Any Homeschooling moms out there

Options
Are you ready to start? I don't need to ask but are kiddo's ready?

We started early last year and work really hard over the winter (we live in MI, we had alot of snow). We like to take advantage of the sunshine and warmth while we can. We stay to oursevles during the "school year". We still have regualr activities that we do but we live in the city so not alot of kids around here. Just being nosey.:blushing:

Replies

• tashacan
    tashacan Posts: 121
    Options
    Don't homeschool but would love to.....maybe one day..... :-)
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I don't homeschool yet but I will start as soon as I get out of college. I teach at a co-op right now... it's great stuff. What material do you use?
  • Nikkiairforcewife
    Nikkiairforcewife Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    They are ready. I am not. lol I need to log off MFP and go assess what curriculum I still need, the outline for the semester, and set up workboxes.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    We're more unschoolers than homeschoolers...does that count? :)
  • Christa5882
    Christa5882 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Homeschooling mama here in Kingston, JA. Don't have the weather issue, except during rainy season or hurricanes. Only have a 2 and 4 yr old now but they start sending their kids to school at 2 here, so I need an answer to questions as to why they're not in school. :-)
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm a homeschool mom! We usually start about the same time as public school does since my daughter has friends who go to public school and she likes to have the same days off as they do. As far as the weather is concerned our summers are more brutal than our winters! (105 right now).
    I think we will be starting August 15th. Looking forward to a great year!
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We school year round. We just finished. We will be off until the beginning of September. It's always exciting to get out the new material, makes the first month easy.
  • msdlbliss
    msdlbliss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I homeschool in MI, as well. We are usually done with school the middle of May, so they can enjoy the spring weather. We have worked on math and reading all summer, this year, to retain the things we learned during the school year. We have not done that in the past.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Homeschooling mama here in Kingston, JA. Don't have the weather issue, except during rainy season or hurricanes. Only have a 2 and 4 yr old now but they start sending their kids to school at 2 here, so I need an answer to questions as to why they're not in school. :-)

We get that all the time. Answers very depending on who is asking. I usually say that it is a personal choice based on our religious beliefs. Just remember that they are in school, it's just really private. lol

We use a curriculam that is part of an actual private Christian School. They grade and keep track of all our testing. We have a large group here that uses the same set so it's nice for support.
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not a homeschooling mom but I was a homeschooled kid :) I graduated back in 2003 but its also fun to run into someone else that actually gets what makes it great. Most of my close friends were met through homeschooling and so growing up I never faced a lot of questions about it but after moving to Indy a few years back I have talked to a couple of people that act like they think its the weirdest thing they ever heard of. The best part, after the one on one attention, is being able to set your own schedule for the most part. I mean we were under a cover that required grades at certain times but otherwise it was up to us when we wanted to do things. I personally have never been a big summer person but love the fall so we often would take vacations in the fall and work through some or all of the summer. Of course I lived in Alabama so the recent heat wave we have been having was like the cool part of our summers a lot of the time, doesn't really make one eager to run outside and play. My favorite memories are of my Mom and I going to the beach in the winter for a week, when it was totally deserted and the hotels were cheap, we would have a week of school at the beach where we could reward a good study session with a trip to the junk shops and enjoy the fresh seafood :) We are actually planning a trip down there this November and I look forward to reliving some of those memories. I also loved that I could work at the time of day that was best for me. I have always been a complete night own and mornings when I was in school (started homeschooling in 1st or 2nd grade) it was so hard for me to get up and concentrate, in high school, when a lot of my work was on the computer, I often did 80% of my reading and such after midnight. It actually proved to be helpful once in college and I was able to pull those all nighters without much of a change in my normal routine lol.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I was home-schooled as a kid until my parents placed me in public school at 9. Unfortunately, they put me in with kids 3 years older than me. NO FUN!
  • doriekaye
    doriekaye Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    MN homeschooler here. We start the first week in September and take the summer off starting in June. My kids aren't ready to start and neither am I, we're having a nice summer this year. All the new books are on display and most of the supplies are purchased.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    WOW!! This may soundd silly but I had no idea there would be so many out there. I really never thouht that I would homeschool but I do. If there is something I don't know how to do I go on the net, ask my oldest son, or wait for hubby to explain it. LOL
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    We're starting to get all our stuff together, Next week is my big planning push.
  • GeekGirlOnAQuest
    GeekGirlOnAQuest Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Mine are only 2 and 3 so we're doing preschool - usually a theme a week and we read books, do a "field trip" or other activities related to the theme. This week was sea life and went to the aquarium! Glad to see so many other homeschool families on here!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    We're unschoolers, not homeschoolers, but we're getting ready to start back to all of the classes and clubs that take breaks for the summer (scouts, ballet, science class, etc.). And no, I'm not ready!! lol
  • linemansgirl
    Options
    I have all of the planning done and we will be starting school in about three weeks. None of us really feel ready yet though!
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids & 1 on the way. I started my 2 oldest (7 & 5), at the beginning of July, so that when the new baby gets here at the end of October we can have some time off without worrying about getting behinds. Was I ready? Not really, but it had to be done!!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I homeschool mine. We work from right after Labor Day to just before Memorial Day. We take off for major holidays, but not really long breaks, and don't take off all the silly little days in between so that we can have this nice schedule. And no, I am not ready this year. We're about to move so some stuff I just won't buy until we "land". But I am organized on paper and have my lists, so it won't be difficult to be started on time, anyway.
  • NavyWifeTwinMom
    NavyWifeTwinMom Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I homeschool my boys (twins, age 6). We are about to start on Monday. I follow the standard school calendar for the most part... we're a military family and though I never thought I would homeschool, I have absolutely fallen in love with it :)