New to MFP...body is in shock!

Options
Hi Everyone. I am a 37 (for a few more weeks) year old happily married mother of THE most gorgeous 3 year old daughter and 9 month old son. I have ALWAYS had a weight problem and I am currently at my highest weight ever. I have done EVERY diet you can think of and have consulted a gastic bypass surgeon. I am pretty good at everything I have ever tried but I can not overcome this weight demon! Today is day 2 on MFP and my body is in such shock. I did weight watchers so many times that I knew all the *tricks* and was able to eat quite a bit. The 1200 calorie limit is intense. I could use friends and support so feel free to friend me!! Thanks so much! ~~~Amy:ohwell:

Replies

• Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    Amy-Please hang in there. Believe me, the first week or so is the hardest. It gets easier as your body adjusts to it. Drink plenty of water. Also, feel free to eat PLENTY of fruits/vegetables. YOU CAN DO IT! There is tons of support here-you came to the right place!
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi. You will love this site once you get used to it. I am 36, however, I believe I have the most handsome boys, ages 2 and 4. I started at 1200 and was cranky, so upped it to 1300 and was much happier. Try not to set it for more than 1 pound per week, especially in the beginning. Also, make sure to eat back some/if not all of your exercise calories. I joined in January and have had great success.
    Will send along a friend request.
    Good luck.
    Angela
  • kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Welcome to a great site! :) Added.
  • deborahcotton
    Options
    welcome to mfp.....this is a great site i am enjoying a great deal....all of the people are very encouraging and supportive....wishing you luck in your efforts of losing weight....looking forward to hearing your progress...welcome aboard!!!!!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    You can still eat quite a bit for 1200 calories. I'm allowed 1500, but generally only eat 1200 NET each day. Veggies are my friend - spinach bulks up any meal. Eat lots of protein - that will keep you fuller for longer. And remember to eat your exercise calories - MFP already creates a deficit for you so when you exercise you need to eat it back to stay around the 1200 calories mark. It took me a couple of weeks to get my head around - but search the forums for things you're confused about, or post your own thread with questions.

Feel free to add me as a friend. It's a long road... we might as well have some people along the way!!
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    welcome
    I have been here for two months and just love it!
    feel free to add me:)
    good luck
  • plantgrrl
    plantgrrl Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi! Use he BMR calculator on the tools menu--then when you're on the home tab, click on "goals," then modify goals, then manual, change your calories goal to your BMR (this is the amount of calories your body would burn in a day if you just laid in bed all day). You need at least that many to keep your body from feeling like it's starving. That should help! :)

I did WW for a while too. It's like how they had you recalculate your "daily points" every 10 lbs.

:)

Welcome to MFP! We can do this together!
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi there....I am new (as of 8/1) to MFP.....but I am not new to "trying to get the extra pounds off".....!! Arrghhhhh.... I have been amazed at the encouragement that I have found here.....I really need a support group to do this. I too am at my highest weight. Dont be discouraged.....Together we can help each other through encouragement, support and lots of tips and suggestions :) Feel free to send me a friend request if you want...Good Luck!!!!!
  • shawnaha
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've been overweight since a young child. The best way for me to lose weight is counting calories because suddenly I am held responsible for everything I eat. I love this site because the forums are here and I get encouragement from my friends on here. I agree with another poster- eat back calories that you burn an try to find exercises you find fun. For me it's zumba and racquetball. Also, I have a smart phone and got the app. I love the app because I use it all the time. Good luck to you and I hope this works out for you.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason why you need to limit yourself to 1200 calories? If you are big enough to be considering gastric bypass, then maybe 1200 calories is a little too aggressive. Something to consider. Plus, like @kr3851 said, your target calorie allotment is NET calories, so for any exercise calories you burn, add that to your total calories.
  • Wfortner
    Wfortner Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you mentioned about the calories ...net calories...etc...I am still trying to wrap my brain around that 100%...
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm 37 and have also done WW and actually lost 30 pounds. I had to stop it though as I couldn't afford to do the online program anymore. Anywho..I came on here and am new to the calorie counting as well. I also am at 1200 cals. and am trying to adjust. It's difficult at first I think but then it should get easier once you know what to eat and the values. Please feel free to add me. I could use as much encouragement as I can get as well. :)
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. I'm not saying it's easy... but it gets easier. Once your body adjusts to the changes, it's hard to eat like you used to.

Tonight we went out to dinner. Normally I would've eaten my entire plate, but I could only eat half. I feel overstuffed with half... on the bright side, I get leftovers tomorrow. :)

Anyway, welcome. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I am a 36 year old mother of a 3 year old boy and 15 mo old daughter (both wonderful). This gets easier after the first few weeks. The first little bit I felt like I was starving, but it does get easier. Best of luck in your journey. I sent you a friend request.
  • tonymill
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to MFP, just starting today. I've tried every diet out there and nothing seems to help, for long. I've never been able to stick to a diet for longer than a few months. Once I hit those plateu's I easily cave. I need to see results weekly :smile: in order to stay true to the diet. I could use some words of wisdom. How do you keep yourself motivated?
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    welcome amy. u could do this!! just take it one day at a time
  • SunnyDispo619
    Options
    Welcome! Sent you an add...If 1200 is too difficult (i.e., you might give up...), try something higher and then work your way down to 1200. I found that baby steps was the way for me. Good luck!!! This site rocks, and there's lots of support.
  • onefatellaphant
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I'm fairly new myself (a little over a week), but you're absolutely right, having the support from friends really helps push through the hard days. Good luck with all your weight-loss endeavors!
  • MandyCanDo
    MandyCanDo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Welcome Amy! I am new to MFP also, just started on Tuesday. I have already found some very useful tools and some amazingly helpful friends with advice and support. I wish you success and remember one step (or pound) at a time:happy: