I don't know what I'm doing wrong..

BrittanyLynne21
BrittanyLynne21 Posts: 66 Member
I've been trying to lose weight now for a year. I started out doing real well in the beginning. I ended up losing 20 pounds in the first 4 months. But the last couple of months It's completely stopped. I have no Idea what I'm doing wrong. I eat about 1,400 calories and work out everyday. I even started working out twice a day now and its like my body thinks I'm at my goal weight and doesn't want to lose no matter what I do. I don't want to give up but it's very hard not to when its been months sense I've really lost anything (but i also haven't gained so that's a blessing) but it's still very VERY frustrating. Plus its very important to me that I do lose this weight because my dad has diabetes and so does my mother. So i Have a huge chance of getting it and I really want to get down to a healthier wait so I have a lower my chance of getting it. PLEASE if anyone has been in my shoes before and know what I should do please help!! I'm not sure if I should I fast or do a liquid diet a couple of days or eat more and work out more. I don't know what to do anymore =/ but I need something. Thanks guys! =]

Replies

• CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Are you working out twice a day and still only eating 1400?

DO NOT DO A LIQUID DIET OR FAST.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    You might want to open up your food diary so that people can help make suggestions. I personally do not think it's wise to fast or do other temporary actions just to see temporary weight loss. You might just need to tweak your foods a bit!
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    I'm no expert and I'm new. But how about making your diary viewable so that people can give you real advice?

I think people are gonna say "eat your exercise calories," but more details might help.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Please whatever you do-don't fast or do a liquid diet. I would love to hear what you are doing to workout and what you have been doing from the beginning-if it has changed at all? What is your diet like? What kinds of foods are you using to fuel your body? Please message me-I would LOVE to help you.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Yea without seeing your diary its hard to say, but it sounds like you might not be eating enough...
  • If you have been eating the same number of calories everyday, and doing the same work out routine, then your body has most likely adjusted to what you are doing. What you might want to do is change your workout routine and increase your calories by 200-300 a day for about a month, and then go back to what you were doing.
  • :smile: Hi I think that you should alter your calorie count some days. Your body is used to the amount you are eating and kind of adjusted your metabolism to help you "survive".
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    You probably need to eat more, I know its odd and scary, but seems to work when I get stuck.
  • crazy4flyers
    crazy4flyers Posts: 5 Member
    I was just reading a Jillian Michaels interview the other day and this is what she had to say about it:

"When you lose weight, at a certain point your body produces hormones that cause you to hold on to the weight. What you need to do is rest for several days (i.e. not exercise) and up your calorie consumption by 10%. This will give your metabolism a boost and you will start losing again.

Note that this is the opposite of our natural inclination -- exercise more and eat less. And of course, more fun."

This isn't the first time I have come across this advice but her interview was fresh in my mind. Sometimes changing up your workout routines will help break through a plateau as well. Your body gets used to the same old thing and needs a change. Good luck! Keep at it and you'll get to where you want to be!
  • chefjj
    chefjj Posts: 2
    You might actually need to take in some more calories. Give your body fuel to burn, not store it.
    Getting enough sleep?
    I was stalled for a while ( before joining this site ). I did some reading on it....I wasn't eating enough. Upped my calories and started loosing weight!
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Viewable diary - or asking these questions is pretty much asking for the answer without knowing the question.
  • nsgutie
    nsgutie Posts: 1
    Don't give up your doing great, I think what happened is that your body has now adjusted and this is the new norm. Don't eat less just eat healthier, also your workouts just push yourself a little more but don't over do it. Like if your running 2 miles a day try to do 3 miles same w/ weights if your doing 4 sets of 10, do 4 sets of 12. Just push your self a little bit more. Plus the more muscle you have the faster it helps you burn fat.
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    As counter-intuitive and scary as it sounds, you may need to eat more. If you're working out a lot and only eating 1400 calories, your net calories could be so low that your body is afraid that it is starving and is therefore holding onto the weight. I did a quick search on the forum and found this explanation below. I remember seeing more good posts, maybe you can find them with some searches.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/302589-eat-more-to-lose-more-explained?hl=eating+more

Good luck :)
  • Rosymb
    Rosymb Posts: 1
    You may want to add weight/resistance training 2-3 times each week if you are only doing cardio or it may be time to change the exercises that you're doing. Our bodies get used to a certain exercise and you will stop losing. Interval training is also a great way to jumpstart your weightloss. I just found out about this sight after stalling with Weight Watchers. Hang in there!!!
This discussion has been closed.