mac & cheese is my weakness!

Options
ok - so i admit it, i am a mac & cheese fiend!! i'm doing ok with measuring and then as SOON as i'm done i have the dog "pre-wash" LOL! don't look at me like that! i scrub the plate and then make sure to steam the dishwasher. but that makes sure i can't go back for more.

does anyone know of a good mac & cheese that has a more healthy twist?

Replies

• Dizneylvr1971
    Options
    I get the Kraft blue box kind, but I make it with skim milk and only a tsp. of butter. It's still bad, but one serving is about 290 calories. Good for a fix now and then.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    OMG bump. I would HAPPILY live on mac and cheese (how I got to needing this site in the first place LOL) forever. I can't get enough of it!!!! I mean, I make an AMAZING mac and cheese, but it's certainly not low-cal. And the 'diet' stuff is pretty weak (lean cuisine, I'm looking at you!). I would love a relatively healthy (and not like, 'my mac and cheese is only 250 calories!.....per 1/4 cup) recipie, one that has a satisfying serving size and relatively low cal count.
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I go whole grain pasta and just enough light Velveeta to make the pasta sticky...I tell the kids (and myself ) it's white cheddar! Mind over matter!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    OMG bump. I would HAPPILY live on mac and cheese (how I got to needing this site in the first place LOL) forever. I can't get enough of it!!!! I mean, I make an AMAZING mac and cheese, but it's certainly not low-cal. And the 'diet' stuff is pretty weak (lean cuisine, I'm looking at you!). I would love a relatively healthy (and not like, 'my mac and cheese is only 250 calories!.....per 1/4 cup) recipie, one that has a satisfying serving size and relatively low cal count.

it's like you're reading my brain!
  • moriaht
    moriaht Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I was JUST thinking of making mac and cheese haha but I have been sitting here trying to think of something healthier to make. The other things that crossed my mind were grilled cheese and mr.noodles.... ya not good..
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I heated up skim milk with some butter(depends on how much you're making how much to use). I mix that in with the noddles(whole grain if you have it), Add sharp cheddar to mix in with a little lite sour cream and fresh scallions. Top with remaining cheese and bake.

For a single serving I use the serving size of everything with the exception of milk which I only use approx half a cup. And I just sprinkle a LITTLE cheese on top. So...
    1 Tbs lite butter
    2 TBs lite sour cream
    scallions to taste
    1 Serving of macaroni
    1/4 cup sharp cheddar-mix in and top with a sprinkle.

Melting the butter in the milk keeps me from using too much.

It's a little different, but it really helped my craving. The cheese and pasta still add calories, but much better than my norm,al way with eggs, tons of butter, tons of cheese, etc... You can play with that and let me know if it works for you
  • mindyydnim
    Options
    I've made it with whole wheat macaroni, and for the cheese sauce I made a bechamel with 1% milk (added to the rue which I still used butter and white flour in), then added reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar as well as adding canned pumpkin. You don't really taste the pumpkin, and it adds color and nutrients. Using sharp cheddar keeps it tasting cheesy, and making a low-fat bechamel keeps it creamy.
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    i make a squash mac and cheese thats to die for...and since its homemade u can play with it to make it lower cal....
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    i make a squash mac and cheese thats to die for...and since its homemade u can play with it to make it lower cal....

Recipe???
  • Christa4335
    Christa4335 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You could also try it with Brown Rice Pasta. Use regular Velveeta but just portion it out and not eat the whole pot of it :)
  • maab_connor
    Options

Recipe???
    agreed, can you share the recipe?
  • maab_connor
    Options
    I heated up skim milk with some butter(depends on how much you're making how much to use). I mix that in with the noddles(whole grain if you have it), Add sharp cheddar to mix in with a little lite sour cream and fresh scallions. Top with remaining cheese and bake.

