THE FATAL CHEEZ-ITS!

Options
CHEEZ-ITS! My favorite, and by far worst, indulgence. These past couple of days, I haven't been able to keep my hands off of them. Unfortunately, my mom buys them because it's my brother favorite snack, and somehow, even after eating well all day and exercising, I seem to consume a bowl of it by the end of the day. It is DEFINITELY not healthy, I'm sure, since it is loaded with excessive amounts of sodium. What kinds of healthy snacks do you recommend? Preferably something with a bit of a crunch to it. I just need to find something that will satisfy my taste for carbs, but be low in sodium, fat, etc. Any suggestions would be great!!

Replies

• BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am a big "crunch" addict (and I love Cheez-its too!) but I have white mountain kettle corn (I don't know if it is available outside of New England), but it's only 130 calories for 3 cups and it's pretty healthy and natural. Popcorn in general is a great alternative!
  • bode702
    bode702 Posts: 11
    Options
    orville redenbacher's smart pop mini bags. just 100 calories and really filling. i find it needs salt though, so that adds sodium...still, it's definitely healthier than cheez-its and it satisfies the snack craving.
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just glad to know I'm not the only one. They are my weakness! I don't keep them in the house but when offered them anywhere else, I can't stop until they're all gone. I wish they would just go away. Good luck.
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Wegman's Coco Multigrain Pop Cakes

16 calories each, not completely tasteless, but they have fiber, are crunchy and taste awesome!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I am a big "crunch" addict (and I love Cheez-its too!) but I have white mountain kettle corn (I don't know if it is available outside of New England), but it's only 130 calories for 3 cups and it's pretty healthy and natural. Popcorn in general is a great alternative!

I am a big fan of Cheez-Its and Chex Mix. I, too, have found popcorn to be a yummy alternative. For a while I bought reduced-fat cheez-its, but I am really trying to stay away from high sodium stuff and chemical-filled box foods. Popcorn is a much better snack :)
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Well there's always the reduced calorie version...I think you can have 29 crackers for 130 calories....Buy a box and measure the portions out. Hope that helps, good luck!!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I actually love eating Wheaties without milk. They're good for you and not too bad on the calories. And crunchy. And they're actually sweet, if you don't drown them in milk and give yourself time to actual savor the taste.
  • Dizneylvr1971
    Options
    I munch on either Rold Gold Thins or Herr's baked chips each night. They aren't that bad, both around 120 calories per serving. The sodium is probably high, but still better than Cheez Its.
  • mixmastermel_b
    mixmastermel_b Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    cheez-its are the DEVIL! love love so much. when i do splurge and get them i just make little baggies with the right portion size this way i'm not sitting there with the whole box.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i swear cheez-its are coated in crack.

try cheddar-flavored rice cakes. they're salty and crunchy and about 50 calories per cake.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    double post, sorry.
  • ebert5150
    ebert5150 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like pretzels but you still have to watch how many you eat. Also there are some non-fried potato snacks...can't remember the brand that are really good and satisfy my urge to eat crappy snack :-)
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    How about trying these without the additives, food coloring, and other bleah stuff:

http://www.thethinchef.com/homemade-cheez-its/
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    for crunch I love celery with alittle peanut butter and rasins on top (aka ants on a log) also do dryed cranberries every now and then in place of the rasins
    so good sweet and crunchy plus healthy all in one :)
  • midwesthiker
    Options
    I used to keep a box of them at my desk. Yum.

Anyway, now I keep Pepperidge Farms Baked Natural Cracker Chips. They have a cheddar one. They are a pretty good alternative.