Hidden calories

Options
I found this interesting little article on HuffPost today (link below) about serving sizes and it contained this little gem:
When using PAM cooking spray, do you only spray it for a fraction of a second? According to the nutrition label, that fraction of second has zero calories. But, a six second spray has 50 calories and six grams of fat.

HIDDEN CALORIES AND FAT- EEK!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/04/serving-sizes_n_918158.html#s322395&title=Canned_Soup

Replies

• otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    If I eat a can of soup I'm eating the whole damn can and I'm not gonna share!
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i'm confused on the last one... how can one teaspoon be 10 calories but two teaspoons be 50, more than quadrupling the calorie amount?
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I've started using Coconut oil, Macadamia nut oil, or Avacado oil when I cook. The Macadamia nut oil and Avacado oil are mostly unsaturated fat. I just prefer to not use all the chemicals that are in cooking sprays when I cook. To me, it makes the food taste funny....but I'm probably doing that 6 second spray instead of the "fraction of a second" spray.
  • kate_newlifestyle
    Options
    i'm confused on the last one... how can one teaspoon be 10 calories but two teaspoons be 50, more than quadrupling the calorie amount?

it says is one teaspoon=10 calories and two tablespoon=50cal

• meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options

You read wrong. 1 teaspoon is 10 calories, but 2 tablespoons is 50 calories.
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've started using Coconut oil, Macadamia nut oil, or Avacado oil when I cook. The Macadamia nut oil and Avacado oil are mostly unsaturated fat. I just prefer to not use all the chemicals that are in cooking sprays when I cook. To me, it makes the food taste funny....but I'm probably doing that 6 second spray instead of the "fraction of a second" spray.

I've noticed that the cooking spray also burns in the pan weird, etc. I try to use olive oil, but sometimes when I just need a really light coating i'll use the cooking sprays. Clearly what I need to do is instead get an olive oil mister!
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

It was one TEASPOON is 10 calories but two TABLESPOONS is 50 calories.
  • otr12
    Options

That still doesn't make sense because 2 tablespoons = 6 teaspoons.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Go with coconut oil. Olive oil is for low temps. Coconut oil is for high temps.
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If I eat a can of soup I'm eating the whole damn can and I'm not gonna share!

I'm with you! I want the whole can too. Thats why i buy the lower sodium.
  • Gigi_licious
    Options

That still doesn't make sense because 2 tablespoons = 6 teaspoons.

Good point.
  • SweGuy
    SweGuy Posts: 78
    Options
    Well, instead of eating the can - have you tried eating its contents?!? LOL...
  • doublexhelix
    doublexhelix Posts: 199 Member
    Options

it says is one teaspoon=10 calories and two tablespoon=50cal

oh i see! thanks all who pointed it out! damn my skimming reading
  • otr12
    Options

I will recycle how ever the hell I want to! Would you people please stop hassling me? Jeez!
  • otr12
    Options
    It's like my profile picture met your profile picture......

stisnow.jpg