Getting the running bug!

Options
Alright, so I've done running here and there throughout my youth and young adult life through sports, but never running on its own. I have been reading a lot on MFP forums that has got me wanting to try it out. I am 274 lbs right now, but hearty and hale otherwise.

Did any of you start running at a higher weight? What advice can you give? Is there a good resource for showing me the correct gait etc. to avoid injury?

TIA!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Start by working up to a brisk walk 45 minutes no stops. Having been your weight, I suggest being cautious about running until later. It depends on your current fitness, strength, and age. But some people will tell you it's OK. There are so many other things you can do, why risk your joints? Joint damage doesn't show up til much (years) later.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I agree about starting with walking. When you can walk briskly for an hour, start short jogging segments. To lessen impact, make sure to buy shoes that have good cushion. Do your runs on either a treadmill or dirt/grass as much as possible as the impact is less. For inspiration, read some of Mirna V's blogs: http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.com/
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start with getting fitted with good shoes. Hoka makes some with a lot of cushion. I run on pavement so I try to run as if I am running on eggs and trying not to break them. I started with fast walking til I was up to three miles a day and then added short running intervals. I gradually went to just running. Get a running app that can track your progress and stats. It can be very motivating. I use Runtastic and it also keep track of my shoe milage so I know when to replace them.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest starting with a run/walk interval training program like Couch-to-5K, respecting the rest days and repeating or extending weeks as necessary, rather than trying to figure it out on your own. A program like that will have you build strength and endurance gradually and help you not to put too much injury-causing stress on your body.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    C25k, and ask Santa for some running shoes - but get for for them.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Get decent shoes - just don't get stuck on a brand. HOKA is fine (I hate them but other love 'em). Go to a running store and see what they suggest. There are shoes made for heavier runners.

Get a program like Couch to 5K and stick with it. Repeat weeks as needed but don't do more than the program suggests.

Don't overthink it. Go out and run. Have fun.

Good luck.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I started at 200lb and, personally, didn't feel up to running so increased my walking with quicker or longer sessions until i'd lost 15lb and had got fitter. I started C25K, followed it as designed and have just finished it sunday by doing a (slow) 5K fun run - agree with the shoes comments above.
  • jennasbarton
    jennasbarton Posts: 23 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Be prepared to start out slow, get good shoes and a good sports bra. C25k and similar programes are helpful to a lot of people, also a tracking app like Strava can be really motivating to keep an idea of your distances and improvement.
    I don't know about joint pain etc, that happens to people when they get older regardless of how much they ran but obviously get any sharp, consistent pains or injuries checked out by someone who knows what they are talking about! Good luck.