Emotional Upset/Drama and Exercise

Options
Does anyone else feel like their exercise is affected by emotional drama in their life? Meaning you have so much on your mind from people causing drama in your life (other times feeling they’re not really supporting you), that you find it hard to focus on your workouts when you are doing them and you feel it’s holding you back from your best potential? I don’t really have time for meditation beforehand and can’t avoid the people causing it any more than I already do (mom and/or husband at different times) I guess I need a mantra or something positive to think about and work hard to not give up on actually doing something for myself and trying to care for me.

Replies

• 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I find I feel better after a long workout- 45 min. or longer then a shorter hard workout. Most of my workouts are in the Morning, so I get them in before I deal with people, (I live alone) but on the days I work out after work, sometimes it's hard to go, I just want to go home and veg.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Exercise -> endorphin -> feel good.
  • moniemom
    moniemom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the responses/support!
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The only problem I have is that I loose count of reps because I don't concentrate as well. On those days I tend to do more timed things now (tabata style) using a free app on my phone or do 5 mins each on the rower, ski machine and cycle 10k with progressive resistance or something so it's not as important I concentrate. I usually feel better after a workout.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    No--just the opposite really.

When you are stressed out, a hard workout is the best thing that you can do.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    add me to the feels better after a workout. i swim and have been getting lessons because i am really bad at it, so it's become meditative in the sense that i absolutely cannot think about anything but breathing and my form otherwise i get really messed up. i have been a much calmer individual since september.
  • moniemom
    moniemom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m loving the responses! Thank you so much! Very helpful and some really great ideas!!
  • braveshine
    braveshine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I can agree that I feel much better after a workout. I mostly walk / sometimes jog, but I've also noticed that it's much more therapeutic for me when I workout outside as opposed to a treadmill at the gym. It feels like I'm pushing all the bad out, and good music makes all the difference!
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My gym time is when I can let go of all the drama in my life and focus on me. Then afterward, the endorphins make the world feel like a better place.