Holiday Work Schedule + Food Intake + Exercise = BUST!

Options
First of all, I think I am the only person reading these blog/discussion posts, which is fine because it holds me accountable.

I am really struggling. I work for a company that right now is having its "peak period" with Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Christmas, and New Years sales going on. I switched shifts from my normal 10 hour overnight M-Th, to a 12 hour overnight F-Sun. The reason I did this being an extra $4 an hour to go to weekend overnights.... With it being the holiday season, it's a no brainer, right? Sure! That is, until they offered Overtime to work any other shift you wanted.

Again, with me being short on cash and needing to buy presents and pay bills, I chose to pick up every OT shift they offered. This puts me at working anywhere from 120-142 hours a pay period (every 2 weeks). The money is awesome.... BUT my fitness schedule is so lacking. After working 12 hours a day, I go home sleep for 6-8 hours, that gives me about 4-6 hours to do 'stuff'. 'Stuff' being: Go to the gym, shower, get ready for the work day, eat, and make my meal for "lunch" at work (at 1:00 am)..... and that's IF I fall asleep immediately after getting home from work. Now 4-6 hours seems like a fine amount.... until I don't want to get out of bed because I didn't fall asleep until 3 hours after I got home from work. OR, I end up not going to the gym because I don't have time.

It also makes it harder because I rely on my mother to go to the gym with me. We just do Planet Fitness for now because it's cheap. My mother has had a membership for around 5 years (she tans, and does treadmill to earn points and money off her insurance through work), but I have not. I had a membership at one point, but after about 2 months, I stopped going, but continued to pay for a membership for the rest of the year. This time, I plan on getting my own membership (so I don't have to rely on her membership to go to the gym) but I wanted to make sure I would actually stick to this thing for more than a month or 2.

I have officially surpassed the 50 day mark on MFP and am to the point of being addicted (in a good way) to eating healthier and working out. I crave gym time, and when I miss it, my day just doesn't feel right.

Luckily, next sunday is my last night on this shift, and I can go back to my normal schedule. I am still losing, but I know I could potentially be eating better and losing more if I could just get my schedule under control. Thank goodness I am almost done with all this holiday OT.
Any who, for anyone who actually does read this, I hope youre having a great day and a successful fitnes journey. Happy Holidays and I'll see you around MFP!

24 year old female
Height: 5 foot 7 inches
Starting Weight: 218 lbs (October 21st, 2017)
Current Weight: 206.8 (December 6th, 2017)
Goal Weight: 143 lbs

Replies

• IliBurgos
    IliBurgos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! Keep your eyes on the prize. Have a very Merry Christmas! ⛄☃️
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I think you had a challenging set of circumstances, and just keep your head up and do your best with diet until next Sunday.

I would also suggest that next year you really think about what you can manage before accepting every overtime shift that is offered. More money is nice, but you only get one body in this lifetime, and maintaining it is the single most important thing you can do for yourself.
  • kb7202017
    kb7202017 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think you had a challenging set of circumstances, and just keep your head up and do your best with diet until next Sunday.

I would also suggest that next year you really think about what you can manage before accepting every overtime shift that is offered. More money is nice, but you only get one body in this lifetime, and maintaining it is the single most important thing you can do for yourself.

Unfortunately, I accepted OT before even starting this journey... Also, I see your point completely, but working this OT earned me approx $7,400 extra in a 6 week period. That's hard to pass up.

I think I just need to figure out a better way to manage my lack of 'free time', if you will.
  • kb7202017
    Options
    IliBurgos wrote: »
    You're doing great! Keep your eyes on the prize. Have a very Merry Christmas! ⛄☃️

Thank you! You as well! (:
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a really difficult situation, but at least you know that it's only temporary and there is an end in sight. Life happens and sometimes we have to change plans because everything doesn't revolve around our health and fitness plans unfortunately! I totally sympathise with craving the gym and missing it when you're away - but at least that should make it easier for you to get back into your routine once this crazy overtime period is over.

Is there any way you could incorporate exercise into your work days to make you miss the gym less? Like going for a power walk on your coffee break, or doing a short set of squats or other bodyweight exercises?

If you're still managing to eat at a deficit and are still losing weight (despite the lack of sleep and the added stress) that's a major victory and you should be proud of yourself. Just watch that you aren't over-doing it and that you are getting enough fuel for your very long days. Don't be afraid to eat at maintenance if you need to - it won't set you back and it's better than burning out and going off the rails completely. Good luck - not much longer now and you'll be back to normal!
  • kb7202017
    Options
    aemsley05 wrote: »
    That sounds like a really difficult situation, but at least you know that it's only temporary and there is an end in sight. Life happens and sometimes we have to change plans because everything doesn't revolve around our health and fitness plans unfortunately! I totally sympathise with craving the gym and missing it when you're away - but at least that should make it easier for you to get back into your routine once this crazy overtime period is over.

