What will be the best macros nutriments for a vegan at 1200 calories

Options
Hi,

I'm a vegan and new on my Fitness pal. I just quit my Weight Watchers app since it's now useless for a vegan with the new program (I can't track my protein anymore since they come from beans and tofu mostly). With my Fitness pal, they build me a program but I always surpass my glucides by a bit... Maybe it's normal since i'm vegan... Is it??? What will be the best pourcentage in glucides, proteins and lipides for a vegan?

Replies

• DivaDreamer77
    DivaDreamer77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I don't know. Perhaps try the app "Eat This Much". It's a great program. You can set the grocery lists to vegan and it will customize your meals to your calorie range. You can also "like" or "dislike" recipes so they either repeat again later on or never reappear on your menu if you don't like/won't eat them.

Worth checking out in my opinion. Hope this helps!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Assuming you mean protein, fats and carbs, just use the default
  • muse12345
    muse12345 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A big thanks! I was just worried because my carb was a bit higher (I think it's normal because the way a vegan diet is done). Thanks a lot!
  • ShelbyLynnMFP
    ShelbyLynnMFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fellow vegan here! I’m just getting back into tracking, but I find that making sure I have proper supplements (a multivitamin a few days a week, B12, etc.) and planning my meals in advance is helpful. I try to eat whole foods as much as possible. Take a few minutes (or longer) before grocery shopping to review the recipes you’ll be using for the week. Are they too carb heavy? Are they missing some greens? Look and see how you can boost the nutritional value and then shop! As far as protein goes, I do like protein shakes made with Vega or Amazing Greens powder as a low-carb, low-cal way to boost my protein intake and nutrition.
  • ShelbyLynnMFP
    ShelbyLynnMFP Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Also- I tend to sit at 50% carbs, 30% fats, 20% protein normally. For me, these values are perfect.
  • mfz73
    mfz73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started with 80-10-10 (80% Carbs, 10% Fat, 10% Protein), this seems to be the norm. All from whole foods, fruits veggies, legumes, and grains. You can always tweak the numbers to fit your needs. I have been HCLF for over 2 years now and this seems to work best for me. When I eat too much fat I feel sluggish.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I do around 60/20/20 or thereabouts. I would be starving on 80/10/10. I need more fat than that to feel satiated.
  • SashaBaelish
    SashaBaelish Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am vegan as well and I try to aim for the "normal" nutrient recommondations (on the website of the german society for nutrition)

Protein: 0.8g/kg bodyweight to 2.0g/kg bodyweight or 0.36g/lb bodyweight to 0.9g/lb bodyweight
    Fat: 30% of your calories (so if you're eating 1200, 360 calories should come from fat, which makes around 40g)
    Carbs: the rest ;-)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mfz73 wrote: »
    I started with 80-10-10 (80% Carbs, 10% Fat, 10% Protein), this seems to be the norm. All from whole foods, fruits veggies, legumes, and grains. You can always tweak the numbers to fit your needs. I have been HCLF for over 2 years now and this seems to work best for me. When I eat too much fat I feel sluggish.

I wouldn't say this is the norm, it's higher carbohydrate and lower in fat and protein than many vegans eat. For many people (active people, people at a calorie deficit, older people), this is going to be less protein than is required to retain/build muscle.