Changed nothing, but gaining weight??

Options
I have been doing everything right for 3 weeks now, 1200 calories, healthy food, working out 4 times a week and initially I lost 6lbs (the first week). The problem is, I'm gaining weight now and I don't know why. I went from 156 to 149 in a week and now I'm back to 152 and I haven't changed anything (I'm actually working out harder). Can anybody help me with this?

Replies

• MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I have been doing everything right for 3 weeks now, 1200 calories, healthy food, working out 4 times a week and initially I lost 6lbs (the first week). The problem is, I'm gaining weight now and I don't know why. I went from 156 to 149 in a week and now I'm back to 152 and I haven't changed anything (I'm actually working out harder). Can anybody help me with this?

TOM?

I easily gain 3-5+ pounds right before my period. If the weight's piled on that quickly and you haven't been consuming enough calories to explain a fat gain, it's probably either water retention or waste.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Might be water retention..
    How much sodium to you eat?
    Might be good to watch it for a while..
  • justine5587
    justine5587 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    it might be muscle! I suggest you wait another week to see if anything has changed. Muscle will help your body to burn more calories all day long, but it's also heavier than fat, so maybe this is why the scale shows you the "wrong" thing...

I'm not an expert, but I,ve experienced something like that before!

Keep up the hard work!
  • xcbballuver
    Options
    bump
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    it might be muscle! I suggest you wait another week to see if anything has changed. Muscle will help your body to burn more calories all day long, but it's also heavier than fat, so maybe this is why the scale shows you the "wrong" thing...

I'm not an expert, but I,ve experienced something like that before!

Keep up the hard work!

From what I understand, people don't gain muscle mass that quickly. Though, working out a lot (especially if you're not used to it) can case water retention.

Honestly, my recommendation is to drink lots of water and weight yourself again in a couple days.
  • Phanessa917
    Phanessa917 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Try Calorie cycling or zig zagging. eating high calories one day & lower another but staying within the total for the week. It usually helps break plateaus. Your body gets used to the normal 1200/cal a day.
  • pauterson
    Options
    if you're working out harder it's possible that 1200 calories isn't enough and your body is holding onto the weight. try increasing your calories a couple hundred for the days you work out crazy hard. Also, do lots of weight lifting because it will help you increase metabolic rate and keep your body burining calories for a longer period of time. I know it seems totally weird to increase yoru calories to loose weight but it really does work. Try lower carb higher protein too.. plus the feminine cycle usually gets in the way of the scale. good luck!
  • parshath
    Options
    Try adjusting your calories each day while still maintaining the same net calories over the course of a week, eating more some days and less others. People have reported that helping them break similar plateaus.

The weight your gaining may be a positive thing. Investing in a scale that can estimate body fat % may pleasantly reveal that you're building lean muscle mass, which will increase the maximum amount of calories you can consume without gaining body fat, and improve your overall health.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    maybe you need more water or a cup of black coffee or green tea
  • lugovelb
    lugovelb Posts: 60
    Options
    Some tips.
    1. Use the same scale
    2 . Weigt yourself always at the same time of day. (I prefer mornings. ) Your weight can fluctuate couple of pounds in one day depending on your daily routine and time of day.
  • RhondaKay21
    Options
    Like others have said, it can be water, but if you are gaining muscle. It weights twice as much as fat, but burns calories. It's best to take you messurements. Chest, hips, waist, upper arm. upper thigh. Check them every two weeks. The scale can be deceiving. You might be getting smaller and gain. That will let you know if you are burning of the fat and gaining muscle in it place. Just keep up the good work. It took time and doing the wrong things to gain the weight. Now you are doing the right things. It will come off and you are going to feel better too.

Good luck!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to give a definitive answer from the information provided as there are too many variables to consider.

It's never a black and white "Calories In vs Calories out" equation as that, while it's correct in principle, doesn't address the general lifestyle of the individual which affects every element of your being.

Often however the solutions are simple things which we might take for granted or not even realize we are doing in our daily lives.