I need help!!

Options
Okay so I'm going to let the cat out of the bag and finally admit to myself and everyone else that I'm addicted to junk food. I don't know why I feel like I have to eat it but it's like I just can't stop. I've talked to my husband multiple times about the situation and he says it's all about the willpower which is exactly right, but I don't know how to stop. It gets very frusturating talking to him because he's never had a weight problem. I need to lose this weight because of serious health reasons but just can't seem to stop the junk eating habit. I would love some advice and motivation to get my *kitten* in gear. I NEED, I WANT, I'm DETERMINED to do this. I just don't know how to stop.

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    If you really want this, you will stop. First, get all the bad foods out of the house, i mean anything and everything that will tempt you to the dark side. and if you are out and want bad foods, ask yourself, how does this help my goal? how does this benefit my body? answer is: it doesnt. you only want to put nurturing nutritious foods into your body. think of this as a change of lifestyle - not a diet
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    agree with the above!!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Only you can control what goes into your mouth. The more junk you put in the more you will crave it. You just have to stop buying it and stop putting it in your mouth. It really is that simple. It is a choice and only you can make that choice for you.
    Good luck.
  • Joesay25
    Options
    well there is some junk food that is good for you try healty chips or special k bars there are good sun chips are good too they dont have that many calories in them
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    1. Stop buying it.

2. Inform yourself. Do some reading -- "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and "Fast Food Nation" are good places to start.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, its called "JUNK FOOD." Your body doesn't need any of it to survive. Just do it. Go cold turkey and you'll feel better in a day or two. Its just a habit, like anything else. Once you're off this rubbish, it will taste bad to you if you cave in and eat it anyway.
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    If you aren't really ready to change than you can't. I tried for a long time and never managed to change. What has helped me more than anything is not having it in the house. Sounds simple but it took me a long time to stop buying things I knew I didn't want to eat. I don't but any chips or processed snacks any more. I do snack, but not I eat things like fresh veggies/dip/hummus, nuts, trail mixes, air popped popcorn, apple with yogurt, carrots with cashew butter, etc.
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    What type of junk food, in particular, do you struggle with? Sometimes making a swap is the easiest thing. For instance, I am a chocoholic. I make no bones about it. Instead of abolishing it from my diet, I gave myself permission to include it every day. The catch is it has to be dark chocolate, and I can only have it at the end of the day. (sneak a peek at my food journal).

Controlling food intake can be very challenging, but with determination you can do it. Besides, by 'forbidding' a food group altogether, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Good luck, I am happy to help/support!
  • KrissyChefBaby
    KrissyChefBaby Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I pretty much admitted to being a french fry addict. But I avoided junk food for 2 weeks, and worked my butt off to do this thing right on MFP then on monday, I go out with my sister and she stops at Wendy's and offers to buy me something. I said no ( even though I was so very hungry) then waited to get home to make something I like there. You don't need that crap. It takes 2 seconds to drive past the fast food restaurant and months or YEARS to get rid of the side effect...What do you value more...your body or the value menu?

Just say no.
  • misha3000
    Options
    Hey, I can help you and so can your myfitnesspal. :smile:

All you have to do is watch your sugar intake and buy low fat snacks. Don't go over your sugar intake. Look at it as a cupcake is 600 calories or 5 pounds make yourself think that I dont want that because its going to make what im trying to lose harder.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Its all in your mind. Don't try to do it, just do it! Don't say to yourself I'm going to try to cut down on Junk Food, just say I'm not going to eat junk food again and act on it. It is really that easy.
    That's how I quit smoking one of the most powerful addicitons you can experience, so if it works there I'm pretty sure it works with crap food too.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    well there is some junk food that is good for you try healty chips or special k bars there are good sun chips are good too they dont have that many calories in them

i wouldnt reccomend special k bars they have no nutritional value, try to find yum things that are good for you.
    sweet tooth = fruit
    cruncy craving = nuts

switch to wholemeal/brown bread/pasta/rice and go easy on the processed foods
  • MNeuroth
    Options
    I've found the better, healthier I eat the less I crave junk food. In turn, the more junk food I eat, the more I want it. I set the goal of saying I'm going to cut out the junk for a week and eat better, fruits, vegetables, nuts, fresh meat, etc. A week is not that long. For me, by the end of the week, I don't care so much about eating the junk food. It's breaking the habit and the cycle. Cravings are something lacking in your nutrition, so if you can balance out what you eat, they should subside.
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know all too well what you mean about the junk food. There are certain junk food items that I can't be around because they are so tempting. There are a few suggestions I have:

1. I agree get the junk food out of the house. If you have to go to get it you are more likely not to eat it. If you have family members that want the junk food have them keep it in a secret stash not to be told to you. My husband has an addition to gummy bears. I tell him if he wants gummy bears don't let me see them. I had the same reaction when I was first diagnosed as a diabetic to Coke. I loved Coke and couldn't have it around me for the first year. This was before the new diet cokes out.

2. Find healthy alternatives. You will adjust to them in time. For example Sugar free jello is sweet and tastes great but only has like 5 calories and no sugar. If you add a spoonful of lite cool whip its soooo good your sweet tooth will be more than satisfied. Also fruit is a GREAT alternative because its sweet and the calories are not too high.

3. Work for the junk. If you find that you have to have something (especially when TOM comes to visit) know that you have to work for the calories. A piece of X is 300 calories .... burn 300 calories by doing exercise and you can have the treat. I'm not saying to have food as a reward but more of payment for your time. I know that this thought has stopped me early on from eating certain foods. It just wasn't worth the time I was going to have to spend burning it off. Remember you don't get the item until you've paid for it... no layaway plans... lol

4. Hot tea believe it or not helps me at night which happens to be my worse time of day. I'm not an emotional eater but I am a night time muncher. I usually will have my treat at night but only if I have enough calories left for it or have worked for it.

5. Surround yourself with good support. People who will say to you "step away from the donut" or "put down the candy bar". Love and support are huge when it comes to your new journey.

Feel free to add me!