I'm back on FP after 3 years ...15kg heavier :( The cost of my MA degree.

Options
Hi all
So i began workout out again and getting my life back on track 2 months ago when i finished my 2 year MA degree.

A degree that broke me in so many ways, mentally, physically, emotionally... I developed anxiety during it and have just had the most awful and stressful and intense 2+ years, and i'm still experiencing some anxiety symptoms but i'm really trying to calm down and accept the current situation and trying hard to forgive myself for the weight gain and lack of self-control. But there were really so many circumstances i don't want even for my worst enemy, so i try not to become too bitter about it.

I'm very motivated now to get healthier and was so sad when i weighed in for the first time in 3 years about 3 months ago, because even though i knew very well i had gained weight (i could naturally see it and feel it in my body and face), seeing the number on the scale was heartbreaking. But it made it even more real. I just cried and cried over it.

I joined a gym. I didn't actually GO to the gym for about a month or 1.5 month because i had some fear of going and i was in the limbo between wanting to go and dreading facing it, facing people, feeling uncomfortable in the new gym etc.

It's classic.

Also i gained a lot on my breasts, arms and back, and i feel self-conscious and uncomfortable in my skin.

But anyways, then i finally found the courage and i went to an intro to pilates class in the morning where there's less people, to start off easy and just show my face there. I was really happy after that. The first new time at the gym is so emotional, it's the feelings of guilt, shame, memories from when i was in good shape, the constant comparison with oneself and those earlier times, mixed with the positive feelings of motivation, of inner pep-talk, of trying to move forward and knowing one has to start somewhere.

Since then i've been going to Intro step aerobics Monday evenings, some yoga and pilates and doing some weight training on the machines.

It's not been enough as i need more cardio but just going to Step aerobics and working out in the gym has made me become a bit more confident and ready to take on other classes etc.

When i finished my degree and i started eating healthy, i had a lot of toilet visits because of water that just left my body, for 2 weeks i even woke up in the night several times to go to the bathroom. This was amazing to witness. I had really horrible eating habits as a student so my body must have been in shock as it took it 2 weeks to stabilize.

I hadn't weighed myself before that so i don't know how much that meant on the scale. I've tried to avoid the scale and just measure myself using clothes as indicators.

So i had this bra i got from my mom, it's huge, we're talking I-cup. In early August, when i started eating healthy and had all the water leaving my body, it didn't fit , i mean i could get it on but i couldn't breathe with it on.

In October it fit comfortably and i wear it all the time. My wish is to drop some sizes in breast size, and if i have to lose any weight i pray it will be from my boobs.

I don't care if they hang or whatever, i just want less breast fat because i get so self-conscious, i know people look (i hate when you talk to a person and they look on the breast area and you just know what they are thinking). I don't wear anything low cut and i try to cover up as much as i can.

Just to explain, i put on so much upper body weight that i can't fit my old clothes, my jackets won't close and shirts won't button. It's as real as it gets.

So that was a big event for me that i could fit this bra in October, and that's when i decided to weigh myself, so from August-October with all the water draining and healthy eating that also resulted in me being able to fit the bra, i think i dropped about 3-4 kilos (6-7 pounds). This means i must have weighed around 110 Kilos in August (242 pounds) Yikes!

When i weighed in in October i was weighing 105.9 kilos (233 pounds).
Since then i've been working out and eating healthy but can honestly do better and workout more.

I have been doing some cardio like Step Aerobics but just once a week which is not enough. The pilates and yoga is good but i need more cardio. The weightlifting has been good but also just 2 times a week. I'm glad though that i took it a bit slow as now i feel really that i WANT to go more and that i can actually physically handle taking on more because im not in the best shape.

My weight has been swinging between 103.2-104.3 kilos since November and my first part goal is definitely to get to under 100 kg and see 99.9 Kg on the scale. I wanted to achieve that before 2018 kicks in, but i don't think i will be able to drop 3-4 kilos in December.

I'm not eating any Xmas stuff apart from xmas eve so that i am not dragged in to this whole eating frenzy, and i've kept just regular eating routine with healthy normal food, veggies, proteins, fish etc and occasional fruit.

I'm also signed up for a gym class on 24th of December to earn a special gym badge :)

So there, i don't know if anyone will read this long story of mine, but the struggle is real, i've been in the struggle before, but this 15 kilo weight i had (now 10 kg) just was/is overwhelming.

When i logged on to FP it said my weight was 94 kg and my goal was - at the time- 84 kg. Now i wish i weighed 94 again haha! So i had to update my current weight to 104.3 Kg..

I have a graduation ceremony in the summer and it's also a motivational factor for me. I vision myself getting my degree that i really suffered a lot to achieve, but in a healthier body and healthier spirit.

My goal is to drop around 15-20 kilos (33-44 pounds) until July (in 6-7 months) in a healthy way as i am not into starvation or powder meals etc.

