Clothing Woes.... (Losing weight can be expensive)

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I only bought bottoms at the change of seasons because the ones from the previous season were falling off. Only bought tops when I got close to my goal weight.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    sadly, 75lbs later I am still wearing the majority of my big girl clothes and yes look like a bag lady because in my mind, I still have weight to lose and do not want to buy new clothes until then... I have purchased a couple pair of dress pants from the consignment store to wear to work and have purchased a couple shirts that actually fit there as well... However, the majority of my clothes are still for me at 260lbs... :o:o:o I will say there are a bazillion ways you can crimp your shirts with the little elastics from your kids braces to make the shirts not look like a moo moo... well so I've heard that is LMAO...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I dropped 3 sizes over the period of a year. I bought very reasonable clothes (am keen on bargains anyway :smile:) to transition as I wanted to feel good about myself at each size.
    I sold alot of clothes that no longer fit on eBay.
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I go to outlets and cheap department stores to get black skinny jeans $20 or less and I get cheap $7 shirts online at RainbowShops. For a while, I used cheap stretch yoga pants with pockets that passed well enough for dress pants.

I had to stick to 2-3 shirts and pants at a time to keep things cheap.

It still feels expensive at times since I had to build a closet for summer and winter, but at least I made it to goal weight so the buying has temporarily slowed down.

For reference, my last purchase was $52. Six long sleeve shirts and one long sleeve dress from RainbowShops during black friday.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I keep tabs on big sales at Old Navy and can often pick up new jeans/shirts for cheap. (I don't have the patience to scrounge through racks trying to find things - not a shopping fan)
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I found it helpful to buy gently used clothing as opposed to brand new.

Yeah, get thee to a thrift shop. Another thing I've done is I have a sewing machine, so I just alter my clothes down or alter down clothes I find in the thrift shop. I saved a ton of money on jeans doing this.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I still buy clothes at thrift stores. I find awesome name brand stuff because the town I live in is full of trust funders that love to donate their gently used stuff. I've gotten some new things now that I'm at maintenance, but shopping for clothes has never been my strong suit. I'm happy in jeans and t shirts. I got rid of everything that is too big. No going back!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Goodwill kept me in clothes while losing 150 lbs. I still go there for most of my casual clothes. I can buy a whole wardrobe for the price of one new item, so my closet is stuffed!
  • fldiver97
    fldiver97 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Consignment store, good sales and limited wardrobe during loss. I also did the leggings and long sweater or short dress thing and it was good enough for work dress requirements. I ended up 1 or 2 sizes smaller than planned and it took me over a year to finally donate all the clothes that I planned to wear again
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    While I was losing, I bought a lot of stuff at cheaper places like Ross, or looked for bargains on Amazon, and just tried to make do with fewer clothes. I moved across the country in the same month I reached my goal weight. I got rid of nearly every piece of clothing I owned because it didn't fit anymore, so why pay to ship it to California? The only things I had that fit were race t-shirts. I had to buy clothes for my new job, but I still don't have a very big wardrobe, since I hate shopping.

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm very happy I'm losing weight but I am burdened by the clothes I go through. I had went through my winter clothes a bit ago. I just had to put up almost all I thought I could get by with. Shopping at Salvation army does help. I want to spend my money on my family but today I spent $45 on an xmas shirt and two pairs of pants. It took lots of trying on different clothe to get a good fit. Lol lol I find it depressing when things don't even fit me at the store.

Yeah, like I said, I'm glad I'm losing weight but the clothes issue is stressful. Plus I won't get rid of anything unless it's raggy. I'm running out of room in my closet. I want to wait until a year of maintenance before I get rid of my clothes.

I rambled. Sorry
  • monicapiazza
    monicapiazza Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Great problem to have! And tbh it's all yoga pants over here for another 15 pounds
  • DYLPICKEL
    DYLPICKEL Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Sell the 38's at a consignment store or run an add to swap for smaller. Its a problem I am looking forward to having myself. B)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Get a couple of neutral pants and spice them up with less expensive, more forgiving shirts and accessories.
  • MrsPinterest34
    MrsPinterest34 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Also, when you lost the weight everything you try on fits. Someone suggested Ross, Old Navy those are good ideas. Try Marshalls and TJ Max. Stretchy pants are ideal. You can wear them for a while. I'm getting ready to pack up all my old clothes that are big ( some new with tags) and give them to family members. That's how I can justify buying new clothes without guilt and create more space in my closet.
    . I haven't stopped shopping at my favorite stores, but I'm super picky about price now that everything fits and I look for good discounts in the clearance sections . Some of my favs for bargains, Express Fashion, Forever 21, H&M, Guess Factory outlet, Banana republic outlet, New York and Company outlet, Nordstrom Rack, Neiman Marcus outlet, Saks OFF Fifth and Macy's. I've been taking advantage of the Christmas specials. After Jan 1st no more shopping until summer.
  • dnunny70
    dnunny70 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My clothing is mostly hand-me-downs, thrift store, LuLuRoe (I know, I know) and some from Old Navy.

I would defintely check out local thrift stores/Goodwill etc. I get complimetns on what I am wearing and I say--Thrift store! Check with family, coworkers for suggestions on places that have a good selection of used clothing.

Congrats on losing weight!

*maybe try and sell the pants on a local FB group or selling app?*
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! I have the same bmi goal and should make it into the overweight category this week, too! :)
  • koslowkj
    koslowkj Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    As others have said, second hand and sales. Also, if you know someone good with a sewing machine maybe they would be able to take in a few staple pieces. Probably harder with pants and shirts, but my mom was able to bring my favorite skirt down three sizes!

Congrats on losing enough to have this problem!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    KelGen02 wrote: »
    sadly, 75lbs later I am still wearing the majority of my big girl clothes and yes look like a bag lady because in my mind, I still have weight to lose and do not want to buy new clothes until then... I have purchased a couple pair of dress pants from the consignment store to wear to work and have purchased a couple shirts that actually fit there as well... However, the majority of my clothes are still for me at 260lbs... :o:o:o I will say there are a bazillion ways you can crimp your shirts with the little elastics from your kids braces to make the shirts not look like a moo moo... well so I've heard that is LMAO...

Oh my goodness. Go buy yourself some transitional clothes from a thrift store. You deserve it!!