Is there any way you could incorporate exercise into your work days to make you miss the gym less? Like going for a power walk on your coffee break, or doing a short set of squats or other bodyweight exercises?

If you're still managing to eat at a deficit and are still losing weight (despite the lack of sleep and the added stress) that's a major victory and you should be proud of yourself. Just watch that you aren't over-doing it and that you are getting enough fuel for your very long days. Don't be afraid to eat at maintenance if you need to - it won't set you back and it's better than burning out and going off the rails completely. Good luck - not much longer now and you'll be back to normal!

Thank you for this! I actually work from a desk, notice I didn't say at a desk because I hardly ever sit down. I sort orders into their correct spots per department and walk them to the departments, so I am constantly moving. I do an average of 12,000-14,000 steps during a shift just at work alone, so I am lucky in that sense. I just love my time in the gym so much. I wish I could do squats or something of that sort, but unfortunately my office is in the middle of a warehouse with windows on all sides, so the embarrassment factor would be there (I know I shouldn't care, but I'm only human, right?).

• aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    kb7202017 wrote: »
    Thank you for this! I actually work from a desk, notice I didn't say at a desk because I hardly ever sit down. I sort orders into their correct spots per department and walk them to the departments, so I am constantly moving. I do an average of 12,000-14,000 steps during a shift just at work alone, so I am lucky in that sense. I just love my time in the gym so much. I wish I could do squats or something of that sort, but unfortunately my office is in the middle of a warehouse with windows on all sides, so the embarrassment factor would be there (I know I shouldn't care, but I'm only human, right?).

Yeah, I work in an open-plan office as well and am not comfortable doing squats at my desk either! Our company is very male-dominated though so you almost never bump into anyone in the ladies' toilets, so I often do a quick set of squats or lunges when I go for a bathroom break! It helps that there's double doors leading into the toilets so you get a little advanced warning if someone is about to come in. I haven't been caught mid-squat yet, lol!
  • kb7202017
    Options
    aemsley05 wrote: »

Yeah, I work in an open-plan office as well and am not comfortable doing squats at my desk either! Our company is very male-dominated though so you almost never bump into anyone in the ladies' toilets, so I often do a quick set of squats or lunges when I go for a bathroom break! It helps that there's double doors leading into the toilets so you get a little advanced warning if someone is about to come in. I haven't been caught mid-squat yet, lol!

Hey! That's a great idea! I work with about 85% male population as well, so that would work! Plus, we have one bathroom on the work floor and another in the front lobby, there is never anyone in the front bathroom! Thanks for the tip!(:

I'm glad you haven't been caught in mid-squat, that'd be fun to awkwardly explain! lol!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    weight loss is about your calorie deficit, so prioritise sleeping and food prep in the time off you have, any exercise is then a bonus.

alternatively, a lot of people aim to just maintain their weight over the holiday period - less stressful that way.
  • kb7202017
    Options
    weight loss is about your calorie deficit, so prioritise sleeping and food prep in the time off you have, any exercise is then a bonus.

alternatively, a lot of people aim to just maintain their weight over the holiday period - less stressful that way.

You're right, and that's what I should be doing. I just love when I see that scale number go down (even though I know it shouldn't always go down b/c of weight lifting and all over inches loss).

Thanks for the reminder to prioritize, I'm pretty bad about that.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, I accepted OT before even starting this journey... Also, I see your point completely, but working this OT earned me approx $7,400 extra in a 6 week period. That's hard to pass up.

I think I just need to figure out a better way to manage my lack of 'free time', if you will.

I can definitely understand the appeal of an extra 7k, especially around the holidays. That said, maybe reduce your extra shifts by one a week or so? Then you can still make lots of extra cash but also have a little extra time for yourself.

One thing you might try is focusing on your sleep hygiene. I work overnights so I completely get that we can't always just fall asleep just because we want to. And on nights we REALLY want to, sometimes that makes it even harder! But you might notice what makes it easier for you to fall asleep: a totally dark room or a sleep mask? Silence or peaceful sounds like music or rainfall? Essential oils with relaxing scents like lavendar? (Personally, I sleep best in a mostly dark room with a little light and sounds of rain.)