Has anyone in my weight-range achieved this amount in that time period?

Thank you and thanks if you read everything!

Replies

• Kamille68
    Kamille68 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've started only 5 days ago and want to lose 19 kilo. But i want to lose that slowly. It doesn't matter to me if I reach my goal in 1 or 2 years. Just want to become healthier.
    Just keep on eating healthy and log your food in MFP. I'm a little older than you but if you want we can be friends here so that we can support each other. ☺
  • beany90a
    beany90a Posts: 31 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi mycoffeepal, good to see that your already on your way to losing the weight you want to lose, I also find it impressive that your not planning on eating much during Christmas.

I was 254 lbs (115 kg) on the 16th of March 2016 and got to 225 (102 kg) on the 20th of October 2016. Then I started to lose inches instead of pounds

Your an amazing captivating writer and I can't wait to see what else you write on here
  • MyCoffeePal
    MyCoffeePal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Kamille, that's a good way to go about it, to become healthier rather than quick diet and all the stress of that. I log on to MFP randomly and i don't use it that much, but when i do it can be nice with support :) How does one add friends here?

• MyCoffeePal
    Options
    Hi Beany, thank you!

Yes, i'm honestly not even in the mood for all the Christmas goodies this year, i walk past it in the shop and it doesn't even move me an inch. Which is good! I already know what it tastes like and i already know the effects of eating it, so this year i will engage if i want on Christmas eve but overall we're making healthy quality food anyways.

When i was a bit younger, the main struggle for me was all the sweets and candy etc. but now my struggle is mostly getting enough exercise and catching myself in making bad choices every now and then.

Congrats on the weight-loss, that's a lot of weight you lost! Inches, pounds - as long as it's shrinking in a healthy way i think that's fantastic. I feel like the best way to realize i've lost weight is when some clothes finally fit. Then i don't care about the number on the scale. :)

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi all
    So i began workout out again and getting my life back on track 2 months ago when i finished my 2 year MA degree.

A degree that broke me in so many ways, mentally, physically, emotionally... I developed anxiety during it and have just had the most awful and stressful and intense 2+ years, and i'm still experiencing some anxiety symptoms but i'm really trying to calm down and accept the current situation and trying hard to forgive myself for the weight gain and lack of self-control. But there were really so many circumstances i don't want even for my worst enemy, so i try not to become too bitter about it.

I'm very motivated now to get healthier and was so sad when i weighed in for the first time in 3 years about 3 months ago, because even though i knew very well i had gained weight (i could naturally see it and feel it in my body and face), seeing the number on the scale was heartbreaking. But it made it even more real. I just cried and cried over it.

I joined a gym. I didn't actually GO to the gym for about a month or 1.5 month because i had some fear of going and i was in the limbo between wanting to go and dreading facing it, facing people, feeling uncomfortable in the new gym etc.

It's classic.

Also i gained a lot on my breasts, arms and back, and i feel self-conscious and uncomfortable in my skin.

But anyways, then i finally found the courage and i went to an intro to pilates class in the morning where there's less people, to start off easy and just show my face there. I was really happy after that. The first new time at the gym is so emotional, it's the feelings of guilt, shame, memories from when i was in good shape, the constant comparison with oneself and those earlier times, mixed with the positive feelings of motivation, of inner pep-talk, of trying to move forward and knowing one has to start somewhere.

Since then i've been going to Intro step aerobics Monday evenings, some yoga and pilates and doing some weight training on the machines.

It's not been enough as i need more cardio but just going to Step aerobics and working out in the gym has made me become a bit more confident and ready to take on other classes etc.

When i finished my degree and i started eating healthy, i had a lot of toilet visits because of water that just left my body, for 2 weeks i even woke up in the night several times to go to the bathroom. This was amazing to witness. I had really horrible eating habits as a student so my body must have been in shock as it took it 2 weeks to stabilize.

I hadn't weighed myself before that so i don't know how much that meant on the scale. I've tried to avoid the scale and just measure myself using clothes as indicators.

So i had this bra i got from my mom, it's huge, we're talking I-cup. In early August, when i started eating healthy and had all the water leaving my body, it didn't fit , i mean i could get it on but i couldn't breathe with it on.

In October it fit comfortably and i wear it all the time. My wish is to drop some sizes in breast size, and if i have to lose any weight i pray it will be from my boobs.

I don't care if they hang or whatever, i just want less breast fat because i get so self-conscious, i know people look (i hate when you talk to a person and they look on the breast area and you just know what they are thinking). I don't wear anything low cut and i try to cover up as much as i can.

Just to explain, i put on so much upper body weight that i can't fit my old clothes, my jackets won't close and shirts won't button. It's as real as it gets.

So that was a big event for me that i could fit this bra in October, and that's when i decided to weigh myself, so from August-October with all the water draining and healthy eating that also resulted in me being able to fit the bra, i think i dropped about 3-4 kilos (6-7 pounds). This means i must have weighed around 110 Kilos in August (242 pounds) Yikes!

