Is it possible to exercise too much?

Options
I make sure I exercise everyday, usually after breakfast, for 30 minutes. Then, I go through the day, and make sure I fit in some kind of exercise after dinner if I hadn't exercised during the day (swimming, walking the dog, etc.) I usually burn 300 calories after breakfast, and then 250-300 after dinner. Is this too much everyday with only one day of rest? (Sunday).

If you take my food diary into consideration, please try not to criticize my low-calorie intake... I'm aware of it, and I'm trying to work on it. It's not easy going from lower to higher quickly. (Over the summer, I've a lot of much time on my hands to plan low calorie meals... when I go back to school, I'll have less time to plan, more active, etc.)

Thanks!

Replies

• 4himalone
    Options
    bump...would love to know the answer to this question also!
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't personally think it is too much. I do cardio twice a day at 60 minutes each time. The past few days I have actually been able to fit a 3rd 60 minute weight training routine. As long as you eat enough calories for the exercise that you should be fine.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Well there is certainly such a thing as overtraining, but I am not sure where the line is to be drawn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overtraining
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    That doesn't sound like too much working out to me. It is possible, you can have burnout. Depending on aerobic or anaerobic workout the symptoms are different, but you would start lacking the desire to work out. You would have a hard time sleeping. Trust me I do more that that in one workout and my body is sore every day. I try and get in a good rest day, but it doesn't sound like you are doing anything too strenuous. I think you are ok!!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Too much exercise normally leads to injury.
    One thing to monitor is your Resting Heart Rate, if it is getting too high above the normal you need to rest.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible. My personal trainer is always getting on my case for it. You body needs time to rest plus if you don't give your body time to rest it affects the lean muscle mass building. Besides it is healthy, working out for me is also my stress relief so I tend to work out 6-7 days a week. He suggests two on one off three on one off (or vice versa) but never take two or more days off in a row. This is just what my trainer tells me. FYI, the company I train with does not get certified over the internet they actually have degrees in health and fitness to go along with their certifications otherwise I probably would ignore them.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can overtrain your body. This is where mixing up routines is SO important. Doing the same thing over & over will work the same muscles/groups and sooner or later rather than building they will start to break down. When they break down it takes twice as much work to build them back up (I'm speaking from experience, I'm building mine back up to where they were 4 months ago due to pushing too hard - have family that are PT's & PFT's).
    While I do double workouts most days, I've upped the cardio & alternate weight-training between body portions (torso or legs) and Abs. I do not work the same muscle groups with weight/Ab training 2 days in a row, and when I need a break without taking a break I add in T'ai Chi or Yoga for my evening workout instead of weights/strength training . You can still get an incredible burn and both help train sub-muscles creating the long, lean look most would like (unless you're looking for bulk).

From what you're doing though, unless you're noticing swelling/fluid retention in your joints, extreme hunger or lack there-of, you're probably OK. Just don't forget to take your rest days (at least once a week even I take off from my workouts - I may still clean the house/do laundry or car work, but I'm not intentionally "working" muscles :smile: )
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Q "Is this too much everyday with only one day of rest? (Sunday)."

A. No. It's near perfect for you.

Note: "overtraining" is how you get stronger, faster, better.
  • omnisis
    omnisis Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes. But it depends on a lot of individual factors like what you are used to and how quickly you add all that exercise into your life and how much sleep you get on a regular basis. Some people can only be motivated when they are really out of shape by going "all out" with their routines. The thing to keep in mind though is that if you go all out for 60 or 90 or even 365 days and then lose all enthusiasm that you run the risk of ending up in a viscous cycle. It really depends on your goals. I once trained about 8 months for a marathon and was working out 6 days a week with lots of time and distance put in. Though I did succeed in my goal, it wasn't something I wanted to do year after year. Some people enjoy "endurance sports" like triatholon and marathons though and will be happy to put in hours of excercise day-after-day week-after-week for decades. That's certainly commendable, but the average person doesn't need that kind of commitment to stay healthy.

I have come to the personal conclusion that CONSISTENCY trumps VOLUME no matter what kind of excercise you do especially if (like me) you work a sedentary job and don't get the proper amount of daily activity without excercising. Pay attention to your body and to how you feel and don't feel too much pressure to put in X amount of hours or burn X amount of calories just because you need to meet a goal. If you are being consistent with both your diet and your exercise routine most of the time then over time (and by most I really mean like 85% not 51%) you will reach your goals and be able to maintain a healthy weght and lifestyle. Also don't fall into the trap of thinking that excercise is more important than diet. I can achieve a net loss of 300 calories by not eating a slice of pizza for lunch and not spend a single minute excercising!

If you are doing anabolic workouts like lifting weights than rest is even more important because its an integral part of the process.

Also highly second the comments on mixing up your routines. Not only will it help you develop in your goals faster (by avoiding adaptation) but it will keep you from getting mentally bored with your workouts.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Wrong, increasing goal is how you get stronger, faster, better, overtraining is where you go above and beyond this and your body is unable to repair itself, and you end up weaker, sicker, and constantly tired.

We cannot know if this amount is too much or too little for the OP, but if she is not feeding her workouts, even a little exercise may be too much.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options

Wrong, increasing goal is how you get stronger, faster, better, overtraining is where you go above and beyond this and your body is unable to repair itself, and you end up weaker, sicker, and constantly tired.

We cannot know if this amount is too much or too little for the OP, but if she is not feeding her workouts, even a little exercise may be too much.

I feed my work outs. I eat before I get on the treadmill in the morning, I eat lunch (then get in the pool if weather permits) and/ or dinner, then get on the stationary bike, then I try to eat a small snack after. It's just my problem with eating 1,000 calories a day. I'm not there yet.
  • beccaellena
    beccaellena Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hm, maybe add in a protein shake (just one scoop!!) afterward for extra calories? Designer whey is nice and only has about 100 cal per scoop.

I burn around 2000 calories a day.. I'm not sure how many calories I should be eating really..