HELP! My eating is out of control!

Options
I am new to this app and am in desperate need of help getting my eating under control! I am an over eater and don't know how to control it. Any tips?

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Start by logging everything you eat for a week without trying to change anything, then take a good look and see what's going on and where it would be easiest to make changes. Do you need smaller portions? Less calorie dense foods? Are there certain situations, places, or people which trigger overeating? Do you need to avoid having certain foods around because you have difficulty moderating them? Are there foods such as fruit which you should be eating more of for your health?

For example, I don't drink Coke because it makes me crave French fries and doesn't fill me up, and I am terrible at moderating it. If I eat enough fruit, I have fewer cravings for sweets. A small amount of dark chocolate satisfies my need for the taste without a lot of calories. I avoid eating out with a certain friend who loves fried stuff. Everyone is different!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Enter your information into MFP and get a reasonable calorie goal. If you are 50 lbs or less overweight losing 2 lbs a week is too aggressive.
    Start logging everything you consume as accurately as you can. Don't drastically change your diet today. Make small changes over time.
    Calories are what is important for weight management.
    Protein, fats and fiber can help you feel more satisfied.
    Many vegetables are low calorie and can bulk out your meals when you reduce portion sizes of higher calorie calorie foods.
    Try planning meals and prelogging your food to make sure you hit your goals.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here’s accredited sensible advice.

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=48

Start diarizing your goals and successes. Start small. Figure out when and where your trigger points are. You can then experiment with different strategies to regain control.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    High protein does wonders for keeping me feeling full.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I've found that how I start my day is often how I'll end my day. Which means if I start my day with a healthy breakfast, I'm more apt to eat healthy the rest of the day. For me, that's a bowl of old-fashioned oatmeal. And a workout. I really need my workouts first thing in the morning
  • Kamille68
    Kamille68 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    And don't forget to write down in your diary in MFP how you felt and why you think that you ate so much and how you feel later on. When you read it back later on it will help you.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Eat good foods first and get your protein in. There won't be as much room left for junk. Logging your calories can be very eye-opening. You may try fasting also. That has worked for a lot of people to help control how much they eat. For those that have a hard time stopping eating once they start, that works really well. Just don't eat anything tell lunch time and drink water instead. Eat a smaller lunch like a salad with some protein in it. Maybe have an afternoon snack. Then eat a small dinner and then maybe an evening snack. I know a person who lost a lot of weight doing that. Some people fair better eating more smaller meals and can handle that better. I have a hard time with that because I like to eat tell being full which I can't do if I eat a lot of small meals. I like fasting (I don't get that hungry if I don't put any food in my stomach but once I do I will want to keep eating tell full) and then I can eat larger meals later that will fill me up. Either of these will work if you restrict your calories enough. It is whatever is easiest for you to manage long term. Make a plan and try it and see how it goes.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Aside from accurate logging and sticking to a calorie deficit, mentally shifting your eating habits is an important challenge to undertake.

922297_orig.png

I try to stay at a Level 3-4 for most of the day, then after a meal, around 5-6. I could easily plow through a massive amount of calories very quickly and end up in the red zone and feeling bloated and awful. I purposefully give myself portions smaller than I want, then eat them slowly with plenty of water so I'm aware of how my hunger level is responding. If I still feel slightly hungry an hour after my meal, then I'll have a little more.

It's okay to feel slightly hungry for most of the day. And it's okay to stop eating when you're not actively hungry any more. You don't need to eat till you feel "full" - because "full" can quickly become bloated, uncomfortable and tired.
  • schellies
    schellies Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I try and log everything good and bad. Trying to get mine under control as well. I know I can do it I just need to build momentum to keep going.