What Do I do???

Options
So here's the thing

I have a really hard time falling asleep at night. The earliest i've gone to bed this week is after 3 am and one night I got no sleep at all. I know this must be having negative effects on my body NOT TO MENTION the hunger that hits that I have to avoid in the late night and the fact that it causes me to miss breakfast most mornings. I've tried turning off the tv and comp, i've tried working out before bed, tried soft music...

Me being awake that long after I stop feeding my body (8pm) can't be healthy plus it makes my workouts so much harder when I don't get enough sleep. It's just bad altogether.

What do I do?!!

Replies

• WWhitaker
    WWhitaker Posts: 309
    Options
    Xanax and a glass of wine. I'm serious. I have always had problems sleeping. I took some kind of prescribed sleeping aide as a teenager and quit taking it for years and told myself I'd never take them again, but here in the last couple months, I'll take one every couple of nights and it shuts my brain up and I pass smooth out. Make an appointment with your doctor to discuss some options. Good luck :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Reading puts me to sleep. or A glass of warm milk. or Two advil. or Lay on your back flat in bed, and relax each tendon in your body starting with your toes-relax, your feet-relax, your ankles-relax, your calves-relax, all they way to the top of your head. Also, eat something with either protein or fiber before bed (no carbs) so you can stay full longer. Just thoughts. Good luck - sorry you are gonig through this.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I know some people may not like this, but I LOVE motion sickness pills! They knock me out so that I can fall asleep. They're non-addictive (from what I understand), and the make me SOOO sleepy!
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Do you know what is keeping you awake? I understand not sleeping, I have that same problem. When I stop moving, my mind tends to go over all the things I keep too busy to think about during the day - things I'd rather not think about :( Doc has me on Trazodone which usually puts me out and is a mild antidepressant, it does the trick for me.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    How much caffeine do you typically drink? Caffeine is a stimulant that blocks a calming chemical called adenosine in our brains. If you drink a lot of caffeine, that could be causing part of the problem.
  • KrissyChefBaby
    KrissyChefBaby Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks all of you. I'm gonna try everything until one works. I have always been a bad sleeper. I mean I go to culinary school, class starts at 7 am so i'm usually up by 5:30 or 6 am...so why did I spen over half of my first year going to bed at crazy hours like 4 am?? its not normal
  • KrissyChefBaby
    KrissyChefBaby Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have had 1 cup of coffee so far this summer and my green tea is caffeine free I believe but I just started drinking that again..when i try to relax my brain or if i try to focus on one calming thought.then my mind lashes out gets crazy active.
  • fndlane
    fndlane Posts: 3
    Options
    My husband takes Melatonin every night. It is an herbal supplement over the counter, but was advised by a doctor who took it himself.
    Cheap, safe and works pretty well.
    But I agree you should talk to your doctor as there might be an underlying problem.
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Lavender oil on pillow, read a book, camomile tea and don't work out late, always keeps me awake. Having said all this I take sleeping pills.
  • suncat
    suncat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I can't get to sleep, or if I wake during the night, I listen to stories and podcasts on my iPod. A few other things - I make sure I have bright sunlight first thing in the morning and spend some time outdoors every day. I make sure my room is as totally dark as I can make it - blackout blinds, cover clock and other lights, etc - and have my iPod set so I don't have that bright light shining in my eyes.
  • slimndownat48
    slimndownat48 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    HiYa..when I have sleepless nights usually a 1/4 gravol will help without giving me that "hangover" feeling in the morning.
  • jamesdelong
    jamesdelong Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I used to take naps when I got home and now even though I am tired I skip the nap and do something else. Also, I get up earlier even if I'm not working out just so that I can be tired at night around 10-11pm. I also make sure my room is dark and cool.
  • jillbo90
    Options
    I have had the same problem for sometime. I am taking trazadone at night and welbutrine and prozac for depression. When I lay down my brain just goes to work worrying about everything. I found that I was waking at night and eating, sometimes I would remember doing it most nights I dont. (very frustrating when trying to lose weight) trazadone is wonderful in helping me sleep. Good Luck