I feel like you are asking an awful lot of yourself. Sometimes the issue isn't how we're managing our time or our money, it's how little of them we have to manage! Be kind to yourself. You deserve it.
  • kb7202017
    Options

I can definitely understand the appeal of an extra 7k, especially around the holidays. That said, maybe reduce your extra shifts by one a week or so? Then you can still make lots of extra cash but also have a little extra time for yourself.

One thing you might try is focusing on your sleep hygiene. I work overnights so I completely get that we can't always just fall asleep just because we want to. And on nights we REALLY want to, sometimes that makes it even harder! But you might notice what makes it easier for you to fall asleep: a totally dark room or a sleep mask? Silence or peaceful sounds like music or rainfall? Essential oils with relaxing scents like lavendar? (Personally, I sleep best in a mostly dark room with a little light and sounds of rain.)

I feel like you are asking an awful lot of yourself. Sometimes the issue isn't how we're managing our time or our money, it's how little of them we have to manage! Be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

I think I just had weird timing with starting this journey. I started October 21st, and our peak season started November 5th. I had just gotten in the groove of going to the gym regularly, and eating WAY better for my schedule to get busy. BUT, in the same breath, I'm glad I did just because if I didn't, it may have just been another failed "New Years Resolution".

I agree completely, I'm glad you also work night shift so you totally understand the idea of it. It's easy for others to tell us not to complain about our sleep schedule, when it's incredibly hard to fall asleep when the sun is up and the world is moving around you. When I was a kid, I had this stuffed cat that was lavender scented, that was laid over my eyes that helped me sleep. Maybe I should try lavender again. Thanks for the tip!

It's just so hard not to ask a lot of yourself, especially when you're used to a strict food and fitness schedule. If you don't ask a lot of yourself, who will?
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I’d say to go for it. Go for the extra money, and go for weight loss. Aim high and you’ll get more, even if you fall short. You’re young and can handle it. I’d worry the least about exercising since you walk so much. This is life, and many times real life gets in the way of our plans. Just keep your calories down. You’re doing great!!
  • kb7202017
    Options
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I’d say to go for it. Go for the extra money, and go for weight loss. Aim high and you’ll get more, even if you fall short. You’re young and can handle it. I’d worry the least about exercising since you walk so much. This is life, and many times real life gets in the way of our plans. Just keep your calories down. You’re doing great!!

Thank you so much! I am finally able to see the end in sight, Sunday is my last day of crazy schedule! I can't wait to be back on track with everything. Although, I have still been losing weight, it just hasn't felt as great as I have before the stressful work schedule.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You're still losing! If this work schedule is only temporary and you're still losing, you're fine!

You're trying to do even more than the ridiculous amount of everything you're doing, though that's understandable if you're stressed.

Take a deep breath, and give yourself a virtual hug. You rock!
  • kb7202017
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    You're still losing! If this work schedule is only temporary and you're still losing, you're fine!

You're trying to do even more than the ridiculous amount of everything you're doing, though that's understandable if you're stressed.

Take a deep breath, and give yourself a virtual hug. You rock!

Thank you so much! Luckily I did continue to lose, which I was scared of considering all the 'extra' things I was doing. Thankfully though, today is my last day on this insane schedule! I look forward to getting back on my regular eating/working out/sleeping schedule. Temporary is just that, temporary. I see that now.
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you’re doing a great job, especially given your circumstances. I wouldn’t worry about working out at all right now. Make sleep the priority. If you get adequate rest your cortisol will stay lower than if you cut into sleep and try to squeeze in exercise. Focus on sleep and eating in your calorie budget.
  • kb7202017
    Options
    92019start wrote: »
    It sounds like you’re doing a great job, especially given your circumstances. I wouldn’t worry about working out at all right now. Make sleep the priority. If you get adequate rest your cortisol will stay lower than if you cut into sleep and try to squeeze in exercise. Focus on sleep and eating in your calorie budget.

Thank you! Trust me when I say, sleep was majorly a priority! I skipped the gym on a few days when I knew I needed more sleep!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I save a lot of time by working out first thing when I wake up (at home). Something like 30 day shred or T25 that literally takes 30 min or less to do would be great for the holiday season. You can always go back to the gym when your hours go down.
  • 92019start
    92019start Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I save a lot of time by working out first thing when I wake up (at home). Something like 30 day shred or T25 that literally takes 30 min or less to do would be great for the holiday season. You can always go back to the gym when your hours go down.

I do this too. It feels great having it done and out of the way, freeing up the rest of the day.