Hypothyroid

Options
I'm a 50 or old male and have hypothyroid. Ive been very discouraged as of late.

Who here has been successful in losing weight? How many calories do you eat, and how often do you exercise?

Replies

• Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'm a 35 year old woman. I have no thyroid and rely completely on synthroid. How are your levels? You can lose weight if your levels are in the correct range. I have had the best results by eliminating most carbs, sugars and processed food. I currently eat 1200 calories per day and am losing 2lbs a week on average, though it's leveling off a bit now that I'm closer to my goal. I've lost 40 pounds in 4 months.
    In general, since my thyroid was removed many years ago, I find that I am quick to gain weight but also quick to lose (if I am being very strict).
    Don't get discouraged! It make take a little longer for you, while levels get sorted out and you find what works, but it will happen!

****edited to add that I work out 5-6 days a week. A mix of cardio and strength training.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I'm a 56 year old female with hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed about 7 years ago and at first, I lost weight fairly easily when I was first put on medication. Now, it's much more difficult even those my labs are normal.
    I work out five days a week with cardio/weights/yoga.
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in my mid-20s. I wasn't that overweight at the time of my diagnosis (maybe by about 15 lbs), but I gained an additional 40 lbs even after being put on medication because I was still overeating.

I think it depends on the severity of your specific case (I'm not an expert on this condition by any means), but hypothyroidism wasn't the main cause of my obesity. I didn't lose a single pound from being put on medication because I hadn't changed my eating habits. It is true that it's more difficult to lose weight when you have an underactive thyroid, but in my experience it's not significantly easier to lose weight once your levels are in a normal range. It's not like the weight will just fall off when you find the correct dosage of medication. I still had to work hard and diligently track my food intake for nearly a year to get back to a healthy weight. I ate between 1200-1400 calories a day (I'm a woman and about 5'3) and did cardio 4-5x per week. Now that I'm in my goal weight range, I still try to stay under 1700-1800 calories/day and do a good hour-long cardio workout at least 3x per week.

It's totally possible to lose with hypothyroidism. You can work with your doctor to find an appropriate dosage of medication which will help, but you still need to commit to a healthy lifestyle. And it gets more difficult with age, as you probably know. I wish you luck in your journey, you can do this.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also have this issue and agree with other posters in several others.

1. Consistent Generic Med brand was a key to me. I kept bouncing around in how I felt and my levels, despite taking my meds. I learned the hard way to make sure it was always the same manufacture...and I ask EVERYTIME I get my script because pharmacies will change their brand to get better deals and you never know it.

2. I also take supplements to help support my system and I take a very active approach to knowing exactly what is in them, how they interact...and when I should take them. I make sure nothing interferes with the prescription med.

3. I also cut out carbs and sugars and have little processed food. Making sure my body didn't have to filter out all the extra "stuff" to get needed nutrients helped a ton. Even when levels are testing in range, my body feels like it is processing/metabolizing everything in slow motion.

4. When sedentary, I can only eat 1000-1100 calories a day, even with my level "normal". When I walk 2-3 miles a day, I can go up to 1300. I track EVERYTHING...I am hyper vigilant...I have been through trial and error figuring out the "formula" for me. I think that magic formula is different for all of us...male/female, Meds/Supplements, calories/carbs. EDUCATION is key...know everything about what your doing and the pros/cons. I was frustrated until I took a very active role in managing the problem. Take the general guideline for the "average" person with the problem, then start tweaking it for your personal situation.
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Note: 3. I also cut out carbs and sugars and have little processed food.

I didn't literally mean I CUT THEM OUT. I meant, I cut them way back. Live pretty close to a ketonic diet and it really helps me.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    54 year old man, hypothyroid, lost 35 lbs by eating fewer calories, setting goals and tracking calories with MFP, and exercising. I also take my Synthroid daily without fail, on an empty stomach and at least a half hour (usually longer) before eating.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,843 Member
    Options
    62 year old woman, hypo for 15 years (medicated), lost over 50 pounds in just under a year at 59-60, and have maintained a healthy weight since.

I work out several times a week - try for 6 days, don't always hit that - mostly rowing (water and machine) and spin classes. (BTW, my workout routine was much the same for 10+ years of obesity preceding weight loss. For me, weight loss was all about managing eating habits.)

I lost weight with about the same ease/difficulty as non-hypo people, as far as I can tell, and maintain on higher calories than most women my age/size (mid-2000s for 5'5" & 120s).

I don't think that properly medicated hypothyroidism is a guarantee of weight loss doom. Plenty of good advice given by those above.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    35yo thyroid-less and on synthroid - like others, as long as my levels are optimized I lose weight - "normal" is a fairly large range and finding what works for you and having a doctor who will listen is key - I feel most normal at the .5-.8 range (of the .5-4.5 range) - others are different