Drink Beer for the Calories?

Options
This might sound crazy, but I am wondering this:
If I am trying to eat my exercise calories earned, it seems like I can just drink beer. When I added it to my diary from the MFP database, it says it contains carbs but not much else. Red wine came up with similar numbers. Obviously I don't want to get drunk every night, and alcohol doesn't have any good nutrients, but could someone theoretically drink beer and wine often while not hindering your weight loss progress? Seems too good to be true. I've been trying to avoid drinking but it sort of seems like that's not really necessary as long as the numbers work out.
Or am I missing something?
Thanks

Replies

• zeus277
    zeus277 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I drink PLENTY of alcohol calories and I'm still losing weight..........so far.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It's far from ideal, but can be done. I'm living proof.
  • flbutler
    flbutler Posts: 26
    Options
    Good ? I would like to know as well! That has been the hardest thing for me to give up as I love to come home from work and have a nice cold beer and talk to my husband about the day on the patio.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It works for me :drinker:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    You could always opt for the lower calorie/carb beers, but if it all fits into your daily intake, it's all good. Keep in mind it could make you retain water more.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    its not good to do so.. infact you should eat your burnt cals at all.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Unless you're planning to give up alcohol for ever i don't see why not...I do!!:bigsmile:
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a martini many night s a week and have lost nearly all I set out to do here (20 pounds).

Cheers - you can only do what you make up your mind to do! :drinker:
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    mich ultra is low calorie :drinker:
  • SimplyFreckled
    SimplyFreckled Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I say go with the wine...... Its good for your heart!! *giggle*
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am not a daily drinker but love to have a few on the weekends and everytime I do I have gained weight. So now I only drink about once a month.
  • Sooznine
    Sooznine Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I drink beer and wine occasionally... work it into the calories allowed... and while it doesn't totally mess things up, it does tend to impede regular progress. We have a weekly outdoor market where we hang out with friends and drink several beers every friday. Before summer, my losses were quicker... since the summer markets... a little slower. I think a lot of it is retained water. So long story short (too late) i think it's ok, sometimes. I don't think it's practical (in my life) to cut it out entirely!
  • katesbeach
    katesbeach Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It doesn't help, but it hasn't hurt me yet! I drink a few times a week, usually beer or wine, and have been consistently losing. Obviously that's not the same for everybody, and maybe I'd lose faster if I cut it out, but I work at a bar and I love beer too much! I say drink in moderation if that's what you want, keep to your calories, and don't stress about it too much if it's not slowing you down or making you gain!

And I'm editing to add that Yuengling Light is surprisingly good for a light beer, and only 99 calories! Cheers!
  • shesnotthere
    Options
    Red wine actually does contain antioxidants. I drink, but to be honest? I lose weight faster when I am not drinking, even though I try to keep my alcohol calories within my daily calorie allowance. However, life is for living, drink up !
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation works for me - including alcohol.
    I don't drink it just to make up calories but I have a regular date with my husband at the pub so I will have one or two ciders then and sometimes a glass of wine during the week if I have the cals.
    Hasn't stopped me losing weight.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    When I've got the allowance, and the inclination, I have a good beer every now and then. My problem: beer goes with so many salty, crunchy indulgences.
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calories for the day it won't keep you from losing weight but I wouldn't replace too many food calories with alcohol too often.
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options

Thank you, those articles were helpful and make sense to me.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Well, I have a few drinks every weekend. It didn't do me any harm. If you have the calories free, I say go for it. :drinker: