. I start my day with 1220 calories to eat, as the day goes on, and my adjustment calories add up, I always end up with at least 2000-2500 calories. 1200 calories diet is very very aggressive and not recommended for longer period of time. I would definitely try to move more, to be able to have but more calories to play around with.