Water vs coffee

Options
Do you count coffee with your water intake?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I don't count my water intake.. But if I did, coffee would count.

Same here.
  • SteamPug
    SteamPug Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    No, I only count water
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I've always thought it was odd that I would want to count water, but that's probably because I've never a problem getting enough. If I was struggling consistently with getting enough, then I would certain count coffee as it practically all water.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I informally count it (I'm horrible at remembering to drink enough fluids), and I definitely count coffee. It doesn't have enough of a dehydrating effect to *not* be counted.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's like a battle between bunnies and kittens. Why choose? Enjoy both. Coffee also has caffeine. Both hydrate.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/caffeinated-drinks/faq-20057965
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I count it when I do count water.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as water. I do log in the calories from the half & half I add to it, though.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I don't count it as water. I do log in the calories from the half & half I add to it, though.

What if you had a short macchiato, then had a glass of water separately? Would you not count the water as water?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't count water just watch my pee color.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't count water intake. If you are asking whether you should count coffee, that depends on why you are counting water to begin with. Just remember that your body would respond the same way if you drink coffee or if you drank water and then ate some instant coffee crystals afterwards.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I drink a pint of coffee a day and it counts as a pint of water to me.
    I count my water because if I didn't I would just not drink at all ( except for my morning coffee) and after 2 kidney infections and 1 one kidney stone I have painfully learned the consequences.
  • Jackibrazil
    Jackibrazil Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't count water. My issue with water tends to lean on the side of getting too much of it. I've been hospitalized for it before! If anything I'd count water to limit it!
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count coffee as water except to be more precise on what you should weigh (if you weigh before using the restroom). That's for me. My reasoning is that the caffeine has a diuretic effect for a lot of people, myself included.

How much coffee is in your brew and how sensitive you are to caffeine can make a difference, but if you drink something and a little while later you expel at least as much as you drank it voids itself out and then some.

I would say if it makes you go at least as much as you drink within a short time don't count it. If it doesn't affect you that way then count it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    I wouldn't count coffee as water except to be more precise on what you should weigh (if you weigh before using the restroom). That's for me. My reasoning is that the caffeine has a diuretic effect for a lot of people, myself included.

How much coffee is in your brew and how sensitive you are to caffeine can make a difference, but if you drink something and a little while later you expel at least as much as you drank it voids itself out and then some.

I would say if it makes you go at least as much as you drink within a short time don't count it. If it doesn't affect you that way then count it.

To the bolded.. This is what happens to me! A cup of coffee or tea pretty much goes in one end and comes straight out the other 5 minutes later. I have to stop drinking tea/coffee well before any outings or else i have to have too many pee stops. This does not happen when I'm drinking plain water.
    I just finished a 2.5L bottle of water and i haven't had to pee once, I would have already gone to the loo 3 or more times if i drank the equivalent amount of a caffeinated beverage.

Another piece of evidence in my situation is on the days i don't drink any plain water, just black coffee and tea (with milk), i feel it the next day with water retention in my calves, I also struggle with constipation on those days. So for me, No, coffee and or tea does not count as water.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I've never counted water...never saw the point. I drink plenty of water...coffee in the morning...usually a diet black cherry Fresca at lunch, etc...I stay hydrated and am not particularly worried about getting some specific, arbitrary amount of water in. Just stay hydrated.