When i weighed in in October i was weighing 105.9 kilos (233 pounds).
    Since then i've been working out and eating healthy but can honestly do better and workout more.

I have been doing some cardio like Step Aerobics but just once a week which is not enough. The pilates and yoga is good but i need more cardio. The weightlifting has been good but also just 2 times a week. I'm glad though that i took it a bit slow as now i feel really that i WANT to go more and that i can actually physically handle taking on more because im not in the best shape.

My weight has been swinging between 103.2-104.3 kilos since November and my first part goal is definitely to get to under 100 kg and see 99.9 Kg on the scale. I wanted to achieve that before 2018 kicks in, but i don't think i will be able to drop 3-4 kilos in December.

I'm not eating any Xmas stuff apart from xmas eve so that i am not dragged in to this whole eating frenzy, and i've kept just regular eating routine with healthy normal food, veggies, proteins, fish etc and occasional fruit.

I'm also signed up for a gym class on 24th of December to earn a special gym badge :)

So there, i don't know if anyone will read this long story of mine, but the struggle is real, i've been in the struggle before, but this 15 kilo weight i had (now 10 kg) just was/is overwhelming.

When i logged on to FP it said my weight was 94 kg and my goal was - at the time- 84 kg. Now i wish i weighed 94 again haha! So i had to update my current weight to 104.3 Kg..

I have a graduation ceremony in the summer and it's also a motivational factor for me. I vision myself getting my degree that i really suffered a lot to achieve, but in a healthier body and healthier spirit.

My goal is to drop around 15-20 kilos (33-44 pounds) until July (in 6-7 months) in a healthy way as i am not into starvation or powder meals etc.

Has anyone in my weight-range achieved this amount in that time period?

Thank you and thanks if you read everything!

I'm so sorry that you had a difficult time for the last two years. But you've come out of it.
    With your last question, I have achieved that weight lost, and had a similiar starting weight as you did. I started the last week of June, and have lost 33 lbs. I took 3 weeks off to eat at maintenance in that time period. So I lost that in about 4 months and 2 weeks. (My starting weight was 237, and I'm at 204 now. My goal is 137). I'm 52 years old and female.

Are you using MFP to track your food? You do not have to exercise more to lose weight. Just create a deficit in calories by eating less. Controlling your eating will do more than exercise to drop the weight, although exercise is good. I have been exercising regularly, but I was doing some before I started MFP and did not lose. What has made me lose is eating less calories.
  • MyCoffeePal
    Options
    Hey! That sounds like a good amount of time to shed 33 pounds!
    I'm not using MFP to track food but perhaps i should give it a shot.
    For me the exercise is what keeps me eating healthy even more so i go for 3 times a week and was hoping actually to increase it to 4 times per week.

But i hear what you're saying about the one of the main things for weightloss is the calories.
    I eat between 1500-1700 Kcal per day which is a good amount for me..i don't want to go lower than that as i've tried being constantly hungry and just binging out when i couldn't hold back anymore.

But i will try an experiement to see if what i eat really is 1500-1700 kcal as i believe it is. (life long experiences with dieting i'm pretty good at knowing how many calories are in what etc by now). But i will try MFP! If it can help me, i'm all for it.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I was surprised when I first started tracking on MFP. I had never calorie counted before, and I had no idea how many calories I was supposed to be eating. But I was eating healthy for about a year but was actually GAINING. I was shocked to see that I was eating probably 3000 calories per day--which definitely explains why I gained 10 lbs. in the last year and was not losing! Even weighing over 200 lbs. that is more than maintenance. My goal weight of 137 has a maintenance in the 1600s for my age. No way would I have EVER gotten there if I had not started tracking my food and calories. My doctor recommend that I write down what I was eating. I had no intention of actually tracking calories--but once I saw what I was eating, it was easy to eat less (since it was a ridiculous amount of food and so much it was causing me digestive distress) and then I started reading the forums and started to follow the MFP program and it's working. I only wish I had known sooner!
  • MyCoffeePal
    Options
    hey! 3000 kcal is a lot! I eat more or less the same foods/dishes so it's easy for me to track and i eat between 1600-1700 kcal per day. Occasionally even around 1400-1500, there's not a lot of surprises when i'm in my good routines, the only days there might be is when i eat out or if i had some cravings where i will cave and eat something i usually wouldn't. I try to have these days at a minimum but once a month it's usually there, what to do. Also, there might be hidden calories for example coffee outside vs coffee at home can be very different, and things like that. I'm sure there's some calories that are unaccounted for that get through, but nothing like getting to 3000, at least not now anymore! In the past i'm sure i had also 3000 on some days.

I'm gonna try logging just to be sure and to get smarter about myself to see if anything needs changing etc. :)