Question about Poop... yes, poop. Everybody poops!

Options
2»

Replies

• frg4bama
    frg4bama Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bananas can cause constipation. My daughter has problems with it too. If I were you, I would swap my daily banana for a pear for a week and see if it makes a difference. Also, have you spoken with a doc about IBS? Do you have any pain or do you feel bloated?
  • frg4bama
    frg4bama Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bananas can cause constipation. My daughter has problems with it too. If I were you, I would swap my daily banana for a pear for a week and see if it makes a difference. Also, have you spoken with a doc about IBS? Do you have any pain or do you feel bloated?
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Bananas can cause constipation. ...

This is one of the misunderstood subject by many people. ONLY unripe banana causing constipation, those super ripe ones have the completely opposite effect.

Read this article, "Do Bananas Cause Constipation?" - http://stoolhealth.com/do-bananas-cause-constipation/
    Here is a short quotes:

- "The paradox with bananas and constipation is that, banana can help relieve constipation and at the same it can be the cause of constipation."

- "Constipation is mainly caused by eating an unripe bananas. Unripe banana is hard for the body to digest. Chunks of the raw banana will cause blockage in the digestive tract. The blockage is what causes the discomfort associated with constipation."
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    What about yogurt or probiotics?
  • JenniCH
    JenniCH Posts: 74
    Options
    I have considered talking to my Dr. about IBS... guess I'll have to do that if nothing else works.

I'd say 1/2 the time I eat ripe bananas and the other 1/2 unripe so I'll cut out the unripe ones from now on... and I'll replace some of my other dinner foods with broccoli & beans :)
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    Eat more flax seed.

You know, I recently bought ground flax seed ... any idea what the ideal amount is in a day?

Not sure how much you should have. Flaxseeds are a a great source of fiber and work as a natural laxative. They are a great way to keep things regular. I did read the following on the mayo clinic website

"Although the Institute of Medicine has not set a recommended daily intake for omega-3 fatty acids, it has established adequate intake amounts of between 1.1 and 1.6 grams a day for adults. One tablespoon of ground flaxseed provides 1.6 grams of omega-3 fatty acids."

I eat a kashi bar every morning with almonds and flax seed. Oh I also read its best to drink alot of water before you eat your breakfast. It helps clear out all the toxic stuff in your body.
  • 3ball
    3ball Posts: 338
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks this is kind of hot? Yeah? Really?

KIDDING!!! :-D
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Adding some flaxseed meal into your diet is pretty easy, there are a lot of things you can add it to. I usually put in a tablespoon a day into my cereal, oatmeal, or yogurt
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Eat more flax seed.

You know, I recently bought ground flax seed ... any idea what the ideal amount is in a day?

Not sure how much you should have. Flaxseeds are a a great source of fiber and work as a natural laxative. They are a great way to keep things regular. I did read the following on the mayo clinic website

"Although the Institute of Medicine has not set a recommended daily intake for omega-3 fatty acids, it has established adequate intake amounts of between 1.1 and 1.6 grams a day for adults. One tablespoon of ground flaxseed provides 1.6 grams of omega-3 fatty acids."

I eat a kashi bar every morning with almonds and flax seed. Oh I also read its best to drink alot of water before you eat your breakfast. It helps clear out all the toxic stuff in your body.

Hmmm ... I do take an Omega3 supplement, can't remember how much is in that so I better look when I get home. I have been using 1 tsp in my steel cut oats in the am, but I was thinking that might not be enough ...
  • ohpurdysure
    Options
    Eat green at it in everyday- this can be hard to do but Im beting my money on the green stuff helping you out...
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Are you taking an iron supplement? That can sometimes happen if you get too much iron.

I was thinking the same thing. Too much iron can cause this.
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    Options
    Eat more flax seed.

Hmmm ... I do take an Omega3 supplement, can't remember how much is in that so I better look when I get home. I have been using 1 tsp in my steel cut oats in the am, but I was thinking that might not be enough ...

Well an Omega3 supplement will not provide the same benefits as in everything that flaxseed provides. That quote was just saying it also provides that much omege3 which also comes from fish. So another WONDERFUL reason we should all have alittle flaxseed in your diet. besides it also helps control estrogen lvls when your in menopause.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Here's some things to try:

1. Drink more water
    2. Eat more vegetables
    3. Try a probiotic.

Honestly though, I wouldn't worry too much about the texture. I have a wide variety of dumps, and I only treat constipation if I haven't gone in more than two days. I think by the third day I start hunting down some fiber and Miralax.