Feeling so low

Options
Hey guys I’m really struggling at the moment to be okay with how I look it’s so hard !! Like I look I the mirror and all that stares back at me is a pale, fat chick and I don’t like her she need to go away but I just love my chocolate and sweets and pop ... yes I know what your going to say ;) but I have times when I’m really on it and do exercise and eat healthy I enjoy it but literally something will knock me of course then I’ll be eating rubbish and drinking rubbish for 2-4 weeks I really don’t know how to stop my destructive behaviour

Anyone help o:)

Replies

• sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself smaller portions of those things if you can't cut them out completely and work them into your daily calorie allowance.

When you feel yourself going into the phase of "drinking and eating rubbish" ask yourself why and see if you can pinpoint triggers and emotions. Then figure out other coping mechanisms or habits.
  • ForeverPrimed
    ForeverPrimed Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your approach to dieting maybe too strict. Do you restrict foods you enjoy while dieting? Also, are you a perfectionist?
  • dimaslopes
    dimaslopes Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    start by decreasing your crap intake little by little, then get some recipe substitutes - use stevia for example.
    Small steps is the better way. And find something to increase your self respect and do something you like that dont involve heavy drinking or binging.
    After this start considering entering a diet.
  • Timimbo
    Timimbo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's not as scary as you think. Slowly start removing your triggers week by week. If you have 4 pops a week, try 2. Same goes with food that may make you over eat. The key is to find balance within health and fitness. You can still enjoy the foods you love and have the physique you've always wanted. Also, start moving more! I recommend getting a step counter like a fitbit, track how active you are and then slowly add more steps to your goal. It doesn't have to be a giant leap, aim for 700-1000 more steps every 2 weeks. Making these small changes will set you up for success.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your coping skills are mostly linked to food, so when something goes wrong, you're using food to make yourself feel better. Developing other skills to help you manage your emotions that aren't linked to food will really help. What other things can you do to make yourself feel better besides eating?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    As another poster said, log everyone, it provides accountability. And think about the negative thoughts you're having ... If all you see in the mirror is a pale, fat, chick you're not looking hard enough. Why is that all you see? And if that is all you see could those thoughts because causing you to overeat because "why bother?"

You need to see value in taking care of yourself. If you overeat when you're sad or upset, you're essentially taking your feelings out on yourself via your body. And that won't change or help, in fact, it may make you feel worse and perpetuate the cycle of not caring.

When you're upset, what can you do to channel your feelings besides eat? Have multiple plans in place, things you enjoy, not things which are a punishment. Things that make you feel good, or at least better. You need to break the cycle and forgive yourself when you don't. Nobody's perfect, we all make mistakes. It's how we continue on after that really matters.
  • Wed2B
    Wed2B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much really going to try and stick at it getting married next year so need to shed some weight and tone up at least
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Demonizing foods you like gives it power over you so you overeat when you try to restrict. Just eat a balanced diet - anything can be part of a balanced diet. If you want to reduce intake of something you like, you have to not keep it near you, and eat other things you like instead.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    When I was ready to give up I came here and swore I was going to eat like a normal person or stay fat. By eat like a normal person I meant any food I liked not a restrictive diet. I found that tracking and calorie reduction was what I needed to do.

Set a reasonable goal like 1 lb a week. Give it time. You don't have to be perfect every day just do something sustainable.
    Start logging your everything you consume as accurately as you can. Don't worry about changing your diet at first or exercising like crazy.
    Then try to stick to your calorie goal. Notice what foods help you do that.
    Try to get enough protein, fats and fiber.
    Eat food you actually like. Start reducing portion sizes of higher calorie foods and bulking out your meals with lower calorie foods like vegetables.

If you have a higher calorie day log it and move on.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to focus on WHY I am here in the first place... Rome wasn't built in a day, right? step by step stone by stone... we are adopting a new way of life far from our old habits. Good luck to you! You and no one else has the power...