Eating before exercise - differences in choices..

Options
Hello all,

I am just starting to ensure I fuel up before workouts. I was working out in the early am. like first thing, I am going to get back to that next week..

So hereare my questions:

What do you eat to fuel up?

Is there a difference in your choice on weight lifting days versus cardio days?

I have thought of popping a couple of almonds and off I go,.. or a protein shake.. or a spoonful of nutbutter.. Maybe an apple?

I appreciate you sharing what you choose.

Will you share your motivations for your choices? Weightloss, bulking, maintaining.
How long you have been doing what you are doing and how it has worked for you...
How much you have lost...

Any experiences, knowledge, opinions are welcome.

Thank you!

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I eat Greek yogurt with fruit and high fiber cereal before working out.
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    i try to eat something small but still somewhat substantial, like an apple or protein bar. my motivation is that without eating i feel weak, but if i eat something big ill get sick
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you're talking about eating before an early morning workout? The best thing to eat would be complex carbs like steel cut oatmeal, but that is pretty heavy if you're trying to do this first thing in the morning. If you are able to eat breakfast and wait long enough for it to digest before working out, something like steel cut oatmeal or another complex carb like it would be ideal fuel. If not, some protein like a couple hard boiled eggs would be good. Sometimes a protein shake is a lot of liquid sloshing around if you're trying to go right after eating.

Edit - motivation is purely fuel. Adding cinnamon and agave syrup makes the oatmeal entirely palateable, but it would be my choice if I was eating it for taste. "Fat burns in the flame of complex carbs" is the mantra I was taught by my nutritionist, hence why I eat the oatmeal before my major cardio workouts. Trying to workout on a mostly or completely empty stomach results in my feeling weak and not getting in as good a workout....and that's just a waste of time.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    carbs for energy before, protein for recovery after. unless you do early morning cardio when it's perfectly fine to do it on an empty stomach. if you can't do that then have a piece of fruit and the rest of your breakfast after.
  • dawnw30
    dawnw30 Posts: 270
    Options
    I know I'll get yelled at by someone but I can not eat at all before I exercise - or even drink. It makes me ill. I always just get up and do my elliptical workout and as soon as I am done I get a large drink of water and then my breakfast. Don't know why, but if I eat first I hurl. :blushing:
  • jocelynna
    jocelynna Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually opt for a nutrition bar. Generally I stick to protein bars, but am going to make the switch to high fiber/protein bars. Previous to MFP, I lost 20 lbs. and am just getting back into it, so I am still trying to figure what works best for me this time around :)
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I know I'll get yelled at by someone but I can not eat at all before I exercise - or even drink. It makes me ill. I always just get up and do my elliptical workout and as soon as I am done I get a large drink of water and then my breakfast. Don't know why, but if I eat first I hurl. :blushing:

me too. i cant eat at least two hours before exercising. And fasted exercise (exercising on an empty stomach in the morning) is more and more endorsed by trainers. some studies have shown that it burns more fat since after fasting all night your body has used up its glycogen supplies so it immediately turns to burning fat rather than the sugar stored in your system. Nothing wrong with what you're doing at all
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    carbs for energy before, protein for recovery after. unless you do early morning cardio when it's perfectly fine to do it on an empty stomach. if you can't do that then have a piece of fruit and the rest of your breakfast after.

Yes, I have been doing it on an empty stomach as that was the advice 10+ years ago. New studies indicate one can lose lean body mass by doing so. It also indicates you don't burn more fat doing so and most end up burning less calories because they are running on empty...

I was shocked to get this new info but it makes sense.. On days I had a big burn I was exhausted and it last all day... So this new information has me changing things up. The last thing I need is to burn up muscle..

thank you for your reply. I may do something like that. = )
  • texasrebel83
    texasrebel83 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I typically eat a banana and a tablespoon of sunbutter. It hits carbs, protein, and fat, I stay full through a 2 hour workout with no problem. I do start feeling hungry on the way home so I tend to eat a protein bar or shake once I get home.
  • kochany
    kochany Posts: 32
    Options
    That's a fine line to walk. If you dont get it right you'll lose muscle instead of fat. If you under eat your body will burn muscle first because its easier to tap in to than fat. Its a game of timing when and what. Do it right and you'll get awesome results, do it wrong and you'll sabotage your self.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat half a banana. I read simple carbs will enter your blood stream quickly. I work out in my basement so it's about 10 minutes between waking and starting.
  • StaceyL76
    Options
    I typically eat a banana and a tablespoon of sunbutter. It hits carbs, protein, and fat, I stay full through a 2 hour workout with no problem. I do start feeling hungry on the way home so I tend to eat a protein bar or shake once I get home.

Awesome, thank you for your reply.
  • StaceyL76
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's response to this. Thank you for taking the time out to share with me your knowledge and experiences.