Motivation.... was wondering about "support", Girls only ;)

Options
Ok, I know they mean support as it "come on you can do it" but thought I would ask this anyway.... since losing weight I have to say that I have all my bras not giving me the support I need when I work out or just anytime... my question is do you ladies go someplace special to get a good bra that fits correctly? Mine are shapeless and I can now feel that the support isn't there like it should be, I hate shopping for bras and I never seem to find one that fits and feel right....
thanks ladies!!
Holly:ohwell:

Replies

• FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    The best bra experience I've ever had was at Nordstrom.
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    I don't know how much you've lost or intend to lose, but I shop at walmart for sports bras, for two reasons... they are cheap and they come in my size.

If I'm losing well and have to buy the next size (or two) down before I wear out the ones I just bought, I'm okay with it because I payed $10 or $12 for three pairs.

Then, when you get close to your goal weight, splurge on a 'real' bra from someplace like Victoria's Secret! :blushing:
  • sarah829522
    Options
    Luckily I live in a large metro area with several specialty shops that will measure you. Be prepared to pay $50-$80 for a good well fitting one. I bet if you look up specialty lingerie in your area and call them most will measure you for free.

And then I order the max support in my band and cup size. Champion works well and so does moving comfort.

Also your sports bra should never have a birthday. Toss them (or just don't wear them for workouts) before they are a year old.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I buy all my lingerie at Nordstrom. The gals there do a great job fitting undergarments. Occasionally I've found small local shops that have an educated staff, but it's not common and you'd have to ask around.

A good sports bra might be easier to 'self-fit', since they only come in S, M, L, XL, etc.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    get properly fitted, that can make a ton of difference. You can go to a department store and they usually will have someone to fit you into the right bra, or you can go to a lingerie shop, though that may be more expensive. But they will find something that will work for you. If you're in the midst of your weightloss, you might want to try a department store. Also, I find certain styles fit me better, and if you find a style (eg. demi cup, full cup, plunge, balconette, or whatever) it can help you pick ones that will be more likely to fit comfortably, and make bra shopping slightly less painful. But I really think every woman should get properly fitted. I've lost weight up top, and think I'm going to go and get fitted, because the variously sized bras I have don't seem to be quite right.

Good luck!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    For working out - get yourself a good sports bra - makes a huge difference....
    Getting a good fitting bra can also make a big difference in how you look....
    As per previous poster I have seen other threads that suggested Nordstrom for getting measuring and fitting done...(I am not in the US, so cant give you a personal view)
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Definitely go get fitted. Makes all the difference in the world.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Depends on what size you are, and what type of bra you're looking for.

I'm currently a 36DD and LOVE Enell bras for workouts, I don't care that they are UGLY they do the job and I can run in them. I started at a 40DDD 70lbs ago and they worked then too.

For day to day bras I really love Lane Bryant, we have a full Casique store next door to ours and I'm now on the cusp of their small sizes, so I'll be back to Victoria's Secret.

You need to go and be fitted every 10 lbs (which is a PITA when you're losing weight, or the boobs will start to look shapeless again).
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    Ok, I know they mean support as it "come on you can do it" but thought I would ask this anyway.... since losing weight I have to say that I have all my bras not giving me the support I need when I work out or just anytime... my question is do you ladies go someplace special to get a good bra that fits correctly? Mine are shapeless and I can now feel that the support isn't there like it should be, I hate shopping for bras and I never seem to find one that fits and feel right....
    thanks ladies!!
    Holly:ohwell:

Get them measured :) I know in the UK they do it for free. not sure what its like where you are. Wear a sports bra if you do a lot of running
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Mine are shrinking too, but I go on the cheap to Target - they have a number of different types of Champion sports bras with varying levels of support. On a funny note, I just read something the other day about "Tittie Fitter" parties. Kinda like Scentsy or Lia Sophia but fer boobs. A rep comes out and professionally fits all the ladies.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    For life or for working out?

I wear a regular bra and a sports bra when I run.

Regular life, I always wear a cami for a little extra support. I'm not even remotely busty and I find it helps.

I get my bras at Target when they're on sale, whatever brand is cheap.
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yep... I would say it is time for some bra shopping. Take your measurements at home. The # should come from measuring around your chest either above your boobs (under your armpits) or below your boobs. Then the letter... measure the biggest part of your boobs. If the 2 numbers are 1" difference, size A, 2" = B, etc., etc. That should give you a place to start. Try on all sorts of styles to find what works best with your body style. If you are comfortable take some friends along with you. Not to show off to, but for fun and moral support.
  • Ladywaring
    Ladywaring Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For me it seems to just be luck of the draw. Sometimes I find a good one and sometimes I get one that has no support at all. I know that really doesn't help, just make sure you get the correct size, cup and measurements. It makes a huge difference and when you lose weight you may lose a cup or inches around. For working out I must wear a sports bra! There are tons of different ones and it depends on what you like. I like the ones that you have to pull over, not button.

Good Luck,
    Ladywaring
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    enelle.com has sports bra's for women with bigger breast but they are like 65 a bra

I got 2 at academy and they seem to work out ok for now.
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Luckily I live in a large metro area with several specialty shops that will measure you. Be prepared to pay $50-$80 for a good well fitting one. I bet if you look up specialty lingerie in your area and call them most will measure you for free.

And then I order the max support in my band and cup size. Champion works well and so does moving comfort.

Also your sports bra should never have a birthday. Toss them (or just don't wear them for workouts) before they are a year old.
    Oops... you don't even want to know how old some of my bras are.... lol:smooched:
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options

Then, when you get close to your goal weight, splurge on a 'real' bra from someplace like Victoria's Secret! :blushing:

I disagree. Every woman deserves to feel beautiful, no matter the size. I don't think we need to weight to be close to our ideal weight to like what we wear.
  • HollyLLillis
    Options
    Mine are shrinking too, but I go on the cheap to Target - they have a number of different types of Champion sports bras with varying levels of support. On a funny note, I just read something the other day about "Tittie Fitter" parties. Kinda like Scentsy or Lia Sophia but fer boobs. A rep comes out and professionally fits all the ladies.
    that's too funny, I'll have to see if someone does those parties here... lol love it...
  • HollyLLillis
    Options
    For life or for working out?

I wear a regular bra and a sports bra when I run.

Regular life, I always wear a cami for a little extra support. I'm not even remotely busty and I find it helps.

I get my bras at Target when they're on sale, whatever brand is cheap.
    I guess a lady would need to kinds... for working out and for life...
  • HollyLLillis
    Options
    Yep... I would say it is time for some bra shopping. Take your measurements at home. The # should come from measuring around your chest either above your boobs (under your armpits) or below your boobs. Then the letter... measure the biggest part of your boobs. If the 2 numbers are 1" difference, size A, 2" = B, etc., etc. That should give you a place to start. Try on all sorts of styles to find what works best with your body style. If you are comfortable take some friends along with you. Not to show off to, but for fun and moral support.
    I never knew that is how you measure them, that is interesting! thanks!! :smile:
  • HollyLLillis
    Options
    Years ago I had a breast reduction, went from a 40 DD to a C cup... it was wonderful.... but I was a bit over weight then and was much more so a year ago... since losing 30 now I am not as "perky" as I was and I can tell by my bras that they are a bit smaller, and that is fine by me but I don't want to have them hit the floor when I'm older! So getting a bra that fits right is what I need.
    thanks ladies for all the comments, I love this site and all the support from everyone!! :drinker: