Moringa Tea

Options
Is Moringa tea safe? Does it really have all the benefits that I read about when I Google it? I hear the roots can cause paralysis but some websites say the the roots can be eaten too. Is this a safe tea? A person in a fitness career is recommending it to me. Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Icandoit233
    Icandoit233 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I thought you misspelled "Morning Tea" so I came in hoping we all would have a pleasant time.

I thought the same thing lol
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Google lists far too many effects for this to be true.

Think about it... if it did anything like what it pretends to, wouldn't scientists and health care professionals be shouting about it from the roof tops? There's currently simply not enough evidence to support all those ridiculous claims (I quickly looked).

Of all those benefits that the tea tries to promise (but doesn't really deliver), what exactly made you think it's a good idea to listen to someone who's only really out for your money?
  • richandmarieb
    richandmarieb Posts: 17 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    "MonkeyMel21 wrote: »
    I thought you misspelled "Morning Tea" so I came in hoping we all would have a pleasant time.

Ha! Me too! Thought it was about morning tea :) which I love. I'm a Red Rose fan myself.

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    LadyReva, it was fairly cheap. He thought it would be a better alternative for energy instead of an energy shot.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    What is an "energy shot"?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I don't take supplements that aren't recommended to me by my doctor. They're not approved by the FDA, so I seek counsel from a medical professional, not someone trying to sell me something.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    An energy shot is in a 2 ounce bottle. It has caffeine. I do use caffeine pills too. I'm on meds that I can't stop taking and they make me drowsy.

I'm quite sure I won't be buying Moringa tea
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada we have a bizarre naked kidnapping case that allegedly involves a hallucinogenic tea.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3889767/naked-kidnapping-people-leduc-crash-south-of-edmonton-charges/

They didn't know......
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I thought it was morning too? HA!, add a shot of whiskey, then YUM!
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Here in Canada we have a bizarre naked kidnapping case that allegedly involves a hallucinogenic tea.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3889767/naked-kidnapping-people-leduc-crash-south-of-edmonton-charges/

They didn't know......

Oh wow. Horrible
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    An energy shot is in a 2 ounce bottle. It has caffeine. I do use caffeine pills too. I'm on meds that I can't stop taking and they make me drowsy.

I'm quite sure I won't be buying Moringa tea

Good to hear that, especially if you are on medications of any sort. Herbal teas and supplement can have interactions with medications, reason why you should always tell your doctor and/or pharmacists if you are taking something not prescribed to be sure you don't have any bad surprises. Best case nothing happens but in some extreme cases, the effect of the medication can be negated. Just to give a somewhat harmless example: you shouldn't take Iron supplements with Coffee as that can reduce the resorption of the iron in the guts (which is only really a problem if you're low on iron).

Have you mentioned the drowsiness to your doctor? Maybe he might have a suggestion.

Since you are on medications, I'd be wary of any suggestions given by a fitness trainer or found in an online forum. At the very least, run it past a pharmacist before implementing it. They usually know what interactions can occur and whether it might be problematic with your medication.

Thank you LadyReva78 for a very informative post. I didn't even think about contraindications. I have discussed the drowsiness with my doctor. We made one change which helped some. I will discuss it more when I see her in a few weeks.
  • saraonly9913
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    I love calicos - I just wanted to say that...

Me too! Thank you!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    How about potentially bleeding out or having a miscarriage?
    After a week of urinating blood I began to think the problem at hand was not a kidney stone issue.

Then someone sent me a link to a website where the information suggested moringa could cause internal bleeding. So I began to research moringa's effects on bleeding and clotting. There are several quite complicated scientific papers on how moringa's chemical components can interfere with blood clotting. After reading and rereading the medical terms I realized that the plant is actually a very powerful anti-coagulant and even an abortifacient.

Source: http://aorta-tear.blogspot.com/2013/09/morninga-can-be-deadly-too-plant.html

I'm on the blood thinner coumadin. Moringa sounds like a potential trip to the morgue for someone like me. In fact, if you read the research article the blog post links to, it's being considered as another anticoagulant alongside coumadin, heparin, and others.

People don't seem to understand: many/most of the drugs used in medicine originated as components extracted from plant or animal tissues (aspirin from willow bark, for example). Substances aren't safe just because they're "natural". The poison ricin is found in castor beans -- so it's perfectly "natural" -- as well as being perfectly deadly. What makes these supplements particularly dangerous is: there are no standards for manufacturing as there are for meds you get from your pharmacist.