Decent Brownies 130 cal each

Options
rai8759
rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
Had a major major chocolate craving and this recipe from jillian michaels was in my email! Talk about good timing!! I'll put the recipe as written below. However, I didn't have enough honey so I only added 1/3 cup, added a medium sized banana (smooshed up with the egg, vanilla and oil) instead of apple sauce and used canola oil and spray instead. They came out very light and fluffy and the edges were very crisp (which i like). More dark chocolate than milk chocolate flavor. Great with the banana!!! My version makes 8 decent sized brownies in a 9x9 pan (the one from the site has a different break down).

Fudge Brownies

Ingredients

* olive oil cooking spray
* 2/3 cup mild honey, such as clover or orange blossom
* 1/3 cups natural, unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
* 1/4 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 large egg, at room temperature
* 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square pan with olive oil. Set aside.

Place the honey in a large glass measuring cup. Microwave on high power until the honey is runny and just bubbling, 45 to 60 seconds. Add the cocoa and stir with a fork until well combined. Let cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until well combined.

In a large bowl, combine the applesauce, oil, egg, and vanilla. Whisk together until well blended. Add the honey-cocoa mixture and whisk until smooth. Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and stir until no traces of flour remain. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.

Bake until the surface looks dry around the edges of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it, about 25 minutes. Do not overbake. Place the pan on a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing into 16 squares. (Store the brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.)

Makes 16 (2-inch) brownies

Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 30 mins

Contains Wheat/Gluten
Contains Egg
Vegetarian
Good for Leftovers

Nutrition Facts
Number of Servings: 16
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 86.2
Total Fat: 2.2 g
Saturated Fat:
Cholesterol:
Sodium: 63.6 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 16 g
Dietary Fiber:
Protein: 1.3 g

Replies

• Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks :)
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    bump
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    nice recipe! loving it since you use honey not sugar subs. I tried recipes for brownies with applesauce and then with yoghurt. i prefered the yoghurt version, so I will try yours using yoghurt. thanks for posting!
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ambreee
    ambreee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to give these a try. I have had the fiber one brownies and they are good for the chocolate fix, but I would rather bake my own. I do not care for the peanut butter brownies, they tasted off.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    bump! Any idea if these freeze well? I'm looking for a chocolate fix to replace my hard to find and super expensive Vitatops!
  • joysu
    joysu Posts: 71
    Options
    bump...thanks