Single parenting solutions?

Options
This is definitely more of a vent than anything. Any suggestions are welcome.

I am DYING to get in some serious cardio.

Just about two months ago, my husband and I separated. Prior to the split, I would get up early in the morning: if my baby had been awake around 5, I would feed him, sleep until 6 or so, then go alone. If he hadn't woken up by 6, I would sleep as long as he did, then take him with me while my husband was home sleeping with my other two kids. I began to LOVE this time; mostly just me and my own thoughts for an hour or more (I was in 1/2 marathon training and loving every mile.) - that was something I never got at any other time of the day, and I was actually proud of ME for a change instead of my every-waking-minute being about my kids.

When we separated, this put a serious kink in my routine. I ran TWO times in the month leading up to my 1/2 and still managed to complete it feeling well.

I have forced myself to do various videos at home in the last few weeks; usually 3 times a week. I enjoy them for what they are, appreciate and need the general toning, but I LOATHE them as a cardio outlet. This last Sunday, I got out for a run while my kids spent some time with my husband and I LOOOVED every step of the five miles. It was everything I needed.

While adjusting to my new life, I cannot fit the gym into my budget. I do the videos, but I cannot stay motivated to do the long, hour-hour and a half videos needed to burn the equivalent calories of even a 45 min run. I don't have room for a treadmill or elliptical- nor the funds. I have a double stroller… but three kids. I walk a lot, but when you are walking with kids, it's SLOOOOW- hardly a workout. I've tried the track, and the kids don't cooperate. They are too young for bikes when it's miles involved. My weight loss has crept to a crawl. I'm getting within 10/15 lbs of my goal, and I know that means I have to work that much harder.

I am at a panic for the results and I NEED that stress release of a serious, zone-out, cardio session. How, where, when? My kids are ages 4.5, 3 and 9 mo. I think, more than anything, I am just frustrated at the changes.

Replies

• Dizneylvr1971
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are going through this. I know my local YMCA has a program that can help pay for your membership if you meet certain requirements. That might be worth checking into. Mine also offers free child care while you work out.
  • dmbnj
    dmbnj Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Could you pay a 12 or 13 y.o $5 to watch your kids while you run? What about your ex watching them for an hour a few times a week?
    I'm a single mother too but my kids are 5.5 and 7.5 and are in school.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have friends and family close by that would help me out in that situation. Do you have anyone you can ask to watch them for you three or four times a week for the short amount of time it takes you to get your run on? Also, I know it's kind of old school, but I've read that those little mini trampolines work for those folks who can't run on hard surfaces, so one of those might come in handy.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    What home work out DVD's are you doing?
  • OnMyWay2STay
    OnMyWay2STay Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    babysitting trades. Ideally, with a neighbor. Maybe every other day you watch their kids for an hour, and on the other days you go a run.
  • natifan2
    natifan2 Posts: 13
    Options
    First of all-cute kids. It is hard finding that "me" time when you are a single parent. When my ex left me and the kids-they were just 5 and 9 and being a daddy of 2 on my own-really hard to find time to do much of anything that didn't involve kids. I was lucky way back then and was able to invest in a Bowflex so when the kids were in bed I could work out. I also had the support of others around me that helped alot(including my ex mother in law) It is going to take some time to adjust. Hopefully your husband can have the kids a little more often or maybe you will find someone to watch them just for a short time while you workout. If you have a YMCA-maybe that's the answer. Hopefully you will find that "me" time because I remember how tough it was those 10+ years ago. I hope that you have people around you for support because it can be hard on your own, especially with such young children. I hope things work out for the best for you. Take care

Michael