To drink or not to drink?

Options
Hi I'm going to a hen do on Saturday night, and I can't decide if drink alcohol or not, just starting to see some progress with losing fat and becoming fitter and don't want to ruin all my hard work for one night out. I'm not worried about the calories as I only ever drink vodka lime and soda at 76 cals. My problem is what the alcohol will do to me.
Should u say to hell with it it's one night or not, thing is I don't enjoy drinking hate the feeling in the morning. But don't want go look a bore if I'm the only one not! Anyone help with the negative afraid of alcohol on fat loss?

Replies

• GladImTall
    GladImTall Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    make sure you eat beforehand and you can nurse your vodka drink through the night.. Or- tip the bartender well and ask him to make you a club soda with a twist of lime. Just make sure your drink looks the same as your 'alcohol' drink you started the night with. Easy fake-out.

Or- you just let everyone know that you're making good changes for your life and don't need to drink! :)
  • GypsyRose25
    Options
    I've had a lot to drink, and it hasn't impacted my weightloss at all... but that is just me. I don't get bloated or retain water.
  • ammiehill79
    ammiehill79 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Honestly, going out and having a drink or two will not hurt your progress. I would stay away from drinking so much that you feel it the next morning. Also, before bed drink a small bottle of pedilyte and you will feel fine, due to electrolytes. Have fun!
    OR...you could always order a soda with lime and no one would know the difference.
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually have one drink, then a large water before my next drink. Seems to keep me from over indulging and prevents hangovers.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thing is that the effects of alcohol stay with you longer than just that one night... Slows down your metabolism, attitude isn't just right and eating right seems to be the last thing on the mind when nursing a hangover...

If you choose to drink, be sure to get right back on track the next day!
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I would say don't drink if you don't like it.

But if you think that you should or want to then try alternating an alcoholic drink with a non.
  • rjeffs62
    Options
    I think if you start depriving yourself completely, you may set yourself up to fail. The key is to not get drunk so you have that ucky day after feeling. Maybe plan on an extra 1/2 hour of exercise for the day after so you don't feel like you took a step backwards. Good luck!!
  • duke520
    duke520 Posts: 30
    Options
    Scotch and water. Hold the scotch.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    dont apologise for choosing not to want to drink, you can still have a good tie. if you do over indulge, try not to mix drinks, stick to one type of drink and make sure you drink lots of water in-between and at least 2 litres before going to sleep to avoid a hang over.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I am a drinker...used to be a much heavier drinker before MFP!!! I always drink and I always save calories for drinking. If I know its a big night out I try to throw in another workout to get some extra calories. I however do not usually get hangovers. Just stay hydrated well throughout the day and drink plenty of water again before bed!