Kettlebell - what weight do I start with

Options
Hey all,

So I know probably the best thing is to go to some gym and try them out, but I live in a tiny city in Asia and the local gyms don't have kettlebells. I did find a place online that I can order one but because of cost, etc, I need to onky do one at a time, so I can't get a selection. So is there any way to judge what weight I should go with? I read women should start with a minimum of 8kg and men 12. I also read going too light is bad because it's easier to mess up your form? I'd love if I could get something that my husband could make use of too but I'm not sure if it's realistic to think I could get maybe a 12 kg and be able to hack it. So, any advice / personal experience on this? Does how much you can swing correlate to any other typical barbell exercises? (I was doing a bit of SL a month back and so have an idea of what I can handle with some lifts)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's really difficult for someone to tell you what to start with. If you have any strength at all, a 12 kg kb shouldn't be that difficult to swing, but might be difficult to press and do others things. What all are you planning on doing with it? Make sure if you are swinging it, to use proper form, preferably get instruction from a certified instructor. KBS are a very butchered movement.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Start with as light as you have. You can always increase the weight if it is too light. Getting hurt with a weight that is too heavy is not a good way to start. Start light, perfect form, progress from there.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    As a general recommendation if you are female and would consider yourself average, I would reccomend an 8k, 12k, and a 16k as a starter set. If you believe you have a weak upper body, I would add a 6k to that for presses, cleans, and snatches. If you are coming back off an injury or have had a baby within the last year, I would recommend a 4k, 6k, and 8k.

When my husband and I started to build a home gym, we bought an 8k and a 12k. He started with the 12k and I used the 8k.

Stronglifts to Kettlebell comparisons: I did Starting Strength before switching to KB training full time. Here are my ending numbers along with comparable KB moves:
    Barbell deadlift 5 reps: 165lb
    Kettlebell deadlift 10 reps: 80lb (2 40lb bells)
    Kettlebell swings 10 reps 40lb
    Back Squat 5 reps: 115lb
    Goblet Squat 5 reps: 53lb
    OHP 3 reps: 83lb
    Kettlebell Press 8 reps: 12k or 25lb
    Keep in mind that the range of motion for the press is greater with KB than the barbell. I would recommend starting lighter than you think you should. As far as the swing is concerned, it is really its own animal. There is some correlation between the deadlift and the swing. Once you learn correct swing technique you should progress quickly if you have a strong deadlift.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Is there an adjustable kettlebell available from the site you're looking at? If so, that will give you a range of weights.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for the advice!

@MotherOfSharpei I didn't even know an adjustable kettlebell was a thing! Lol. I will take a look now. Sounds like a good idea.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the advice!

@MotherOfSharpei I didn't even know an adjustable kettlebell was a thing! Lol. I will take a look now. Sounds like a good idea.

Just bear in mind that if you go the adjustable route, look for one thats a normal kettlebell shape. Otherwise it will be awkward or potentially painful for snatches etc.