question about lifting weights with a calorie deficit

Options
Here's some background info - I've lost 80lbs this year at age 49/50. I'm currently 175 and 5'4".
I have a meniscus tear in my knee, so aerobic activity isn't an option until I get that fixed. All of my weight loss was done with diet change and slightly more walking than before.

I still have more to lose, but I would like to start lifting weights (I know I've lost some muscle mass, and I know it's good for women of my age). My question is, will it be beneficial if I continue to eat at a calorie deficit?

Will I be able to gain muscle?

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Here's some background info - I've lost 80lbs this year at age 49/50. I'm currently 175 and 5'4".
    I have a meniscus tear in my knee, so aerobic activity isn't an option until I get that fixed. All of my weight loss was done with diet change and slightly more walking than before.

I still have more to lose, but I would like to start lifting weights (I know I've lost some muscle mass, and I know it's good for women of my age). My question is, will it be beneficial if I continue to eat at a calorie deficit?

Will I be able to gain muscle?

You will preserve the muscle you have - which is a good thing. If you've never lifted weights before, and are still looking to lose fat, you have some advantage as you can gain a small amount of muscle based on energy you may have in fat stores. It's not going to be a lot though, as in general you need the building blocks (i.e. calories) to build with.

That said, strength training is always good, and has the most impact on your body shape as you lose weight. It's always beneficial.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Lifting while losing weight is very beneficial... it is going to help preserve the muscle you have now and have positive affects on your body composition as you get to goal. Can you build muscle in a deficit? Maybe a little bit but that should not discourage you from not lifting weights.

Definitely make sure you are all clear with the meniscus tear though, I don't know much about that, I wouldn't start anything until you see a PT to sort through what you can and cannot do until it is fixed.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Lifting while losing weight is very beneficial... it is going to help preserve the muscle you have now and have positive affects on your body composition as you get to goal. Can you build muscle in a deficit? Maybe a little bit but that should not discourage you from not lifting weights.

Definitely make sure you are all clear with the meniscus tear though, I don't know much about that, I wouldn't start anything until you see a PT to sort through what you can and cannot do until it is fixed.

Thank you for the response. I just saw an orthopedist about my knee and will be going for an MRI soon to determine if I need surgery. Whatever weight training I do isn't going to involve squats or deadlifts (I'm very familiar with weight training) until my knee is heeled, and even then, I'd go light.

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Consider swimming and water training.
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Also, we ladies over 40 need to remember that weight-bearing exercise helps preserve our bone mass. That another great reason to lift weights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Lifting or performing some form of resistance training is always beneficial simply from a general fitness perspective. In a calorie deficit it will help you maintain the muscle mass you have...you will also get stronger which is always beneficial. It is good for bone density as well.

In regards to gaining muscle, you will ultimately change your body composition...but you aren't going to pack on a bunch of muscle in a calorie deficit.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options
    Consider swimming and water training.

That's not an option for me, as I live in the North East US where it's only outdoor swimming weather for 2 months out of the year, I don't have a pool, and I work full time with a 1.5-2 hour commute. I have a gym at work that I can join, or I can workout at home in the evenings.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.

• gabriellejayde
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Lifting or performing some form of resistance training is always beneficial simply from a general fitness perspective. In a calorie deficit it will help you maintain the muscle mass you have...you will also get stronger which is always beneficial. It is good for bone density as well.

In regards to gaining muscle, you will ultimately change your body composition...but you aren't going to pack on a bunch of muscle in a calorie deficit.

Thank you (and everyone who responded).
    I think I will get some weights or resistance bands, plus do some crunches and pushups.
  • greenlizard72
    greenlizard72 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You'll at least maintain more muscle, if you are consuming adequate protein. Which is better than losing muscle with your fat loss.

Plus, lifting is fun! Start now.

Here's a list of pretty much every possible program out there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Thank you for this!!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't lift heavy. (I don't belong to a gym and don't have anyone at home who could spot me, so I've got some safety concerns. Plus, a few months ago, I'm not sure I could have lifted 40 lbs more than once or twice.) I started with resistance tubes and bands. Then I bought a book on strength training that uses primarily dumbbells, as well as body-weight exercises and some that require additional equipment, like ankle weights, a cardio step, or a stability ball.

Presently, depending on the exercise, I'm working out with anything from a pair of 8's to a pair of 15's (I've gradually increased my loads as I've been able to). And what I've noticed along the way:

More energy and stamina overall.
    More muscle definition (I know that when people talk about 'toning', that's not really what it is, but in the sense people talk about it, my legs, arms, and shoulders are toned).
    Stronger trunk muscles, even if the fat hasn't revealed them yet. I had surgery last month and the nurse commented on them when I was able to sit up in post-op without having the bed cranked up behind me.

I don't believe I've actually built much muscle. I'd been losing weight for 4 months before I started resistance training. But as the fat has burned off, the muscle below has surfaced and that's something that just hasn't happened before during my earlier weight loss attempts (when I was focused mostly on cardio).

I've still got a little ways to go before I hit my goal weight, but yes, weight lifting/strength training/resistance training IS beneficial even in a calorie deficit, even if you're not lifting heavy.