Seem to have stalled out on 5X5 program

Options
I have been doing the Stronglifts 5X5 for around 2 months, along with running a few times a week. I have been progressing well and happy with the results but I seem to have stalled for the last week and not been able to raise the weights primarily with squats.
I have stayed at the same weight for the last few workouts, I tried a higher weight and my form suffered so I backed off to the last weight I was comfortable with which was 105 for squat. Should I try and push through the stall or just back off for a little bit and try and progress after a while.

Replies

• piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I ran/read the program (I ran it for a year) but you deload down about 20% and work your way back up.
    So for squats you could drop down to 85 and then work back up to 105 and see if you get past the stall.

Also a bit of general guide (it's not written in stone or anything)
    3 stalls, then deload.
    3 deloads then move to 3x5
    3 stalls, then deload
    3 deloads then move to 1x5
    3 stalls, then move to another program

People usually skip the 1x5 program, which is fine, and look for an intermediate program.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    What @piperdown44 said. Work in some deloads.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Are you dieting? You aren't going to really progress as with that program as if you were in maintenance or in a surplus. Personally, I've had better success with a 3x5 program when cutting weight for making strength gains, but in a cut, I usually go to higher rep and lower weight work and just increase my weight as I can. It's pretty hard to make big and linear strength gains in a calorie deficit.

As I recall, that program calls for you to de-load when you stall...so you could try that
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So a few things to add onto what others are saying about deloads. People are going to have good day and bad days, and even good weeks and bad weeks. If you deload and continue to not see progress, it may be time to choose another program or potentially move to the next level. Beginner routines are largely just supposed to last 3 to 12 months. And while you can run them longer, it may be more beneficial to have a program that also includes accessory/auxiliary moves to build the smaller supporting muscles.

Alternatively, you can do a few weeks at maintenance to see if that will get you over the hump and then come back with a smaller deficit (assuming you are dieting right now).
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    After typing out my question I got looking at my diet and I think that is a big part of my problem, I am close to maintenance or a little under. I don't think I am properly fueling for increased weights. I need to decide where I want to go with the program, continue losing weight or chose to gain strength.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If strength is your priority, I would drop the running. 2 months in seems to be early to be stalling out on the program. You can make strength gains on a near maintenance caloric intake.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I never progressed at the rate SL called for, I always increased every few times I trained vs every time I trained. Once I stalled I happened to have been bored of the program and moved to a PHUL-type program. 2 months doesn't sound like you maxed gains on SL, I'd take some deload advice or eat a little higher.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    When I hit a ceiling, I deload and increase reps at the lower weight for a week... typically I will go with 8 reps on the first set, then 7, 5, 7, 8( 3 lifting sessions) then work my way back . There was a time when 185 was my ceiling... currently pushing 235 on the squats.., and although I am not at the ceiling, I am taking a week at that weight to “lock it in” next week I will do the 8-7-5-7-8 and begin the trip to my next ceiling. Keep up with a bit more protein in your macros and forget the cardio for a couple of weeks while you lock in at 105...

Always use your body weight as your target reference for big lifts... what % of your body weight is 105?

Also... age is a factor... i am 53... currently lifting just passed my body weight...my goal is to hit at least my body weight + 25% on squats + 50% on deads... body weight on bench... oh press and rows are tougher to pin down
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I am doing Strong Lifts 5x5 and - on the squat - have reached weights where I can not do five sets of five reps AND maintain form. So, I am doing a couple of things....I dropped down to 3 x 5, first and foremost. I am also - well, we will see after my training sessions on Saturday and Sunday - going to drop down in weight. That is the thought process. The last two squat sessions have been a little rougher than I would care to admit. I am a HUGE advocate of proper form, so clearly I am at the point where my strength is not quite congruent with the program. So, dropping about 10% weight and starting at that weight.

If you want to "follow proper procedure" then the Strong Lifts web site has the pecking order.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    If strength is your priority, I would drop the running. 2 months in seems to be early to be stalling out on the program. You can make strength gains on a near maintenance caloric intake.

Agree with this