Advice on healthy snacking

Options
I've begun writing again and have noticed that when I do write, I often sit with snack foods near me because when I get to a "thinking" spot (where I'm sorting out what is coming into the story next), I tend to snack. In the past, I've snacked on things like bite-sized cookies, m&m's, jelly bellies... things like that, mostly because they are small, handy and easy to pop into my mouth.

Ideally, I would cut this habit out altogether, but that will take some time. What I'm hoping is that I could find some advice on healthier kinds of snacks that I can keep around me while I'm writing. With the goal of eliminating it altogether, of course. Except on those days when I find myself writing right through mealtimes, then I would need something to increase my calorie intake, anyway, so if I can switch to healthier snacks now, they'll become a habit for later, when I really need them.

Any suggestions??

Replies

• grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Almonds! Every time I ask about a healthy snacks, it seems to be one of the most common answers. :bigsmile:
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Exactly what I was going to say, I love the Cocoa Roasted Almonds by Emeralds yummy kills 2 birds with 1 stone. :)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    carrots. sugar snap peas. maybe sunflower seeds, cherries, raspberries.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Grapes. Blueberries. Nuts. Carrots. Broccoli. Mini bag of popcorn
  • lori0287
    lori0287 Posts: 112
    Options
    Apples, any raw fruit or vegetable. Food closest to its purest form really is ideal. It helps eliminate cravings, nourishes right at the cellular level, beneficial fiber and nutrients. Raw pumpkins seeds are also terrific, lightly salted not so bad. They are one of the few natural forms of zinc and manganese. You can also roast chickpeas and lightly salt them.
  • Janice4945
    Janice4945 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    94% fat free microwave popcorn, keep a bag beside you! and some cut up fresh fruit.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    popcorn is really good for the hand-to-mouth eating. or sliced cucumbers, if you want sweet.

i totally understand that mindless motion when you're writing. i smoke though and i finally invested in an e-cig and it's so much better! it's like the hands just GO!
  • vtakougang
    Options
    i buy orville redenbacher 100 cal popcorn pack and eat that whenever i feel like snacking. it also helps to drink a lot of water, or low calories drinks throughout the day to make you less hungry!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing a mindless snacking (regardless what you'll be snacking, which others have great ideas already).

While in your "thinking" spot, but not snack time or not hungry, try:
    * drink water, tea
    * chew gum (something keep your mouth moving like you are eating, but you are only consuming 5 cal per piece)
  • mo1700
    mo1700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    sultanas

grapes

strawberries
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Nuts and raisins.
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    Those are wonderful suggestions, and I should have thought of some of them on my own!

Thank you all, sooo much!

I'm going out and getting myself some nuts and fruits!
  • tiggernic
    tiggernic Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Suger snap peas are good as they are sweet and crunch and come ready to eat:smile:
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Careful of nuts when snacking! Make sure to weigh and measure first so you know exactly how many calories and fats you are getting. A handful of nuts is a lot. And mindless snacking can mean a few handfuls of nuts. Better to snack on raw veggies like carrots, celery, peppers, etc. You get the crunch and chew factor without a lot of calories. Unless you can seriously be satisfied with 8 or 9 almonds....lol! I sure can't.
  • CaliGirlinOR
    Options
    I do air popped popcorn -guilt free! I get bored by the time I eat a full serving, which is like 5 cups.

Edamame is good and carrots. Figure out if its the habit of hand to mouth -and maybe try a water bottle with a straw....

Hugs!
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack for stuff like this is either edemane or a red bellpeeper sliced. Good Luck
  • TruckerChick
    Options
    I like the popcorn idea too.

I like edamame, sugar snap peas, and bell peppers, but don't know if I can snack on those. Of course, if I put them near me, then I may not snack at all! What a GREAT idea!! :glasses: