Anyone else 4'11 and have a max of 1200 calories out there??

Options
I really have to plan my meals in advance just to eat for the day! Just wondering if anyone has the same problem about my height and so forth...

Replies

• DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 but I get 1200 cal max too. I do a lot of repetitive stuff just because it's easy and i already know the calories by heart. LOL
  • msjackson1019
    msjackson1019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No...but I am 5'7" and have a max allowance of 1220. Most days I have to exercise to be under the limit. If I don't, I do 200 calories for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 100 for a snack, 500 for dinner, and another 100 for a second snack. Thank God for 100 Calorie bags of popcorn...
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm only slightly taller at 5'0", and my goal is set at 1290 calories. It is tight for me. I had to change some of my daily meals (especially breakfast), and I have to often plan ahead for dinner. I started eating half portions of meat and extra vegetables so I could stay in my limit. I know a lot of people don't "eat back" their exercise calories, but I do take advantage of a few extra calories to squeeze in a treat every once in a while.
  • chitniss
    chitniss Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0 and I have a 1200 calorie budget. Usually cereal and milk in the morning dents about 300. Lunch takes away another 300-400. Dinner another 300-400. Some fruit in the middle or something like that to fill in the gaps. I usually go about 50-100 calories over almost every day, but I dont mind. My 1200 calories cut off is for 1.8 lb/week loss. I'll be fine if I loose say 1.5 lb/week. One way to increase your 1200 limit is to do say 300 calories worth of workout, and you can now eat 1500 calories.

Going below 1200 calories/day can be dangerous for your health, and usually increases starvation response which makes you lethargic, low energy, sleepy, and may manifest as depressive mood.

Cheers
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with the same height. I eat lots of chicken, fish and veggies and always drink my water. I eat some of my exercise calories back, but not all.
  • BrownSugar81
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and I'm in the same boat!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Exercise and increase your calorie allowance.
  • allison_joan
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and have my calories set to 1050 but I usually keep it between 1050 and 1200 net calories a day. It is really hard for me to keep my calories low though and I usually have to think about my meals the day before. If I go out to eat, it's like completely ruined lol add me for support!
  • AimGal
    AimGal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller than you - 5'2.5" - but my target is similar, 1280 cals.

I work out 4 times a week so I can eat a little more on those days, and I have one day a week (either Friday or Saturday) where I eat whatever I want but still log it. Having a day off is a bit of a mental trick I play with myself. What's interesting to me is that I'm in the habit of eating properly, so I end up staying within reasonable limits, but adding a treat or a dinner out. Having the free day also seems to help my metabolism to not stall out, which has been an issue for me in the past.

For breakfast every day, I make a protein shake in the blender:
    1 scoop Twin Labs Vanilla Slam whey protein (130 cal)
    1 packet Starbucks VIA instant coffee (3 cal)
    1 cup unsweetened almond milk (40 cal)
    ice

OR on a workout day, I have about 150 calories more for breakfast post-workout:
    1 scoop protein powder (130)
    1 cup frozen berries (70)
    2T PB2 (55)
    1 cup coconut water (40)
    1 T chia seeds (40)

When I get to work I have a 12 oz soy cappuccino (70 cal) -- yes i am lucky we have this at work
    Mid-morning I usually have a small apple (55) and a tiger's milk bar (150,) which feels like a treat.

Lunch is a cup of original Kashi Go Lean (140) with a Dannon Activia Light (70) mixed in, or leftovers from the night before - a protein and some veggies for around 200-250 cal.

Afternoon snack is often a piece of fruit (60) and an ounce of cheese or some pb2 (~110) or a couple of servings of whatever veggies are in season.

Typical dinner is either tofu and veggies or poultry and veggies or fish and veggies. Occasionally some brown rice or whole wheat pasta.
    One recent example is:
    Ground turkey, 4oz (120)
    Tomato sauce, homemade from fresh tomatoes, garlic, herbs (55)
    Safeway Select stuffed rigatoni, 5 pieces (180)
    If I don't add the pasta, I add a bunch of extra veggies and put the sauce on top.

Evening snack, if I have one, is a piece of fresh or dried fruit, some veggies and dip, or a piece of dark chocolate for ~75 cal

And that's about a 1280 calorie day for me without going hungry.
  • mojo501976
    mojo501976 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, are any of you lsoing the weight though? I feel as if I eat more than the 1200 I don't lose weight but at the same time, if I eat below the 1200 limit, am I still don't lose the weight. I have a workout room and do about 45 min of cardio a day and also lift weights (the weights are new), I try to change my workout times to change things a bit, and still nothing!
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    My typical day looks like:

breakfast:
    trader joes fiber medley cereal
    1/3 cup of coconut milk (silk brand)

snack: grapefruit

lunch: 1/2 cup black beans
    1 jalepeno
    1/2 tomato
    1 clove garlic (I steam them and throw them in with the beans and a bit of sea salt)

or whole wheat english muffin with tomato and a bit of neufchatel philadelphia cream cheese

snack: apple

dinner: fish/chicken and veggies or cous cous and pine nuts or soft taco/taco or whole wheat pasta with organic pasta sauce

snack: yogurt or nectarine or strawberries

late at night watching TV/movies I eat 94% fat free popcorn
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds in the past month. I even went out with friends a couple times and had drinks (my weakness is alcohol) and I traveled for work (flights and eating at hotels) a couple days too. I still tried to stay exactly around 1200 and it's working...slowly but surely....
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    Options
    if you are working out you probably need to eat the calories you are burning off. I actually lose more if I don't workout which is really weird.
  • AimGal
    AimGal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm losing as well. I noticed yesterday that my pattern seems to be lose 5, gain 3, lose 7, gain 2, etc. In other words, it's up and down for me, but the overall trend is downward. I've lost 10 pounds in 8 weeks, which isn't bad at all. And I've gained a ton of muscle with my workouts, so my body shape has really changed.

One thing to watch out for: make sure your NET calories are 1200. If you're working out and not eating your exercise calories you may be in starvation mode. That's part of my reason for the "free day" each week -- I work out hard enough and long enough to earn about 1000 calories per workout, and I find it really difficult to eat 2200 calories in a day. So I track my weekly average and make sure I average out to 1200 net calories per day. (If I'm under by 400 on a workout day, I eat 400 extra the following day.) I'm ok with losing slowly, as long as I'm feeling fit and energetic.
  • Mandyw58
    Mandyw58 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm also 4'11 and have a 1200 calorie goal. It was really hard at first to meet the 1200, because I always felt hungry, but my body is adjusting to it and I'm more satisfied with my smaller portions.

I usually plan on 200-300 calories for breakfast, 300-400 each for lunch and dinner, and the rest in snacks. When I exercise, I eat larger meals or more snacks.

When you're our size, it's definitely harder to lose weight. A taller person can eat 1200 calories a day with a 500 calorie deficit per day and in theory lose a pound per week. A 500 calorie deficit just isn't healthy when you're smaller. I am losing weight though, just very slowly, and that could be because I'm not being super-strict with my food and exercise. But I am noticing more of a difference in my body as far as being more toned and having more energy when I exercise.
  • mojo501976
    Options
    Thank you all again for the support. I really like the idea of buring the calories I am working off in a day. I just started doing some weight training as we just got a weight bench. The thing is though, this program doesn't count how many calories we burn while doing strength training - yet I have seen many people post some strength training exercises and it contribute towards their exercise count. What do you do for this? You have to be burning calories when you lift weights, right?
  • melarchuleta22
    Options
    Im 5'0 with 1200..
  • mojo501976
    Options
    I found this a moment ago from a website: sorry didn't record the address but it was health check usa.

Generally, to maintain your weight, the amount of calories you take in should equal the amount you burn. The Daily Energy Expenditure calculator will help you figure out the minimum number of calories your body needs each day to work properly. To lose one U.S. pound (.454 kg), you must burn 3,500 more calories than you take in as food.
  • mango281
    mango281 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have completely eliminated soft drinks and replaced them with water. This has helped with the calorie count. :smile:
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and was given a 1200 max, but I changed it to 1000, since I don't really have a big appetite. My challenge is eating a healthy 1000 calories, instead of 1000 calories of chips, ice cream, and frozen dinners :D