For a single serving I use the serving size of everything with the exception of milk which I only use approx half a cup. And I just sprinkle a LITTLE cheese on top. So...
    1 Tbs lite butter
    2 TBs lite sour cream
    scallions to taste
    1 Serving of macaroni
    1/4 cup sharp cheddar-mix in and top with a sprinkle.

Melting the butter in the milk keeps me from using too much.

It's a little different, but it really helped my craving. The cheese and pasta still add calories, but much better than my norm,al way with eggs, tons of butter, tons of cheese, etc... You can play with that and let me know if it works for you
    so... it sounds like the lite sour cream would keep that mac & cheese-yness. i'm gonna try this next time! thank you!
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    sorry about the delay...had to get outta the tub and find it....its from pampered chef

16 oz uncooked shell pasta
    1pkg frozen butternut squash thawed ( i used fresh that i purred)
    1 can evaporated milk ( 12 oz)
    2 cups shredded six blend italian cheese
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

cook pasta to pkg directions....save 1/4 cup of the water for later use
    for sauce place squash into saucepan and gradually add milk. whisking constantly . cook over medium high heat 3-4 mins or until mixture begins to simmer. reduce heat to medium. add cheese whisking constantly 3-4 min or until cheese is fully melted and mixture returns to a simmer whisking constantly. add salt nutmeg and reserved cooking water stir until smooth. mix sauce with pasta .

if made to recipe its 500 cal per serving ( 6 servings) 14g total fat 8g saturated . cholesterol 45mg carbs 68 protein 24 sodium 520 and fiber 3

but you can play around to make it healthier...ie whole wheat pasta. skim canned milk. and low fat cheese
  • nb9251
    nb9251 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    sorry about the delay...had to get outta the tub and find it....its from pampered chef

1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

for sauce place squash into saucepan and gradually add milk. whisking constantly . cook over medium high heat 3-4 mins or until mixture begins to simmer. reduce heat to medium. add cheese whisking constantly 3-4 min or until cheese is fully melted and mixture returns to a simmer whisking constantly. add salt nutmeg and reserved cooking water stir until smooth. mix sauce with pasta .

if made to recipe its 500 cal per serving ( 6 servings) 14g total fat 8g saturated . cholesterol 45mg carbs 68 protein 24 sodium 520 and fiber 3

but you can play around to make it healthier...ie whole wheat pasta. skim canned milk. and low fat cheese

OMG. This sounds so good. I have just realized that Iove butternut squash. I'm gonna try this really soon! Thanks!
  • maab_connor
    Options

1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg

thank you! *is sheepish to have gotten you out of the bath*
  • valerieheat
    Options
    You're so lucky its just mac 'and' cheese, my weakness is the AND...I want to keep eating AND eating AND eating AND eating........ :laugh:
  • momma_roo
    momma_roo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl has a great recipe that I love! we add grilled chicken to make it a whole meal. it's 222 calories for a heaping cup without the chicken!! Yummy!!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/comfortably-yum-too-ez-mac-n-cheese-recipe
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    mac and cheese is my favorite food and I will NEVER EVER EVER stop eating the blue box! I always make it the light prep way and only ever have 1 serving now and then load up the rest of my plate with lots and lots of VEGGIES!!

I used to eat the whole box in one sitting.. now I know I can curb the mac and cheese craving with just the one serving.

Sorry but I will NEVER stop eating kraft mac and cheese. In fact, I might make some for tonights dinner and I'll pair it with zuchinni, broccoli, and string beans... mmmm :)

PS. Hungry Girl mac and cheese is DELICIOUS. I would also love to try the whole wheat pasta w a little bit of the velveeta! mmm :)
  • liveonlocation
    liveonlocation Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I searched this instead of making my own thread.

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! KRAFT DINNER HAS A LOT OF CALORIES!!!

I just had a tiny bowl from the pot I made for the kids, and then I went to look it up to log it, I just had 400 cals for a tiny bowl. I never knew. I guess I was just playing dumb by not looking at the box while cooking it, sort of in auto pilot when I make it.

Guess I know for next time.

Time to go make a salad.