"Benched" by an Injury -- Lower Calories??

Options
TinaDay1114
TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
I've been training for a 1/2 marathon for the last month or so, and just found out I have a stress fracture in my heel. I've already cut way down on my workouts for the past 2 weeks because I was in so much pain, and I haven't been running at all. Today I was told that I'm pretty much "benched" for the next 2 weeks -- only upper body work , if any exercise at all.

So what should I do with my daily calories??
I just changed my diary settings last week to 1/2 lb. loss/week b/c I was close to my goal weight.
My calories per day went up by about 275-300, and I always eat back my exercise calories.
But now that I've been pretty much "benched" for the past week, and for the next few weeks at least, what should I do?

Should I set my diary to "sedentary" and no workouts per week to take the calories back down to what I started out with originally (and no exercise calories to eat back)?

Replies

• Beaukitty
    Beaukitty Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You don't have to change your workout plan because it doesn't effect your calorie count until you actually log the workout. I think you've gotten yourself to a point where you don't have to change anything just because of a temporary injury. I know you run around at work enough to burn off some calories so don't touch anything!!! Just watch the cowtales! :wink: This 2 or 3 weeks aren't going to kill your achievements thus far...
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Really-only upper body. You could go to swimming-I know it is a completely different training style. Is it your Calcaneus? I would think you could still do things like the leg lift machine or things like that!?!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    ya know some of my friends here and I started MFP with injuries and couldn't do much. :huh: And, yeah, what I did was set it to sedentary because I'm at my computer most of the day anyway except for workouts and housework (laundry).:laugh:

Whatever I did for working out( which was light at first), I wore my HRM and logged it. One of my friends did arm movements sitting in her chair because of a heel injury, she logged some pretty good cal burns and got her heart rate up I am proud to tell.

So, maybe keep your 1/2 pound per week and explore some new alternatives to "working out"......:glasses: try it for a bit and see what happens.

Best of Luck and I think you'll be just fine....I mean afterall, training for a marathon show you've got inner strength to deal with this too!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    One of my friends did arm movements sitting in her chair because of a heel injury, she logged some pretty good cal burns and got her heart rate up I am proud to tell.
    Best of Luck and I think you'll be just fine....I mean afterall, training for a marathon show you've got inner strength to deal with this too!

THANK YOU for this. Good advice, and such a sweet thing to say -- thanks for the boost!

And Beaukitty, I love you. :flowerforyou: Can't wait until you're working "days" again so we can hang more. *hugs*