Low calorie rice alternatives?

Options
FK1983
FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
Hey all!

Now I do love rice, I have it a lot but I know its not that great for you (not saying its bad but it is full of carbs which i'm not that keen on) so was wondering if there are any alternatives to rice (white rice ideally) which is lower calories?

Replies

• supermum123
    Options
    I think basmati rice is lower in calories and has a low GI as well
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Brown rice is more complex and better for you then white. You could also try quinoa which is a softer texture and full of protein.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Even lower in calories, although a different texture, is chipped and chopped cauliflower. I use it in all my low carb recipes that call for rice!
  • spyro88
    spyro88 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I don't think rice is that bad for you really... it's probably better than having e.g. potatoes all the time. The only alternatives I can think of are brown rice or cous cous.
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Even lower in calories, although a different texture, is chipped and chopped cauliflower. I use it in all my low carb recipes that call for rice!

really like this i might try this next time
  • FK1983
    Options
    Brown rice is more complex and better for you then white. You could also try quinoa which is a softer texture and full of protein.
    I know but I can't stand brown rice! yuk!
  • luvgreen25
    luvgreen25 Posts: 202
    Options

I'm going to have to try that. I've had mashed cauliflower (in place of mashed potatoes) before, but never thought of using it as a substitute to rice. Thank you.
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    I often use cous cous instead of rice :)

You can also cook brown rice in some chicken stock, or some spices, to add a bit of flavour :)
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I love this. I put cauliflower in the chopper then microwave it for 4 minutes. It's more of a couscous texture but it's a really good alternative.
  • FK1983
    Options
    I've been comparing calorie content from white rice and brown rice and there really doesn't seem much in it at all unless i'm missing something? the brown rice has lower carbs but not by a huge amount, fat is actually higher in some brown rice?

Me = confused!
  • FitnActiveMom
    Options
    I actually throw canned diced tomatoes(italian or mexican flavor) depending on the meal. Or throw rosemary and garlic in it and brown the rice in cooking spray before adding water. Makes and herbed rice. Another alternative is polenta. Really yummy. Trader Joes has a good frozen version with spinach or you can buy it at the store in the pasta section. Usually comes in a sausage type looking roll. Its yellow. Hope this helps :)
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I buy camargue red rice, or wild rice.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Try frozen whole grain brown rice (Steamfresh or Trader Joe's brands are what I use). 1 cup is around 150 calories--that's a lot of rice!
  • abzbargs
    abzbargs Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I make a lovely pearl barley chicken and mushroom risotto. Pearl barley is very low gi fills you up too.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This sounds crazy, but cauliflower rice has become popular. Here's a link:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbsidedishes/r/caulirice.htm

I'm sure you could use a potato ricer instead of the food processor.

If you're looking for grains, stick to brown rice and just eat less of it. OR eat quinoa or whole wheat couscous. Wheat berries are delicious, too. If you have a gluten issue, then I think you can use spelt berries instead.

To bulk up the rice, using less of it but making the volume greater, I'll usually add frozen spinach to it or lots of other veggies-- greens (like kale) are GREAT for this.

Good luck! :D
  • janitsio
    Options
    Rice noodles - Pad Thai Noodles are made from rice and have zero fat. They are excellent and can be used in place of pasta or rice.
  • PinkZeppelin
    Options
    I've been comparing calorie content from white rice and brown rice and there really doesn't seem much in it at all unless i'm missing something? the brown rice has lower carbs but not by a huge amount, fat is actually higher in some brown rice?

Me = confused!

Not all calories are created equal. Differences would come in the form of better type of fats, or more vitamins and minerals. Or even to the way one digests in your system and interacts with the rest of your body.

Edit: This applies to any food, not just rice. Calories is not the only thing to look for.
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i might try cauliflower chopped up into little pieces and i might also try cous cous and what ever else is near the rice in the supermarket and see how many calories they all have.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Miracle Rice
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is lower calorie, but it has more bang for its buck... quinoa. It is complete protein, so I go to that instead of rice usually.