Good News for Diabetics - Weight Loss Works

Options
I know a lot of diabetics or pre-diabetics, so I thought this was an encouraging result to a recent study. It showed that the vast majority of cases of diabetes can be reversed with weight loss. I'd maybe avoid the low-calorie diet they used at least without medical supervision, but I'd suspect it would also work with a more moderate calorie goal and rate of loss.

"Almost 90 percent of those who lost 15 kilograms (33 lbs) or more, successfully reversed their type 2 diabetes. More than half (57 percent) of those dropping 10 to 15 kilograms (22 to 33 lbs) achieved remission also.

For those who lost less weight – between 5 to 10 kilograms (11 to 22 lbs) – the reversal still worked for more than a third (34 percent) of participants."

https://www.sciencealert.com/extreme-diet-reverse-type-2-diabetes-up-to-86-patients-remission-weight

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    I know a lot of diabetics or pre-diabetics, so I thought this was an encouraging result to a recent study. It showed that the vast majority of cases of diabetes can be reversed with weight loss.

Type *2* diabetes. Ain't no one fixing type 1 with exercise.

Yup. As the wife of someone with Type 1, this omission irks me.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Interestingly, there was a discussion on FB about this.

Apparently, there was an earlier intervention done that was attempting to mimic the results of bariatric surgery which often reverses T2D before the weight loss happens.

In that intervention, this reversal did happen very early on after starting the aggressive low calorie regimen.

This new protocol was an attempt to replicate those earlier results.

The bugbear with any approach is ongoing maintenance, of course.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I was always under the impression people knew that diabetes had the chance of reversal with weight loss.

Thats why i was not at all surprised when i lost mine.
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When I was in nursing school we heard the story of a man who after being diagnosed with T2 diabetes started walking 6 miles a day (3 miles in the morning and 3 miles in the afternoon). After 6 months he had a healthy weight and was able to go off insulin.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Why is it that in the UK they talk about remission, but the US the doctors hang onto the idea of always diabetic, even when people adopt severe lifestyle mods?

I watch my own FBG to ensure that I do not get tagged with this diagnosis.
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type II around 3 years ago. I had some health issues in August and decided to completely revamp my diet, start exercising and have lost ~25 lbs. More importantly in August my A1C was 7.7, two weeks ago it was 6.3 and I have not been on any medicine for the diabetes.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    My husband got off insulin after he lost weight after being on it for 10+yrs!!
  • AmericanExpat
    AmericanExpat Posts: 158 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm sure OP didn't mean to offend you. The fact is that 95% of diabetics in US are T2 so I don't It's an unreasonable statement by OP.

As for the 33 lbs lost, that's about what it took me for doc to declare me diabetes-free, even though I was still 100+ overweight.

I was told that you can never be diabetes-free once you are diagnosed diabetic. Your pancreas will never work normally again, but your lifestyle changes can reduce your sugar level and thus reduce the risk of diabetic complications.
  • johnwelk
    johnwelk Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    http://drc.bmj.com/content/bmjdrc/4/1/e000258.full.pdf

Eating fewer carbs and higher protein (and higher fat) can also reverse many cases of T2D or prediabetes too, often before weight loss.

Do you really think that's what that study says?

Hint: it's not.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Eating fewer carbs and higher protein (and higher fat) can also reverse many cases of T2D or prediabetes too, often before weight loss.

Out of curiosity are there studies to back this up? Wondering because this still is not the recommended diet for diabetes and many have had the same results from weight loss alone.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

The fat intake on both arms of the study was the same.

I'm not sure how you're reaching your conclusion here, to be honest.

The carb intake on the high protein arm was modest and not exactly low (45%), and the fat intake is around what MFP recommends. The carbs were only fractionally reduced from what most MFP'ers already eat.

You adding a LCHF slant to these findings is a real reach, considering the macro mix in the actual study.

I put the "(and higher fat)" in parenthesis because that part was not addressed in the link I posted. I guess I should gave added italics and a disclaimer, eh?

Replacing less healthy carbs - meaning refined carbs and sugar - with fats is also an effective way to reduce BG, A1C and prevent diabetic complications that go along with uncontrolled or poorly controlled T2 diabetes.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

The carb intake on the high protein arm was modest and not exactly low (45%), and the fat intake is around what MFP recommends. The carbs were only fractionally reduced from what most MFP'ers already eat.

You adding a LCHF slant to these findings is a real reach, considering the macro mix in the actual study.

I put the "(and higher fat)" in parenthesis because that part was not addressed in the link I posted. I guess I should gave added italics and a disclaimer, eh?

Replacing less healthy carbs - meaning refined carbs and sugar - with fats is also an effective way to reduce BG, A1C and prevent diabetic complications that go along with uncontrolled or poorly controlled T2 diabetes.

Grammatically, you ought to have used square brackets to signify the inclusion of a factor not referred to in the original source ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Grammatically, you ought to have used square brackets to signify the inclusion of a factor not referred to in the original source ;)

LOL my mistake. :)