PCOS and sugar

Options
Does anyone struggle with PCOS and controlling your sugars? I’m just starting to waiver into the pre diabetes category and i need to adjust my eating because i don’t want to start meds... can anyone share some good meal tips or recipes for low glycemic index foods or meals?

Replies

• jhunter4431
    jhunter4431 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes i cook this A LOT already haha- thanks though- at least i know im doing something right
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Does anyone struggle with PCOS and controlling your sugars? I’m just starting to waiver into the pre diabetes category and i need to adjust my eating because i don’t want to start meds... can anyone share some good meal tips or recipes for low glycemic index foods or meals?

What are your specific goals? Have you asked to see a dietitian?

You can see what foods have sugar on MFP, although I think for pre-diabetes it's more about moderating or limiting total carbs and making sure they are combined with fiber, protein, and perhaps fat.

I find that outside of desserts, packaged foods that happen to have added sugar (read the label), and fruit (which may or may not be a problem), it's easy to avoid sugar. Almost no regular meals I consume have much sugar unless I include fruit. But if limiting overall carbs is an issue, a good idea is build around protein and vegetables (protein means meat (inc seafood), eggs, maybe dairy, but that has more sugar, and beans/lentils (inc soybeans, such as tofu). Depending on the carb count (beans/legumes other than soybeans will have more carbs), you may want to add in whole grains, potatoes or sweet potatoes, so on, but limit the amount based on your goal.

If you need more variety, bring in multiple kinds of vegetables, mushrooms, maybe some nuts and seeds for flavor, so on.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    My endocrinologist recommended increasing (or starting to) exercise more so than trying to control pre-diabetes with food - great for blood sugar sensitivity. HIIT, walking, swimming, zumba, jogging, weight lifting, whatever you'd like.

Swapping some refined carbs to some higher-fiber carbs may be beneficial as well. Beans, potatoes with skin, raspberries, apples, grains like barley and oats, etc. Maybe look into the Skinny Taste blog - slow-cooker chicken taco chili, for example - for higher protein and fiber recipes.