Question for men.

Options
How do I convince my husband to join me on this weight loss journey? He has always been patient with me being overweight, but now that I'm losing I want him to lose too. He has about 20 to lose, so not a huge amount. He is more motivated by a fitness goal than a number on the scale, but his job is sedatairy he has long days.
I don't want to hurt his feelings.

Replies

• mccormf1
    mccormf1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try to encourage without badgering him. It's tough sitting around all day then getting motivated to do anything. Maybe he'll see your success and change but if not, nothing changes, he's still the man you married
  • ssaharea
    ssaharea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself here. I was motivated to track my weight and eat well when I found an activity I really enjoyed. I started running and I got hooked! At the beginning I made great progress with my runs without thinking about nutrition. When my progress started to slow down, I began tracking my food intake.

I signed up as a member at my local YMCA. They have a lot of activities and sports that you can sign up for. One idea might be to sign up with your husband and try different activities to see if there is something you both enjoy doing together.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Not a man, but I do have a husband who has joined me and lost 13 lbs so far. I challenged him to log his food and activity for a week and see how many calories he ate and how sedentary he was, and after that he joined me at the gym and running, and decided on his own to cut back on drinking Cokes.
  • jamrow35
    jamrow35 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm on the opposite end. I am the one really pushing and trying to get my wife more into fitness.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Who does the cooking?Is it possible to switch out a few healthier recipes and ingredients without too much fuss? Start gradually at first, and add more subtly?
    Maybe start incorpoating more active togetherness time, like wandering shopping centers or downtown together, evening walks to just hang out and talk or a dance class together?
    Otherwise talk to him honestly about your concerns, but maybe after a couple weeks of making sure he knows that you still find him very attractive, and that it is his health, not his appearance is what you are concerned about.
    After that, don't push it. He's an adult, and it's ultimately upto him to decide if, when and how he wants to deal with his body.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,473 Member
    Options
    Lead by example. It might work but don't count on it.

You can likely make sure he does nothing by telling him.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can't...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    CryingBlue wrote: »
    How do I convince my husband to join me on this weight loss journey? He has always been patient with me being overweight, but now that I'm losing I want him to lose too. He has about 20 to lose, so not a huge amount. He is more motivated by a fitness goal than a number on the scale, but his job is sedatairy he has long days.

You don't.

He has to want to do it.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Mine is never bothered with weight - but he does enjoy going to the gym with me.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    CryingBlue wrote: »

Ask him to join you while you are doing a certain item.
    One thing I truly miss about my ex is the workout videos he'd do with me or the gym time we had together.
    It's a great bonding time.
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Echoing suggestions above, I'd make it more about eating better, in terms of food and food quality. Packing lunches is as much about budgeting as it is about diet. So is cooking at home vs eating out. My worst head space was feeling I "needed" to lose weight, and not owning it as something I wanted to do for myself. My wife has been very supportive with my changes, and didn't make a huge mention of my weight going up, other than as a health concern.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Offer to work out together as a fun thing, but don't push it. Work out for yourself; he's the only one who can decide to make changes to his own body. Would YOU like it if he were nagging you? The exceptions are: if it's causing problems in your relationship, you need to discuss it; also, if everything he wants to eat is unhealthy, you're going to need to figure out together how you're going to manage meals and shopping.
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you. These are all great suggestions and advice. I did get him to download this app and he has started to chart his food. It's a great start and I'm feeling really good about it.
  • sendtoharvey
    sendtoharvey Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    do weekend athletic activities that you can both do together... rock climbing in the gym was pretty fun.
    or whatever sport maybe?