Breaking the Regain Cycle

Options
Apparently I'm a slow learner because I have had to re-learn the same lesson many times over my life. I have been living this pattern over and over since I was perhaps 20:

1) Get frustrated because my weight increases and hits a point where I don't feel good about how I look or in my body ... that's generally when I'm approaching the "overweight" category.

2) Spend months, sometimes years, complaining about feeling fat and not loving how I look. I'll try every trick in the book that has been shown to help someone lose weight (What if I cut out snacks?, What if I start every lunch and dinner with soup?, What if I cut bread out of my diet? What if I try to exercise a little more? What if I read every book about intuitive eating? What if I try to avoid sugar completely?) I do all of those in rotation and naturally none of them sticks and naturally none of them helps me lose much or any weight. I look in horror at my weight chart which shows a slow and steady incline over the past months or years.

3) Eventually I realize that if I don't want to be overweight, I'm going to have to buckle down and do something about it. I recognize that counting calories has been the only way I've lost weight in the past. For some reason, I'm really resistant to doing that again. It seems like a lot of work. I've spent months and months (sometimes years) avoiding doing that.

4) Finally, I realize I want to feel happy in my body and like how I look, so I decide to just do it. I start logging in MyFitnessPal. I pick an easy goal like 1/2 lb a week because I'm sure it will be super hard to stick to that.

5) The first day or two is kinda hard. I realize I've been eating a lot of calories in things that I don't really care about, and I eliminate them or switch them for low cal versions.

6) After a couple days, it starts feeling pretty easy. I feel good eating lighter. I enjoy the process.

7) A week later, I've lost some weight. It feels like magic. I feel great. I like the food I'm eating, I like being a little hungry for a meal because it tastes so good.

8) I feel like an idiot for waiting so long to track calories. Why am I so resistant? Why does it feel like magic when I track what I'm eating and eat fewer calories than I burn and lose weight?

9) Months go by and I steadily lose and approach my ideal weight.

10) Something happens. Usually it's travel - travel messes up my low cal eating plans royally. Once it was an injury that reduced my exercise.

11) There's a period where I find it impossible to stay anywhere near my calorie goal. I'm overeating most days! It feels really hard to control.

12) It seems pointless to continue tracking because tracking doesn't work if you don't stick to a calorie goal. I stop out of frustration. The last time this happened was last September. I had been tracking every calorie consistently for nine months. Then I went off the rails.

13) I start gaining weight, slowly but surely. Process repeats.

So, I hit step 4 last week and started tracking, and - ta da! - I'm down a pound or two this week. Like magic. Why do I never learn this lesson? What is the key to breaking this cycle? Why don't I ever learn?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    It seems to me like you don't really have a problem with eating less (you find practical, enjoyable solutions that are easy to stick to under "normal" circumstances).

But it also seems like calorie counting doesn't work in your real life (which includes traveling - not being able to weigh/social eating/food made by others?), and that you rely on exercise too much in your calorie budget.

My suggestion would be to get in a meal schedule and a habit of eating reasonably sized and balanced meals at regular intervals (and not eat between meals), and walk everywhere, whenever practically possible. (What I do, incidentally :D )
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    All I can say is "me too."

This year, I'm experimenting with maintaining as though I'm on a diet (logging daily). I want to remain at my goal weight on Jan 1 so that my new year's resolution can be something other than losing weight. It's been somewhat of a roller coaster year in general, so we'll see if I can do it. (I'm very close right now.)

Anyway, I found that I had to give up something to stop gaining weight. That thing turned out to be beer and wine.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I think what you describe is very common. I am in the same boat. **this time** will be different tho. I began my focus on maintaining a lot earlier in the process. I am on week 10 maintenance now. The key for me was to just treat it like dieting (which we are good at, right?) and slowly add more calories week to week or every other week depending on how I felt. Continued daily weighing and tracking.

In some ways we are like alcoholics or drug addicts in that we can't just pretend we are "normal" whatever that is and go back to the old ways. If we want to succeed I really believe we might have to weigh and log the rest of our lives. For me the trade off is worth it. Others find it too restrictive.

This is the first time in my life I have ever lost the weight I wanted AND not ended with binge upon binge. I attribute that to setting an initial goal which left me room to lose a little more, and then slowly increasing calories as well as not really restricting from things I like. I do have to keep some things out of the house or only keep what I plan to use in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck. Of course no one thing works for everyone but hang out here in maintenance and read. that's what I have been doing even while still losing.
  • achagpar
    achagpar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yup... me too. Was down at goal. Even a bit below goal. Then travel happens, you overeat, it’s hard to log, you can’t make it to the gym and now am over goal, feeling full, bloated, lazy and miserable. Time to hit the reset button ... but travel kills me every time...
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    What I've done is to keep logging during my workweek, aiming for a small 0.5 lb/week-sized deficit. It's easy then. My work days are very structured and it's easy to control the amount of food I eat. That allows me to forget about logging on the weekends, so if I'm eating out or doing something else fun I don't need to worry about keeping track.

It's worked so far. Recently my "centerpoint" has gone up about 3 lbs, but this has coincided with me beginning some weight training, so it's neither unexpected nor undesirable.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    When you have travels/holidays/any celebrations, make a conscious decision not to eat at a deficit, but at maintenance. Basically, take a diet break, it works for me. When the period is over, get back to deficit.
  • HappyGrape
    HappyGrape Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I figured maintenance for me is 10 pounds range, and most of the time I am in the middle. I have resigned to the fact that I need to keep an eye on it and as you, travelling is where things get hard.

What I am going to say is that it's worth it and most people had number of attempts to achieve their goals (weight related and not) but it's important to stay on top of it and take any lessons we need to learn from past mistakes.